Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Cloak & Dagger Club Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Cloak & Dagger Club « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 3:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I've been asked by Coral Kelly to post the following:

On Saturday, February 5th 2005, at the City Darts Public House, Commercial St, London E1, Robin Odell will be reflecting on ten years of the Cloak & Dagger Club.

On behalf of the Committee of the C & D, Robin will also be making an important statement about the club. The details of this announcement will be posted On Sunday, February 6th.

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 486
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 5:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I have been asked by Coral Kelly and Caz to post details of the announcement that was made at the Cloak & Dagger club last night. These details were announced by Robin Odell and this is what he said:

We have this evening marked ten successful years of the Cloak and Dagger club. Those who arrange the clubs' affairs have decided it is time to move ahead and look forward to the next decade. Because of the split between the club and 'The Ripperologist' your committee has decided on a new direction. In effect to create a club that is not fixated on Jack the Ripper but which moves ahead with a broader agenda. The aim is to widen the perspective, to look not so much at who was Jack the Ripper but to consider what moulded the man. To look at the historical environment of the East End and Whitechapel, and the full social and economic perspectives. To that end, a full programme of speakers has been arranged up to 2006 reflecting the new diversity of subject matter. Further more, the club has a draft constitution and aims to put it's affairs on a more business like footing. There will therefore be greater accountability to the members.
Oh! and, by the way, the club will have a new name - The Whitechapel Society 1888.

The clubs website is http://www.whitechapelsociety.com

As for the meeting itself. I will not comment on the moans from a tiny minority, about not being informed in advance of the club changes. My own opinion is the club committee Mark Galloway, Mike Walker, Frogg Moody, Adrian Morris, Coral Kelly, Jackie Murphy and Liza Hopkinson do such a great job (unpaid) arranging meetings and holding the club together through some tough times (the club nearly closed last year)that they should do what they like with the club, and should be given there full support by all the members.
I should add that while Andy & Claudia Aliffe are not committee members, there contribution should not be underestimated. Andy's roll as Master of Ceremonies links the whole evening together.

As for the meeting yesterday, Andy was away, and the M.C. duties fell to Frogg and Coral, who both stood in admirably.
The speaker tonight was Robin Odell who needs no introduction here, Robin gave a talk on the last ten years in Ripperology. Robin talk was mainly on the key points starting of with Stewart Evan's and Paul Gainey's book "The Lodger", and included Bruce Paley's "Jack the Ripper The Simple Truth", Ivor Edwards "Jack the Ripper Black Magic Ritual" Patricia Cornwall's "Portrait of a Killer", Chris Miles "On the Trail of a Dead Man", as well as discussing the alleged "Ripper Diary".
Robin's talk on stage was far to short, he gave an entertaining account, littered with humour and anecdotes. If the rest of the speakers, planned for the year are half as entertaining, than it should be a good year for the club.

It did turn out to be an expensive evening, Alan Sharp was there selling his book "London Correspondence: Jack the Ripper and the Irish Press" (follow the link on the home page, to get your copy), also copies of D. J. Leighton's book "Montague Druitt Portrait of a Contender" were up for sale.

On the whole, a very enjoyable evening was had by all.

Rob

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 487
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 6:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
Sorry the link was there for Alan's book. It's http://www.ashbooks.co.uk/

Rob

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 320
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 6:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish I could have made last night, folks. Sadly I was rather incapacitated with a pretty nasty sinus problem resulting in a nose like a tap, huge sneezes and discomfort and itchy, watery eyes. A trip up to London and a pub would not have been clever - though as I pass The City Darts tonight with my tourists I shall think of you...

When I read the start of this announcement, I was really disappointed. "Oh God... boring... they are going to make it just a crime club and this is the beginning of the end..." but then I saw what you are actually now doing and I was DELIGHTED! Anyone on these boards who knows me will know I am really into the mood and history of the era (method actor, you see) and I think this is a smashing direction to take. I was never into the theorising to start with. I think that theories rarely establish facts. "What if"'s are what gave Maybrick and Sickert credence, so moving towards a better understanding of the environment and clarity of primary source material is to be applauded.

I want to join. Someone tell me how!

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 7:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip
you should go on the website. it tells you how to join there
Cheers
Jenni
"What d'you think about that? Now you know how I feel"

adrian morris
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the comments.

As the new editor of what will become a vital addition to the Ripper media, I would be glad to welcome any new potential readers out there. See web site for details.

ADRIAN MORRIS.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4058
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just received the pilot issue, and it's good.

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,
likewise. i too found it to be good.
Jenni

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Loved it toooo!!!!!! Great pic Caz!!!!!!!!!!!

Clay pipe Morris lives!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fancy a trawl for the odd Guardsman eh?

Suzi xx

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2095
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Odder the better!!!!!!:-) xxxxxxxx suzi
PS ANY mention re the pipe of course of Old Shag will be immediatly deleted!!!

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 4:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The pilot edition was very interesting.Got quite excited about the new direction the club is about to take.Will join when I get back from my break next week.Great News!
Natalie

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 6:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me tooo this has to be a case of 'Onwards and Upwards!!!! I feel!...how sad is this have just spent ages trawling through the Oxford looking for where that came from so i could be insufferable!!! Cant Find It!!!!
Come in RCL please!!!

Suzix

adrian morris
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 3:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please children, calm yourselves!
The Whitechapel Society 1888 Journal is not the only thing we have to offer. Why not come along to one of our meetings? We would be glad to see you.
I'm sure there is something for you to amuse yourselves with in the coming year. See 'The Journal' for details, or, visit the wen site.

ADRIAN,

(Editor : Whitechapel Society 1888 Journal)

frogg moody
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 5:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The next speaker at THE WHITECHAPEL SOCIETY 1888 meeting is Peter Higginbotham. His talk will be on 'The Workhouses of Whitechapel' on Saturday April 2nd.
More details are on our website:-
www.whitechapelsociety.com

Frogg

adrian morris
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yer. And pick up your copy of the Whitechapel Society 1888 journal. You'll be reading for days. And yes, it does give details on how to join.

ADRIAN.

Ken Proctor
Detective Sergeant
Username: Gizmo

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 9:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HELLO I was wondering about meeting dates for this club in oct. and whether or not curious observers are welcome to listen in.
"Hey Rookie----You were good" (Field Of Dreams)

coral kelly
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 3:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ken

The Cloak & Dagger Club is now called the Whitechapel Society. Our speaker in October is Stephen Butt and his subject is Robert Lees and the Psychic Hunt for Jack the Ripper.

Guests are very welcome - just a £2 entry fee. But the UK annual membership of £6 is well worth the money. If you cant attend the meetings our Journal will be mailed to you.

Hope to see you there.

Coral Kelly
Subscription Manager
Whitechapel Society

coralkelly52@hotmail.com

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.