Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

What Made Him Stop? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » What Made Him Stop? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 348
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 3:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From Dr. Bond's post mortem on MJK:

On opening the thorax it was found that the right lung was minimally adherent by old firm adhesions. The lower part of the lung was broken & torn away.

The left lung was intact: it was adherent at the apex & there were a few adhesions over the side. In the substaces of the lung were several nodules of consolidation.

Looks as though Mary had an old case of TB. In some individuals the immune system succeeds in walling off the baccilli in capsules. The person carries around live bacilli, but they are not infectious and not sick.

However Dr. Bond tells us that the lower part of Mary's right lung was torn and broken away. One wonders how many little capsules were ruptured when that happened. If it was done with speed and force there might even have been some aerosolization.

The web contains a number of sites written for people who work in autopsy rooms. There are warnings about tuberculosis. I include one link:

www.pathologistsassistants.org/Public_content/w03%20essay.doc

If Jack came down with TB it would have put a serious hitch in his gitalong!

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 361
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh. Good point.

And, as a hypothetical, if Jack got the heart to cook it up and eat, if he had gotten TB nodules on it pulling it out of her cavity, what would have happened to them during cooking?

And perhaps I'm being naive in my cannibalism theory here... I guess I have heard of the old legends of natives tearing out people's hearts and eating them while the victim was still sort of alive and watching (but obviously the couldn't have survived more than a few moments sans his heart)... So is it possible to try to chew on a human heart without cooking it?

I don't mean to be gross about it, the only experience I've had with animal hearts is chicken ones I used to cook up for my cats a long time back. I have no clue on whether a human heart would make easy eating or not.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 4:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,

I would imagine a human heart would be as tough as old boots without the long, slow cooking required to make animal hearts as tender and tasty as possible.

It's many a long year since I cooked hearts (using a pressure cooker, popular in the UK in the 70s), but I remember my mum going on about having to cook the buggers for ages.

Of course, if a cannibal Jack didn't know this, he still could have tried chewing Mary's heart raw and then, finding it too tough, he could have tried cooking it on the fire before having another go at it.

Love,

Caz
X

PS Thinking of skipping breakfast today.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 4:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh and by the way, he'd have to be someone who had a blind spot when it came to ingesting potentially noxious substances.

Love,

Caz
X

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 629
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not a medical expert, but isn't TB a slowly developing illness. I would think that it would take weeks or months after initial infection for symptoms to appear and then these would be quite minor at first and would not interfere with physical activity for some time.

Andy S.

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 630
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not a medical expert, but isn't TB a slowly developing illness. I would think that it would take weeks or months after initial infection for symptoms to appear and then these would be quite minor at first and would not interfere with physical activity for some time.

Andy S.

ex PFC Wintergreen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 9:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes but the frequency of Jack's attacks was decreasing anyway. Not including Tabram the dates go 31 August, 7 September, 29 September, 9 November.
(I'm working from memory, so the dates might be a tiny bit wrong)
But that goes from one week, to just over two weeks, (to half an hour if you're a Stride advocate) to just over a month and a week.
What if his next murder was going to be over two months away, would he have time to suffer considerably from TB then?

P.S. Didn't William Bury kill his wife just under three months later?

Restless Spirit
Sergeant
Username: Judyj

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PFC Wintergreen
Funny you happen to bring up the time lapse between murders, increasing toward the end. Then stopping. Did he die, become incarcerated or end up in an asylum as so many seemed to at that time, or hospitalized.
Could it be that neither applied. There was a story on A & E recently concerning a serial killer, who had not been caught.He laid dormant for 16 or 20 years, I can't remember for sure. He started killing again and only after several murders was his MO recognized. I wish I could remember his name, but maybe someone else on the casebook knows who I am talking about.
Jack may very well have done the same, returning years later murdering but these crimes may not have been attributed to him. It is not impossible.
And also this particular killer in the States used different MO's to throw the police off.
Something to think about.
Cheers from Canada
Restless Spirit

Stephen Lee
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 6:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently posted something on why he may have stopped over on JTR forums if anyone would like to look, it's on the George Hutchinson thread.
Going back to cooking and cannibalism. Serial killers who have this disgusting trait tend to make a stew. I suppose it softens the 'meat' for consumption, no matter how tough it is. Chikatilo tried to eat a uterus raw and found it too tough and stringy. Sorry for being disgusting but that's what these sort of 'people' do.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.