Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

IF YOU WERE GRANTED 3 WISHES Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » IF YOU WERE GRANTED 3 WISHES « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Jackson
Inspector
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 292
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 8:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you could have 3 unanswered questions answered
about any aspect of the Ripper case, what would they be?
Paul

Brad McGinnis
Inspector
Username: Brad

Post Number: 227
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ha! Thats easy. Who was he? Why did he do it? And what happened to him? I think everyone has the same 3.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 4:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Waste of two wishes Brad - if you knew who he was, chances are you could then find out what happened to him. And the answer to number two is 'because'.

I would like to know what Jack did with the bits he removed from his victims, including Mary's heart; whether anyone knew it was him at the time but kept quiet; and whether George Hutchinson saw him.

I was once given two wishes by a fairy: I could choose a great memory or a great body.

Trouble is, I can't remember now what I chose.

Love,

Caz
X

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who was he?

Who did he kill?

I'l keep my third question in reserve based on the answers I get to the first two.

Mags

Chris Michetti
Detective Sergeant
Username: Pl4tinum

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd love to know his secret to not getting caught. That's the best thing about him, how elusive he was.

Or maybe he wasn't all that elusive, and we just don't have the info we need to nail him.
Chris

Lee McLoughlin
Sergeant
Username: Lee

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1) Who was he?

2) Are you amazed at how much intrest the world has about your crimes?

3) Why?

Caroline asked: "and whether George Hutchinson saw him."

What if it was Hutchinson!

PS: If I had a cheeky 4th question I would ask, Did you write a diary or engrave a watch?

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since everyone else seems to have asked the obvious questions, here's what else I'd really like to know..

Question one: Where did he live - private room, lodging house, East End or West or some other locality?

Question two: Was he married, single, or live with family?

Question three: Just what triggered him to commit such dreadful murders.

Best,

Lyn

(Answers on a post card, please)
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4191
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 2:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My first wish would be for a thousand more wishes.

Note, I would take care not to use a monkey's paw.

Robert

Frank van Oploo
Chief Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 509
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 4:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"What was the Ripper's side of the story with each and every one of his victims - or, how did he go about it from beginning to end in each case?", would be something I would at least like to know.

Cheers,
Frank
"Every disadvantage has its advantage."
Johan Cruijff

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's one...actually it isn't a question....with two more real questions...

1. I'd like to see the look on his face or be inside his head for a few minutes to see or feel his reaction to all what has transpired since the Autumn of Terror, regarding the Ripper-industry of books,sites,documentaries,conventions,etc...all 117 years worth of work....all the evenings spent on discussing him over beers...all the e-mails...phone calls...a nice chunk of change has been expended on this guy....

I'd give the sumbitch an entire day to "relish" what his work wrought...I'd like to accompany him while he checked it out,being his personal tour guide to the Internet..the bookstores..the whole enchilada....then kick his ass like nobody's business. Then I'd do it again the next day...toss him into the trunk...praserve him in spirits....save him for the RipCon 2006 to show off as a trophy...and all the female Ripperologists in Surrey would wanna be my gal !

Imagine what he would think if he heard that it took Stewart Evans a decade to get the Ultimate/Source book together.....all for him !

Imagine how he would react when he considered how much effort has to go into planning conventions...editing magazines..writing...fighting with each other. Oy !

2. To be a fly on the wall when my suspect realized all his mumbo-jumbo was worthless....

3. Where did he stash the organs?

(Message edited by howard on February 28, 2005)
How Brown
JTRForums
www.jtrforums.co.uk

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 585
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would have too many real questions to ask for such a limitation, so I will only suggest (as someone said earlier) three
"cheeky" questions:

1) Would you ever think of switching from the knife to poisons?

2) Are you into the impressionist art school and their works?

3) What did you think of "Sylvie and Bruno"?

Jeff

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 549
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mainly I would love a full list of his victims and attempted victims, and the dates, to whatever detail the rules for this particular thought exercise allow.

Another one would be if he knew of anything important that we could try to use today to prove his identity.

Hopefully the first two would be enough to figure out who he was, but if not there's the third wish. I'd ask that last so maybe I wouldn't have to and could use the last wish for something else, but mainly because knowing who he was without being able to prove it to anyone else would be a particularly gruesome form of torture.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting thread:-)
Apart from the ones mentioned above about his identity and why he did what he did, one thing that intrigues me is what the real killer thought of the correspondence, the Ripper letters? This, of course, is on the assumption that the real killer did not write any of them himself.
I'd be intrigued to know if he looked on the letters sent to the police, press and others as a great diversion which occupied police time and efforts needlessly, to the real killer's advantage. Or did he resent someone else stealing his thunder and taking credit, albeit anonymously, for his own deeds?
Chris

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm with Frank. I'd really like some detail on the actual interactions with the victims. Did he converse with them? Had he spoken with any of them before? Actually (sorry to mention it), but the kind of detail that is noticably missing from the diary...one of them told a dirty joke, one couldn't stop laughing, one stopped to pee, one smelled like mustard, anything!
-K
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Frank van Oploo
Chief Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 510
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 1:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Always good to know, Kelly. And in addition to what Chris wrote, I would also like to know how the Ripper lived through that period. Did he follow the case closely and if so, how did that influence him?

Frank
"Every disadvantage has its advantage."
Johan Cruijff

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1]When you "re-arranged" the internal body parts
0f your victims so that they were "outside"the body rather than "inside" were you wanting to "re-create" these women in some way?--Like the cubist painters who wanted to dismantle objects like a violin and "recreate" it displaying the insides outside and in different positions and patterns.

2][on the same theme]
Was there some pattern to the repositioning of pieces of flesh on tables etc in Millers Court?

3]On the walls of Millers Court.....was this accident or design-in other words was it possibly some primitive/child like "painting" and if so what did it mean- play/sacrifice-what?

Restless Spirit
Sergeant
Username: Judyj

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 7:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris Scott

Your question re the letters is sure an interesting one. I hadn't thought of that myself.I do believe that Jack sent a letter or letters, like the BTK killer, the Zodiac etc, etc,
regards
Restless Spirit

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 3:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good one here!!!!!
I love that thing at the end of a meal when you say OK you're a time traveller.....you can go anywhere and damage nothing....what would you like to be in on..................Of course its always JTR and then Mozart's death and then I guess The Crucifixion!!
Still think JTR would be the most interesting though
:-)
Suzi

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 4:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

Just off the top of my head, to play this game and avoiding the question of who he was:

1) What did he do with Mary Jane Kelly's heart?
2) Did he send the 'Lusk Kidney'?
3) Exactly how many women did he kill?

LEANNE

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kelly,

...the kind of detail that is noticably missing from the diary...one smelled like mustard, anything!

Anything?

I smell an overlooked detail:

But I could still smell her sweet scented breath

Love,

Caz
X

D. Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. Dossiers on Aaron Kosminski's relatives. Who they were, marriage data, who they were related to, photos of them (one is likely to be about 5'7" with broad shoulders), what happened to them, etc.
2. Dossier as above on Joseph Hyam Levy.
3. I'd like to magically have Israel Schwartz show up for the Stride inquest, and be questioned by Wynne Baxter, and then we get a transcript.

Dan L. Hollifield
Sergeant
Username: Vila

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's an illustration of why fiction writers shouldn't play with threads on this website:
Someone mentioned time travelers wanting to pop into tha Autumn of Terror to try and find Jack. If you think that through to some of the more logical conclusions you wind up with some frustrating data. For example: Our time traveler (OTT) goes back to see if they can find/catch JTR. Thinking that they have the advantage of foreknowledge, OTT goes to each recorded murder scene before the crime can be committed. What does OTT see? Chances are, nothing. Because, by becoming part of what happened, OTT will change what happened. If the changes are big enough, or are additive into a change big enough, when OTT goes back home they will find that history has recorded a different list of victims, or crime scenes, or times, or dates. What's worse, multiple trips by one OTT, or even single trips by multiple OTTs would keep changing the original events even more. And furthermore, OTTs would run the constant risk of being arrested as a suspect themselves. Its all very Quantam
Fictioneering is *fun* isn't it? This post now gives me 3 JTR short fictions I could write. The other 2 would require me to allow a serial killer to live in my head long enough to write a good story. BRRRRrrrrrrr! No thanks, I'll stick to aliens and monsters. They're much safer.
As for the original question posed by this thread,(though I'd forgotten it, didn't you? LOL) my 3 would be:
Who were all the victims?
How did JTR get away with it all?
What happened to JTR after MJK?
I figure the answers to those would give the who is & whys along as gravy.
Vila

Dan Hollifield
www.aphelion-webzine.com

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan
That post got my brain more active than it ought to be on a Sunday!!!
(Congrats on the continuing quality of your website by the way)
Reminds me of conversation late at night when I was at college!
One other thing I remember which usually came up in these conversations is that if time travel ever becomes possible in the future then it has probably already happened from our perspective if the OTT decided to come back into the past.
Chris

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4203
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 1:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've a feeling that time travellers will not be able to go back further than our present period. They will undoubtedly be stung for a whacking great congestion charge if they do.

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 764
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 1:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan and Chris,

Ah, but time paradoxes are old school :-) Now we have the theory for parallel universes which handily defeats the idea of time travel paradox. Every time you're faced with a choice, for example, like what to do for dinner, the universe splits on each possible outcome--in one universe, you go out for Chinese, another you stay home and order pizza, in yet another you cook, etc. Some universes would be very similar to the universe we inhabit and others would be radically different. Theoretically, there are universes where Lincoln and Kennedy were not assassinated, and where the Ripper was caught or never even killed anyone at all. Somewhere, David Hasselhof has a monster hit on the U.S. charts, and I'm kissing Mia Sara. Everything that could happen, has happened, and maybe is happening right now--if parallel universes are infinite, than all earlier times should also currently exist.

So instead of travelling backwards through time, you'd just find an appropriate universe, hop into it, take care of business, and then return to this one. Of course, with every alternative having happened and existing somewhere, maybe no one would feel the need to change or do anything at all in a parallel universe instead of just observing a "what if" universe. That idea dismisses time travel paradoxes as well. If not, it wouldn't matter whether you killed granddad, because all you'd do would be to start another parallel universe--the universe you left, this one, would be unaffected.

If you haven't read it, Michael Chrichton used the parallel universe theory in his novel Timeline, although Timeline ends with a paradox. I guess Crichton sacrificed theory for plot, but he does a great job of explaining the theory. It's a good book to read by the pool :-)

Outside the world of fiction, there's a theoretical physicist named Michio Kaku. Kaku is one of the people trying to unify Einstein's Theory of Relativity and quantam theory into a single Theory of Everything. I heard him say on a radio show that he believes within five years, scientists will be able to indirectly detect the existence of parallel
universes--indirect observation like astronomers are today indirectly discovering planets in other solar systems by observing the gravitational wobble of stars. The idea is that while unseen, parallel universes should still affect one another in subtle ways. It's something to do with dark matter and superstring theory (everything in connected across 10 dimensions), which I don't really understand.

The existence of parallel universes is a far-out concept which might move from science fiction to science fact in the near future.

Don't look for p.u. travel agencies anytime soon though :-)

Cheers,
Dave

Dan L. Hollifield
Sergeant

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 7:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, parallel universe stories are among my special favorites. Larry Niven has some excellent short stories on the subject. H. Beam Piper, Keith Laumer, Fred Saberhagen, L. Neil Smith, Brian Daley, and Simon Hawke all have excellent novels or series using multiple-timeline theories. The mental gymnastics they put the reader through are really fantastic.
And thanks for the compliments on Aphelion, too. I'm really proud of the website. Several more of our amateur writers have sold their first novels. I've been asked to write an introduction for one, and another intro may be in the offing if yet another Aphelion writer makes a sale.
Vila

Dan Hollifield

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4206
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 4:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan, according to the parallel universe theory, it's a certainty that another writer will make a sale....either in this universe or some other!

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 6:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gee guys,

you have done my head in there.

a series of parallel universes, do they each have endless possibilities leading to more parallel universes??

maybe i'm having a better time in some of these universes!

Jenni
"People don't notice us, they never see,Under their noses a Womble may be"

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4207
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 6:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But Jenni, if you were having a better time then you wouldn't be you.

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

but maybe i wouldn't have a cold and would be working!!
"People don't notice us, they never see,Under their noses a Womble may be"

Dan L. Hollifield
Sergeant

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, if the universe is as infinite sideways in time as it is forwards & back, then we come to the ultimate dilemma: Every single JTR theory is correct, somewhere.
Step right up folks, everybody's a winner! Name your suspect, and *somewhere* on some timeline, you're gonna be right. (Gasp! Even Cornwell! Oh my gods... I hereby retract all multiple-universe statements and wish I knew how to edit those posts out.)
LOL!
Besides, my belief in alternate timelines/universes being real is fundamental to my character. Catch me in the chatroom on a slow night and get me to talk about it sometime. Or if you're not a chat-addict you could start up a thread for alternate universe speculations in the Pub Talk folder and I'll bore you to tears. Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread. LOL!
Vila

Brad McGinnis
Inspector
Username: Brad

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 8:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Vila! How do I get to the right universe? You know the one..where I have won the last 50 or 60 lotteries, have a job I love, and am going to be young and happy forever so I can enjoy my kids and savor my victories at the Masters and US Open. Ok, I know,...I cant get there from here.Brad

ex PFC Wintergreen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 9:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I had three wishes they wouldn't have anything to do with the Ripper Case.

As the old saying goes "Sex, sex and more sex!"

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.