Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Hats Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Hats « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 427
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Polly Nichols bragged about her jolly bonnet.
Liz Stride had just acquired a peice of green velvet, we know not where (a hatter would have such)
Katherine Eddowes was wearing a hat
Mary Kelly was hatless out on the street the night of her murder but the wire frame of a hat was found in her fireplace.
Francis Coles was given money by a customer, and instead of using it the way most alcoholics would, she bought a hat.

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you thinking that Jack was mad as a hatter?
Mags

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2474
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:-)

All the best
G, Sweden
"Want to buy some pegs, Dave?"
Papa Lazarou

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hats!!!!!!
All I think I have to say here I think!..(un) happy coincidence I think! ....

The only 'victim' who was recorded as never wearing a hat was our Mary,.........Am sure the rest did ...Jolly or not!

Suzi

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the 1880s almost everyone, male and female, wore a hat when out of doors. It would have been considered VERY strange not to have done so. partly, of course, this was a response to the lack of central heating - much body heat is lost through the head. men wore flat caps and a variety of other gear - look at contemporary illustrations for the Sherlock Holmes stories.

This even extended to thre working classes. Note that it was remarked on that MJK went hatless.

For women, bonnets were easily re-trimmed with cheap ribbon, feathers, imitation fruit, fur etc. It was a cheap way of sprucing up a dowdy costume.

When I first started to read deeply about the JtR case in the 70s, I too was struck by the "hats" theme. Nowadays, i think it just coincidence. Secondhand clothing was the way people acquired things to wear - Polly may have got her new bonnet from a friend as a hand-me-down. "New" to her - but maybe not so new really.

Strides piece of material, I have always assumed, came from her suitor, Kidney's rival.

On the whole I don't see it as being a practical (or necessary) way of "Jack" seducing whores of this class. Threepence would work better and be quicker.

But the bonnets are an interesting glimpse into the customs and manners of a vanished world.

Phil

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not it appears everyone!.. Mary is recorded in many areas as being bare headed,and known for it..

As to Pol's 'jolly' bonnet..I would suggest Polly wore a bonnet as a matter of course, but the one in question was a bit special....aka new...and a present of some kind,..something out of the blue..a surprise gift maybe?

As to Liz.........I'm sorry but I think the whole thing here is a domestic and not related to the case.

Sorry but I think the 'threepence ' line is a tad unecessary there is no proof that Kate for example was a 'prostitute'
Life eh?

Suzi
There

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 215
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suspect that Mary's not wearing a hat had to do with conceit about her beautiful hair.
Mags

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Mary Kelly did wear a hat at night did not mrs prater see her in one when she talked to her on the eve of her death.
When Dew made his comment that she never wore a hat it may have been an observation he concluded ,when the weather was a little kinder during the summer months.
Richard.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RICHARD
!!!! Am sure Mary never wore a hat
suzi

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi - if you re-read my post, you'll find i specifically commentewd on the fact that MJK went hatless.

One of the later murder victims (post MJK) also had two hats with her - one pinned to her dress (Alice McKenzie?) IIRC.

Phil

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi,
It is a recorded fact that on the evening[ late] of the 8th november mrs Prater and Mary Kelly met, at the bottom of the alley . ie. on the entrance to Dorset Street, and she was obseved by Prater to have worn a hat and her Velvet Jacket.
This woman may not have worn a hat , during the day, but on the eve of the 8th, she certainly did.
Richard.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK Richard A hat /bonnet for the Lord Mayors Show will go with that.

Phil-
You refer to Alice McKenzie as a victim...there is of course no proof either way here.Wynne Baxter just put this down as murder against a person or persons unknown and didnt appear to have connected dear ols Clay Pipe to the rest!
All we appear to have in common here is the sad inability to pay the rent

Suzi

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 4:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My linking Mckenzie (I think I should have said Coles - my error in haste) to this thread was in regard to hats. I did not mean to imply - though I can see how my post might be read in retrospect - that she was a JtR victim. I don't think she was. But she did have 2 hats.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.