Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

James Fitzgerald Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » James Fitzgerald « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm confused about the following item which I fell across recently:

'Fitzgerald, James Edward Autograph letter signed “James Edward Fitzgerald” as Assistant Secretaryof the British Museum
Acknowledging the receipt of “your obliging present of two specimens of Melania from the Falls of Essequibo” to the National Collections. Gourlie was a noted botanist and member of the Edinburgh Botanical Society , the Glasgow Philosophical Society and the Linnean Society. Fitzgerald, left his position in 1850 to pursue a new venture, following Edward Gibbon Wakefield and John Robert Godley the organizers of the Church of England colony, Canterbury, in the south island of New Zealand. Fitzgerald became the first superintendent and progressed to become the prime minister of New Zealand. In 1861 FitzGerald founded and edited a newspaper “The Press” which became one of the leading newspapers of the colony.
¶ MacNaghten is probably best remembered historically as the author of the MacNaghten Memoranda, written in 1894 when the “Sun” reported that Thomas Cutbush was “Jack the Ripper.” MacNaghten proved that he was not London: British Museum, 21 August 1848 4to. 1 page. To William Gourlie, the eminent botanist. Folds, some light discoloration and remains of stubs on verso, else excellent. From the collection of Sir Melville MacNaghten, Assistant Commissioner of the C. I. D., Scotland Yard and his daughter
Price: USD 175.00 other currencies order no. 27402 inquire
offered by: James Cummins Bookseller Inc. (USA) '

Anyone help?

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 613
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like a jumbled text. Where did you run across it?

Andy S.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank Andy
I bumped into the item on a bookseller's list, the chap mentioned at the bottom of the text.
The volume obviously came from the private library/collection of Sir Melville MacNaghten and his daughter, and I set to thinking that if something like this is out there on the open market - with a price - then surely other more pertinent items from the collection might also be out there?
Shame but I do believe I forgot to bookmark the site. I'll see if I can't find it again.

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 995
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

I have a couple of thoughts on the wording you posted. One idea is that this might be possibly a mixed-up listing for two separate letters offered for sale by a bookseller, one by James Edward Fitzgerald and the other by Sir Melville MacNaghten. My other thought is that all they are saying is that the James Edward Fitzgerald letter, evidently written 21 August 1848 to William Gourlie, the eminent botanist, was once in the collection of Sir Melville MacNaghten. The latter reading perhaps most closely fits the wording you posted. In any case, AP, have you contacted James Cummins Bookseller Inc. (USA) to clarify the matter? laugh

All my best

Chris

Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 996
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP and Andrew

There is another item listed on the ABE books site also from the Macnaghten collection:

Autograph letter in third person
Fitzclarence, George Augustus Frederick, first Earl of Munster. . .

Book Description: N. P, n.d. [1830-40]. Writing to Pettigrew that the next time he visits Kensington Palace he will find and send to Pettigrew the works of Abulfeda from the Duke of Sussex's library via stage. Pettigrew, surgeon to the Duke of Kent and later the Duke of Sussex who requested that Pettigrew catalogue his library. The first two volumes (all published) were published in 1827-39 but it was found to be too large an endeavor. Munster, the eldest som of the Duke of Clarence by Mrs. Jordan was an active member of the Royal Society, Royal Geographical, Antiquarian, Astronomical, and Geological Societies of London. Pettigrew was also a member of the Royal Society, the Archaeological Society and the Medical Society. He was the author of several works including "History of Egyptian Mummies."¦ MacNaghten is probably best remembered historically as the author of the MacNaghten Memoranda, written in 1894 when the "Sun" reported that Thomas Cutbush was "Jack the Ripper." MacNaghten proved that he was not 12mo. 1 page. To Thomas Joseph Pettigrew, the well known antiquary and surgeon. Some light discoloration, remains of stubs on verso, else very good. From the collection of Sir Melville MacNaghten, Assistant Commissioner of the C. I. D., Scotland Yard and his daughter. Bookseller Inventory #27399

Bookseller: James Cummins Bookseller, ABAA

The first listing you gave is on an allied site:

http://www.abaa.com/pages/php/search.php?Author=Edward+Fitzgerald

All the best

Chris

Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 614
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A search of the abaa.com website for "Macnaughten" turns up several items from Sir Melville's collection, but none with any evident bearing on the case. It seems that he was a collector of letters and documents from famous figures of his time.

Still, I agree with A.P. In whose possession is this collection and might there be anything there (not for sale) with relevance to the case?

Andy S.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris & Andy

I did bookmark the site after all.
Interesting stuff though, and just like Andy I feel there just might be some letters of real import to the case we presently discuss.
Macnaughten's collection of letters and documents is certainly of a broad spectrum and one can't but help feel that he couldn't have refused the chance for a few JtR originals.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.