Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Oakley Street Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Oakley Street « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 24, 2005John Savage50 3-24-05  7:01 am
Archive through March 26, 2005Natalie Severn 50 3-26-05  4:05 pm
Archive through March 30, 2005Chris Scott50 3-30-05  1:01 am
Archive through April 10, 2005John Savage50 4-10-05  5:32 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 464
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 8:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks. You know who this JOAN TAYLOR almost certainly is, don't you? Phil - I think you particularly should have a good idea if memory serves! Your summation is very probably correct.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 355
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

We have been trying to e mail you this afternoon and your mails keep bouncing.

Please let us know if you are having problems.

Rgds
John

John Savage
Inspector

Post Number: 356
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I have been searching for the death of Edwin Scott, and so far I have come up with two possibilities, the first and to me most likely was an entry in the 1924 (March quarter) Death Register for an Edwin Scott Age 66 who died in Halifax, Yorkshire (9a 763). I have searched the National Probate Calendars from 1924 to 1933 and could find no trace of a will.

The second is an Edwin Claud Porter Scott, who died in 1928 age 72 at Lambeth (1d 125). His entry in the National Probate Calendars 1928 is as follows.

Scott Edwin Claud Porter of 95 Upper Tulse Hill Surrey died 16 January 1928 Probate London 8 February to Florence Germain Scott spinster Effects £6,591 7s 9d.

Rgds
John

John Savage
Inspector

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 6:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I have today received a copy of the will of Herbert Betts, and the following details may be of interest.

The original executors are Thomas William Johnson of 17 Oakley Crescent (Herbert’s brother in law) and Herbert’s friend William Canning a solicitor of 16 Great George Street Westminster.

Herbert expresses his wish to be buried in the family grave at Brompton Cemetery in which his late brother and sister are buried.

The beneficiaries are named as follows: Rose Johnson, his sister and wife of Thomas William Johnson, Miss A.E. Tolson, Edwin Scott and his wife Emma Amelia Scott and Miss Edith Keen, sister of Emma Scott, Dr. Barnardos Home, and the Church Extension Association of 27 Kilburn Park Road London NW.Another sister of Herbert’s, Mary Fanny Lavington.

The will is witnessed by Francis Murray, solictitor Harwich and S.B.H.O. Vinnell clerk to Hanslip Ward & Co solicitors Harwich.

By a codicil dated 22nd June 1922 William Canning is removed as an executor and replaced by Edwin Scott, the witnesses to this codicil are as above.

Paragraph 7 of his will allows his Trustees Thomas William Johnson and William Canning to deal with his” real or leasehold property”. William canning is removed as a trustee in the codicil and replaced by Edwin Scott.

The address of Edwin Scott is given in both will and codicil as 4, Beach Road, Dovercourt, Essex. It may be of interest to note that Dovercourt is a suburb of Harwich.

Rgds
John

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4379
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great work, John. I agree that the 1924 Edwin looks the more likely, the snag though is that according to Canning's item in the Times of June 14th 1924, the executors were going to proceed with their duties - at which point, one of the executors was already dead!

Robert

John Savage
Inspector

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

An interesting point about Canning, but it was not nessesary for him to be dead, to be replaced as an executor. I suppose that TW Johnson and Edwin Scott employed Canning to do the legal work concerned in the will. However it does seem odd.

When I posted the deaths above I had not seen the will, so now I am wondering if the Edwin Scott in Halifax was indeed the same man as in 1923 our Edwin is in Dovercourt Essex. More research needed I am afraid.

Rgds
John

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4381
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 7:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John

I meant that Edwin Scott would have been dead by the June 1924 item placed by Canning in the Times. Still, it may simply be that Canning thought it would needlessly complicate matters to write "executor" rather than "executors".

Robert

John Savage
Inspector

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 7:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have today received from the Post Office Archives some further details of Edwin Scott.

Born 25th. January 1857.
Employed as sorting clerk and Telegraphist, Gainsborough 1st. November 1874 [wage scale 14/- to 21/- week]
Appointed Postmaster Selby, 27th. September 1906.
Appointed Postmaster Bedale 12th. July 1911.
Retired from the Post Office 30th. June 1919, up until which time he remained as postmaster at Bedale. His salary then being £255 per year.
He was granted a pension of £167. 10/- 9d. per year.

My thanks to Chris Phillips for putting me on to the Post Office Archive.

Rgds
John

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4399
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good work, John. I don't know where we stand at the end of all this - it's a bit like one of the Post Office's own letters, going round and round without ever quite reaching a final destination.

Robert

John Savage
Inspector

Post Number: 377
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 4:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

My purpose at the moment is to try and find out when Edwin died, in the hope that it will lead to other members of his family, as it is my guess that the post card may well have been in the family for a good many years. If I can find them they may be able to throw some light on the card and it's inscription.

Bit of a long shot, but I just keep plodding along.

Rgds
John

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4401
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John

I suppose there must be an obvious answer to this question, but would not the Post Office have a record of when Mr Scott's pension ceased to be paid, i.e. when he died?

Robert

John Savage
Inspector

Post Number: 378
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 8:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Just what I thought, but alas the post office were unable to tell me, and suggested a personal visit. They probably have the information on file somewhere, but were only able to do a limited search for me. There suggestion was that with a date of birth LMA should be able to give me a date for his death, so when I have a moment I shall get in touch and ask if this is possible.

Rgds
John

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.