Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Shadows Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Shadows « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 5:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Prompted by Howard on the media thread, I thought it useful to start throwing up a few shadows cast by the Jack the Ripper case, for others to follow or ignore.

May 29th 1894.
Jean Tremblier, a passenger arriving at Dunkirk by steamer from Buenos Ayres, reputed to be carrying the body of a woman in his luggage with mutilations so similar to the JtR crimes that the French police alerted Scotland Yard.

December 10th 1894.
Reginald Saunderson murdered Augusta Dawes and stupidly sent a signed confession to the police.
He signed the confession as ‘Jack the Ripper’.

March 28th 1895.
William Grant, aged 34, a lunatic at large in Whitechapel, was sentenced to ten years penal servitude for a vicious attack upon a woman, an attack that the police thought was powerfully similar to those of the Whitechapel Murderer.

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 903
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howdy, A.P.

The problem with Tremblier is that when the police got to him, there was no body in the trunk--just a bunch of money. I have no idea what happened to him, if he really murdered someone or not. http://casebook.org/cgi-bin/forum/show.cgi?tpc=4920&post=107595#POST107595

Dave

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2157
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Dave
Yes, I knew the body wasn’t there but instead a big pile of money, however if I read the reports correctly the murder had been committed back in South America, and the assumption was that he had slung the body out in the Atlantic on the comfortable crossing.

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 904
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi A.P.

If true, then that's just plain carelessness on Tremblier's part, losing a whole body like that :-) The only press about this incident that I ever saw is the May 29 1894 Times piece from their correspondent in France.

I can barely remember a similar case which I think happened much later. Someone murdered a woman and threw her overboard. I think it was one of the first times a conviction was secured without a body. I'm really fuzzy on it; I think the case was tried in England.

Dave

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave,

You are probably thinking of the murder of Gay Gibson who was killed by James Camb and pushed out of a porthole into the Atlantic in 1947.

Camb's death sentence was commuted and he was later released. After molesting some girls, he was sent back inside. I think I saw that he was still alive about twelve years ago but would expect that he's gone by now.

Stan

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 905
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 6:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Stan! That's exactly who I was trying to remember.

Dave

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2159
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 2:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some more interesting shadows for you:

June 4th 1888.
Barnard Krell.
Feloniously cutting and wounding his wife, charged with attempted murder.
Case discharged as wife refused to testify.

September 28th 1888.
'Ever said your prayers?' asked John Allinson of his wife when he set about her with a chopper in a Pimlico street, and continued chopping her until his chopper broke.

November 7th 1888.
Frank Hall, seaman, attacked a woman with his fists and then held her down and slit her throat.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 2:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been looking at men who attacked prostitutes in the East End in 1888 but were interrupted by the police or others before the attack could progress to something perhaps more violent.

Patrick Sweeney, aged 21, attacked what he assumed was a prostitute in March of 1888 in Wapping and was giving her quite a severe beating when yet another assumed prostitute came to her aid; and then the entire fracas was settled by the arrival of the police.
Although arrested I have yet to determine his fate, but it is well worth remembering that in similar attacks the man may have been fined a fiver and then released.
I like this case.

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3565
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 2:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you indeed, AP. Enlightening and illustrious as usual.

All the best
G. Andersson, author/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 639
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 3:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP--I noticed sometime ago that in the Saunderson case Swanson showed up in court; clearly not a coincidence that the Chief Inspector involved in the Ripper case took an interest in this one, which puts some doubt that anyone at Scotland Yard was 100% convinced in the guilt of Kosminski or Cutbush. They were still doing some minor Ripper hunting in 1895. I seem to recall that Saunderson, like Cutbush, had a father in the government. 'William Grant' is the same as 'Grainger' the supsect that Lawende allegedly identified, and thus was also mentioned as a Ripper suspect.

ps. for 'father' read 'relative.'

(Message edited by rjpalmer on June 11, 2005)

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 544
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 3:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If this sort of incident-finding could continue,as A.P. has generously devoted her time to doing so far, perhaps more incidents,as my main man R.J. has shown, will reveal that other high ranking officials attended trials of men and their savage assaults of women,further exposing that Anderson was full of it with the declaration of a definitely ascertained fact..

Thanks,as usual,to both A.P. and Rajah.....
HowBrown

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2184
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 4:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Folks
I've got a blinder here:

August 24th 1891.

A 'gentleman' by the name of Percy Greathead is apprehended by the police after pulling a loaded revolver and threatening to put a bullet in the head of an 'unfortunate' who accosts him on the steps of a house in Queen Anne-Street, Whitechapel, and says to him: 'Is that Jack the Ripper?'
When examined by the police he is found to be carrying a fully loaded pistol, six spare rounds and a 'huge bowie knife' in a sheath.
The 'gentleman's' excuse is that he 'had a desire to see the scene of the Whitechapel Murders' and had been dropped off in Whitechapel by a cab at Aldgate and had been blind drunk for two weeks or for as long as he can remember.
This is a jewel.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 5:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes RJ
they seemed to be still searching for the Ripper right up till the time when uncle Charles finally found a cure for his headache.
Then all was dust and blaggery.
Uncle Charles was a headache in a high place.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2218
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 5:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shadows that walk are a rare find.

August 20th 1886.

Two women complain to PC Chapman, 344G, that they are being pursued by a man with a knife who threatens to stab them.
After a few moments, Daniel Traynor, 39, of Notting-Hill comes into view, wildly rushing about the streets waving a large knife.
Arrested, charged and fined 10 bob for his trouble.
Back on street same day.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2259
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 4:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two 'shadows' from 35 Dorset Street.

Jan. 17th 1889.
Henry Buckley, 36, labourer.
Stabbing of unusual circumstance actually in the common lodging house at 35 Dorset Street.
He followed a couple who had paid eight pence for a room for the night, entered their room and refused to leave, was ejected by the man, but upon the couple leaving an hour or so later, stabbed the man.
He sounds well dodgy.

June 26th 1889.

James Collins.
Cutting and wounding Emma Edwards.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2131
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 5:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Useful Snippets these AP esp. if anything else on them shows up.What happened to Henry Buckley?Was he fined ten bob too?

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 5:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry got six months.
He stabbed a man, not a woman.
The ten bob rule applies to men who stab women.

I just like doing this, Natalie, it stops me drinking so much.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2133
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP -Then there can be no better reason for continuing!
and better still it livens up the boards no end!

I felt lousy today-coudnt concentrate on anything no painting, no boards -nothing
comforted myself with a lot of sweets which actually made me feel worse!
-one of my black days-
Still-this too will pass!
Natalie

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 4:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to hear that, Nats - chin up sweetie and get that lovely smile back in your eyes.

Fridays should be full of promise.

Love,

Caz
XXX

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2137
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheers Caz,
What a pleasant surprise!Now that really cheered me up!
I am OK now,though.I was annoyed with myself earlier for wasting the afternoon messing about but I have now decided it doesnt matter!
Looking forward to the next talk-Alan on Sir Robert-should be good!
See you then I hope.
And thanks again for your sweet words!
Love
Nxxxx

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 5:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie
Black days can only be dealt with by quality brandy, leave the sweeties to the Druitts.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4621
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And Natalie, remember what the Goons sang :

When you're drowning in the waters of a shark-infested bay

Just give a little whistle, and whistle your cares away

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well now I notice my psoriasis is having fun-I"ve a big red patch of it on my knee,damn it!Ah yes...
I"ve had those days AP.....and they were wonderful!
Now though I don"t even drink wine.
I paint instead!

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2140
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like that Robert-its brilliant.Thats the spirit hey!

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2277
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

November 16th 1888. East London.

The ‘gentleman’, Collingwood Hilton Fenwick, 26, a man of obvious means, engaged an attractive whore for the princely sum of a half-a-crown, but once in her room he stabbed her in the belly and then ran away.
Fenwick was followed from the house by others, who were frightened to apprehend him because they thought him to be Jack the Ripper.
The court thought him a gentleman and I have not been able to find a sentence for the crime.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3276
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP -

We've got a few articles on the Fenwick incident on the Casebook, though I don't believe any of them mention the ultimate outcome of the trial.

http://casebook.org/about_the_casebook/cbindex.html?showindex=Collingwood Fenwick

(Message edited by admin on July 06, 2005)

(Message edited by admin on July 06, 2005)
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2280
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Stephen.
I usually do a search of the Casebook site before posting these 'shadows', but guess what?
I didn't this time!
Naughty me.
I will read the articles; and also see if I cannot find the outcome of the trial.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2302
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 5:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This boy I like a lot. He is like the Zodiac time travelling.
Started shooting up women who were laying flowers on graves at Brompton cemetery in 1892, then shot himself.
Left a railway timetable and some other gibberish.
He was trying to give clues before he shot himself.
Very provoking little case.
‘The Times’, August 27th 1892. Murder and Suicide in Brompton Cemetery.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 5:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RJ
I should have responded to your post concerning Swanson sitting in courts a long time ago, but hey the filthy drink got the better of me.
It seems this is not uncommon, for I found Mac the Knife - Macnaghten the memo writer - sitting in on the most mundane and foolish of cases at court, time after time, even at the apex of his miserable career.
Something I’m still looking at.
But it happened all the time.
Maybe these top gun cops got bored at Scotland Yard - or the tea was weak and the bacon greasy - so they went to court and got decent bacon butties and a cup of Kearley & Tonge’s finest?

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2328
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 9:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While checking entries into the Lambeth Workhouse I came upon this remarkable individual who I think deserves to be looked at very closely.
In March of 1886 Thomas Bradford Donaghue, the son of a well known London surgeon, was confined to Lambeth Workhouse where he refused to 'work'.
This young man had completed all his exams to qualify as a medical practioner.

Sadly I am unable to find more, so was hoping someone else might have more information on this young man.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2388
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check out these two guys, done for attempted murder on the 2nd May 1887 at Lambeth Police Court and then confined to the local lunatic asylum, which means they were not criminally charged.
A certain Neville Stiff and a certain Samuel Self.
Problem is that they were the same person.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 5:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gosh you are on top form tonight AP.I think I must leave this for a while as I have a headache
[probably because I"ve been squabbling on an art thread!].
Amazing that they were one and the same---could there have been a "pas de trois?"----I mean could it have been himself---Tommy?

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2481
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 4:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More Shadows.

September 26th 1888.
John Harrington, 23, from a family with a long history of abuse. His sister stabbed him and he beat the crap out of her all the time, as well as his mother. East End boy.
Fined a fiver for stamping on his sister's face.

September 29th 1888.
James Johnson. A 'pale looking' American who was running around Wandsworth threatening to stab women with his long knife.

October 1st 1888.
Charles Carver. A beggar who handed out pamphlets about the Whitechapel Murders whilst praying that 'persons might be saved from cutting up men and women'.
Note his prayer was for the killer and not the victims.
He became violent when folks didn't cross his greasy palm with silver.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2419
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 5:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI AP,
Maybe you should retitle this thread "East End Thugs circa 1888!"because "Shadows"has begun to sound rather fey and out of kilta for the horror stories you have been digging up over here!
I do realise you are making a very valid point in that the backdrop to these murders needs to be properly understood in order to be able to evaluate the evidence we have accurately and that the reason many of the women might not have come forward at the time-such as Pearly Poll etc was probably a great fear of being murdered themselves by their minders/pimps or their pimps gangland friends.But I honestly think it would therefore be helpful to place these criminal gangs
in the wider context of Whitechapel as a whole
because by focusing solely on a series of atrocities , committed mainly by brutal males an impression is given that this was the everyday ,most likely behaviour of the entire male population of the East End .

Ofcourse its true that like every area of London and other big cities, then and now,there were gangs of armed thugs, criminals ,pimps,thieves, murderers and wife beaters etc ,but much of the population of Whitechapel seem to have also been reasonably decent , known in fact ,for their sense of community and helping each other out in times of trouble.
London is still like this, with pockets of criminality all over and all the various nationalities donating their own ebb and flow of criminal types to the melting pot -as you probably know over this last five or six years tit has been gangs coming over from Kosovo- mostly pimps and drug dealers for example- [and by all accounts they are every bit as vicious and bullying towards their "girls"as any seem to have been in Whitechapel in 1888], anyway these gangs are said to be running 70% of the drug and prostitution rings in London and elsewhere in the UK[ this is according to several recent TV documentaries and press reports]but right next door to these goings on there are plenty of perfectly respectable families trying to get on with their lives in as normal a way as possible and I would guess this is how its always been in London and other big cities.
Sorry if I am being a pain here....the thread just seemed to be creating a slightly distorted picture of how things actually were regarding the male population of the East End.
Natalie
ps Even Mrs Richardson,the landlady at number 29 Hanbury Street told the inquest that she had never needed to lock her doors because she had never feared any of her neighbours and had always had decent neighbours!---and this was just a few hundred yards from the notorious Dorset Street!

pps apparently our main drug supplies are now coming over from Afghanistan[todays news]-what next!!!
N

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2486
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 1:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Natalie
you are quite right of course; and indeed not much attention has been paid to the many gangs that controlled the streets of the East End during the LVP.
This is something I plan to turn my attention to once I have finished with the present task, for during my time in the LVP I have found a number of interesting cases involving such gangs.
It is has never been my intention to create a distorted or corrupted image of life in the LVP, so I will take on board what you have said.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2424
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 2:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP and thanks for your response.I for one would be very interested to know about which gangs controlled which streets and the knock on effect this would almost certainly have had on the willingness of people to come forward with information!

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2514
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 2:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This shadow I like, firstly because of his address, and secondly because the crime is so much like the Stride incident.

June 26th 1889.
James Collins of 17 Dorset Street stabs Emma Edwards on the street.
Six months jail.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2656
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 4:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In September of 1879 Richard Collins - described as a young man - brutally assaulted Margaret Robson in Pinchin-street where they lived.
I believe the victim was a prostitute.
Over twenty years later in March of 1897 a Richard Collins was found guilty of the manslaughter of John Curley in a vicious brawl in a lodging house.
Anyone know what he was doing for those twenty years?

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2171
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 5:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well by rights, AP, the swine should have been serving time, and still out of harm's way at the time of the later offence.

The three teenage girls who mugged my daughter and two of her friends in January this year, near East Croydon Station, with the aid of an imitation firearm (the victims didn't know whether it was real or not and in law it's just as serious as if it had been real), have just been given thirteen years between them for their little jaunt - and good riddance.

Good work AP! We'll soon have every prostitute assault or murder in the LVP itemised at this rate.

Love,

Caz
X

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2172
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 5:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the link to that case, if anyone is interested:

http://iccroydon.icnetwork.co.uk/news/headlines/tm_objectid=16220771%26method=full%26siteid=53340-name_page.html

Love,

Caz
X

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2660
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 1:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Caz, you say the nicest things... sometimes!

Armed robbery - even when the gun is imitation - is a very, very serious offence, and I believe the police and courts now deal with such cases as if the weapon was a genuine firearm.
Quite right.

But surely there is some mistake here, Caz, I've seen your photos over on the conference thread and you can't possibly be old enough to have a daughter who gets mugged?
Send me your secret, my face is on the floor these days.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2181
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 3:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP,

Most kind, but I was termed a geriatric mum back in 1987 because I had my first (and only as it turned out) child over the age of 30! (Bloody cheek.) I was 33. We had been trying for 8 years (so not all bad).

This is what I emailed to Howard and Nats:

Carly is absolutely fine about it [her ordeal], but then she is a couple of years older than her friends. I'm sure they are both ok too, though, because I was in court to see them all give their evidence - and they were stunning! So cool, calm and collected in the face of the defence barrister trying his best to make them trip up or contradict themselves or each other.

They all stood firm and Carly thought it was a very positive experience after the negative one in January. I knew the jury would find them guilty when one after the other the victims told the court how their attackers laughed at their terror.

The contrast between the three victims and the three muggers is tragic. Carly actually felt a bit sorry for the fact that purely by accident of birth and upbringing, the muggers' lives are always going to be crap, while the victims will learn from the experience and be able to continue with their relatively privileged lives.

In a way, it was better that it happened to someone like Carly, who is so sensible and well-adjusted, than to someone who would have gone to pieces. And because Carly was the only one left with a mobile phone after the ordeal, she was able to call the police straight away and the attackers were caught quite quickly. At least they can't do anything like it again for quite a while.

Love,

Caz
X

David O'Flaherty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz,

I'm very sorry that happened to Carly and I'm glad to hear she's doing well. I remember she once very kindly popped in here to answer a question I had about Latin.

Dave

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5146
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 2:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP's found this item from Sept 18th 1888 :

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2669
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 5:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert.

Right folks, you got the lot here.
You got your ginger beer bottle.
You got your chemise.
You got your blood on chemise.
You got your blood on the bed.
You got your blood all over the room.
You got your fire, a fender of which he threw at her.
You got your knife.
You got your victim knifed.
The victim was a whore.
The attacker stunk of fish.
The attack happened early in the morning.
The pair had been cohabiting with the whore providing for the attacker.
He came home drunk, asked for a fag, she didn't have one... and this is what you get.

Now, doesn't this remind you of another crime?

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 9:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your kind words, which I have passed on to Carly.

Hi AP,

Nice one.

You also got your cry of "Murder!"

But in this particular kettle of fish:

You haven't got your murder.
You haven't got your mutilation and organ harvesting.
You got your attacker's identity.
You got your definitive 'domestic'.
You got your proof that the victim's partner was violent towards her.

So is it really a similar kettle, with the only difference being that Joe the ex fish porter's capability for the most extreme violence never showed itself outside the walls of No.13?

Caz
X

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2678
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 1:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with you entirely, Caz, but maybe Joe asked Mary for two fags?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.