Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

EXCUSE ME BUT JUST WHO IS LEATHER APRON? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » EXCUSE ME BUT JUST WHO IS LEATHER APRON? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ex PFC Wintergreen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 1:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know press interest in Leather Apron happened around the fourth of September, I know that many people believed John Pizer was Leather Apron and that at the time people beleived Nichols and Chapman had something to do with this Leather Apron.

What I don't know, is exactly what is Leather Apron? What was his reputation prior to the murders? Was he a petty theif? Was he a violent man? Was he a grand larcenist? I just can't find infomation on this.

Other questions like why was he called Leather Apron? Do we know for sure he was John Pizer? But my main question as I say, is what is he?

Everything I read about him glosses over these questions, if anybody knows please tell me.

Cheers
Captain John Yossarian

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 773
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In answer to some questions:

What I don't know, is exactly what is Leather Apron?

The term referred to a typical workman's apron such as would be worn by a number of craftsmen.

What was his reputation prior to the murders?

Referring to Pizer, he was a foreign Jew who had something of a reputation for making violent threats.

Was he a petty theif? Was he a violent man? Was he a grand larcenist?

Again referring to Pizer, he was not known to be a thief or larcenist. He may have been a violent man.

why was he called Leather Apron?

Because he wore one!

Do we know for sure he was John Pizer?

There seem to have been several men with that rather odd-sounding nickname. Pizer was one of these. I have always thought "Leather Apron" to be a most peculiar nickname. Nicknames are usually short and serve as abbreviations for someone's (longer) actual name, or if the nickname is longer it is usually more colorful (e.g. General Winfield Scott's nick: "Old Fuss and Feathers") than "Leather Apron."

Pizer had an established alibi for the Nicholls murder which seems to have eliminated him from official suspicion.

Andy S.

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 625
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Wintergreen,

As Andy says, apparently more than one person had the nickname. It also seems to have been used sometimes as a general descriptor for a class of workers looked down upon by others (at least I recall seeing some sources using it as such). Kind of like calling someone "blue collar," though "Leather Apron" probably had an additional Anti-Semitic meaning as well instead of just the class meaning.

For it to stick to one person moreso than others it would have had to have been a particularly identifying trait. As a child in school we had a boy named "Fanny pack" (or, in small town homophobia speak, "Fag pack") for always wearing one of those small purse like things on a belt. Of course we knew his real name too, but if someone new had come by and didn't know him, the nickname may have been the only name they remembered because the ones picking on him were the loudest and everyone else just sort of ignored him.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Neil K. MacMillan
Inspector
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 4:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WIntergreen;
The police stated that Pizer was "Leather Apron" However, He and his friends denied that he was ever called "Leather apron." He apparently was Swiss born and had been alleged to extort money from the "unfortunates" (Whores) of Whitechapel with threats of violence. He was quickly cleared of any suspicion in the Jack the Ripper murders most specifically for "polly" Nicholls murder. Hope this helps. On a side note.I actually had an email awhile back from Isaac Pizer who is nephew several times removed to John Pizer When I was researching him as part of tyhe novel I'm working on. Kindest regards, Neil

bunny
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi my name is anonymous.I am writing this message to inform you tha recently I have been reading and finding things about the ripper .I would llike to know if you have scoped up any further information about the ripper.I am very interested in jack his case could be solved but with alot of work. please write back asasp .Thanks for helping and taking your time to read this .anonymous.}}

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.