Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Longest living JTR suspect? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Longest living JTR suspect? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam Went
Detective Sergeant
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone knew who the longest living JtR suspect was?

I am currently thinking it must be Walter Sickert (In Jan. 1942)
Then on down the list-

James Kelly - 1929
Joseph Barnett - 1926
Aaron Kosminski - 1919
Roslyn D'Onston Stephenson - 1916 (?)

And down the list goes.
But, was there any suspect that outlived Sickert?

The ones I listed are more well known ones, but any suspect at all, major or not, still counts.

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
Adam.
The Wenty-icator!

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 425
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This might be a fruitful line of inquiry. Jack, if he lived surely would have comitted more atrocities of one kind or another. Someone who lived to a ripe old age with an unblemished record would not seem to be a good candidate.

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 269
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

Try Dr Halsted
Bob

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I first heard about (and was terrified by the idea of) JtR, in the early 60s, one reason for my fear was that I reckoned that he might still have been alive - albeit aged around 100.

To an 11 year old that was a spookey idea. I had read nothing at the time, just seen the trailer of the 1958ish film. By my reasoning if JtR had been young, he might still be a ghastly old man out to get me....

So legands live and thrive...

A bit off topic but not irrelevant, I feel.

Phil

Adam Went
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 5:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Diana, you wrote:

"This might be a fruitful line of inquiry. Jack, if he lived surely would have comitted more atrocities of one kind or another. Someone who lived to a ripe old age with an unblemished record would not seem to be a good candidate."

Diana, I'm not asking about whether Jack would have committed crimes again or not, I am simply asking which suspect lived the longest, and if any suspect outlived Walter Sickert. Besides that point, there is no evidence at all to suggest that Jack died shortly after the murders finished. There could be any number of reasons, not necessarily death or sudden illness. As the saying goes, "It's always the one you least suspect."

Bob, you wrote:

"Hi,

Try Dr Halsted
Bob
"

Dr. Halsted?
Can't say that I've ever heard of him, but thanks anyway, I'll see what I can find out about him. Thanks!

Phil, you wrote:

"When I first heard about (and was terrified by the idea of) JtR, in the early 60s, one reason for my fear was that I reckoned that he might still have been alive - albeit aged around 100.

To an 11 year old that was a spookey idea. I had read nothing at the time, just seen the trailer of the 1958ish film. By my reasoning if JtR had been young, he might still be a ghastly old man out to get me....
"

Hehe...well, we're all scared of people like him in our young childhood's, I think. We don't want the boogeyman to eat us alive, for example. I guess it would be the same thought train for any young child who heard about Jack the Ripper. Certainly someone to cringe under the blanket about, anyway.

Thanks again for the responses guys,
Regards,
Adam.
The Wenty-icator!

Bob Hinton
Inspector

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

Dr Halsted wrote a book in the late fifties about his time as a doctor in the East End. His claim to fame was he was the last JTR suspect left alive.

I've got the book somewhere on my shelves.

Bob

Bob Hinton
Inspector

Post Number: 271
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually thinking back I remember reading his book and his hatred of prostitutes came across very clearly.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bob

You are referring to Doctor in the Nineties which Dr. Dennis Gratwick (D.G.) Halsted wrote and published in 1959 before his death. Halsted was a medical student at the London Hospital, Whitechapel, at the time of the murders and wrote about how the local people suspected men with black bags as being the murderer. Thus, as a medical man with such a black bag he came under suspicion.

In truth, though, as A to Z characterizes Halsted, he was more of a theorist who claimed that from his observation of them, a North Sea fisherman possibly could have been the murderer. He did not name a specific sailor but felt that the murderer could have hidden out among the fishing fleet where he himself worked as a doctor after his time at the London Hospital.

All the best

Chris George
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Kitty
Sergeant
Username: Kitty

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
The oldest suspect is older than that, and in a similar position today,(r.e. leaving a trail of evidence,) in some respects. There's a major clue .

Adam Went
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 5:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Bob, you wrote:

"Dr Halsted wrote a book in the late fifties about his time as a doctor in the East End. His claim to fame was he was the last JTR suspect left alive."

Wow, well if he lived for that long, then it's no wonder that he was the longest living suspect. Thanks for that info, Bob!

Chris, you wrote:

"You are referring to Doctor in the Nineties which Dr. Dennis Gratwick (D.G.) Halsted wrote and published in 1959 before his death. Halsted was a medical student at the London Hospital, Whitechapel, at the time of the murders and wrote about how the local people suspected men with black bags as being the murderer. Thus, as a medical man with such a black bag he came under suspicion.

In truth, though, as A to Z characterizes Halsted, he was more of a theorist who claimed that from his observation of them, a North Sea fisherman possibly could have been the murderer. He did not name a specific sailor but felt that the murderer could have hidden out among the fishing fleet where he himself worked as a doctor after his time at the London Hospital.
"

Thanks for typing up all of that extra information, Chris. I really must get myself a copy of A-Z (Yes! It's true! I haven't bought it yet!), all these other suspects I hear about that are in it sound interesting.

It sounds like Dr. Halsted's book might be a lot of confused memories and perhaps a bit of fiction to me. I don't think I would really rate him as a suspect, anyway.

Kitty, you wrote:

"The oldest suspect is older than that, and in a similar position today,(r.e. leaving a trail of evidence,) in some respects. There's a major clue ."

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. Would you mind rephrasing that so it makes some sense? Thanks!

Regards,
Adam.
The Wenty-icator!

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam

I wrote about Halsted for Ripperologist. It was Nick Warren who clarified in a piece in Ripperana that his research on Halsted showed that D.G. Halsted was only a medical student at the time of the murders. I have no reason to think that Halsted's impressions of the time are confused. His thoughts about the Ripper case only take up one chapter and part of another chapter in his book Doctor in the Nineties.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Adam Went
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

"I wrote about Halsted for Ripperologist. It was Nick Warren who clarified in a piece in Ripperana that his research on Halsted showed that D.G. Halsted was only a medical student at the time of the murders. I have no reason to think that Halsted's impressions of the time are confused. His thoughts about the Ripper case only take up one chapter and part of another chapter in his book Doctor in the Nineties."

Very interesting info Chris, thanks.
I have only just joined Ripperologist , so I obviously haven't seen that article, but it sounds interesting none the less.

So Dr. Halsted is an actual suspect? Any idea how he came to be an actual suspect? Or isn't he really?

Thanks!

Regards,
Adam.
The Wenty-icator!

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Bob for that

Am on the Halsted trail.....

Chris..Thanks for that info will look that up too!

God am busy here!

Kitty
PLEASE dont tease...

Suzi

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.