Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Hear Gladstone Speak! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Hear Gladstone Speak! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 283
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

Below is a link to a page that has a rare recording of William Gladstone's voice, recorded on one of Edison's phonographs on Nov. 22nd, 1888. Just scroll down close to the bottom and you'll see in bold print 'hear Gladstone speak', and just click to hear the recording.

http://www.liberalhistory.org.uk/record.jsp?type=page&ID=12&image=resources

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjoyed that Tom.thanks so much for the link!
Natalie

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom,
Thanks for that , what a fascinating find, to actually hear a man of real history from that period is exiting, it has made my day.
Richard.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3723
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amazing, Tom! Less than a fortnight after Kelly was killed.

Robert

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 703
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheers Tom, that was bizarre, Gladstone is one of my favourite historical figures and a guy I have a lot of admiration for so it's odd to hear him sounding so utterly pompous!
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,
I concur that is odd but fasinating. thanks for the link

Jennifer
"I wanna really really really wanna zigazig ah"

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That IS amazing!!! Thank you. I had absolutely no idea such a thing existed. history brought to life. Wonderful!

Thanks again,

Phil

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...it's odd to hear him sounding so utterly pompous!

Well, it explains why Queen Victoria said that Gladstone addressed her as if she was a public meeting!!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.