Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

A question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » A question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
For those who are well informed with 1888 street names and there locations, could someone make clear if Mitre Square would be a feasible escape route to either New street bishopsgate, or Portpool lane, grays inn road. exspecially the latter.
I am intriqued by the witness in mitre square on the morning of kellys murder, who witnessed a bloodstained man at 1010am rushing through the square, i cannot ascertain that this was Kellys killer, but the time span could be important.
The killer could have taken the same route on the 30th sept, [eddowes] where he encounted her.
Regards Richard.

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 7:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard,

New Street, Bishopgate is about 2 minutes walk from Mitre Square. However Portpool Lane, Grays Inn Road, is about 2-3 miles away.
Both are still shown on my 1970's edition of the Nicholsons Streetfinder, so probably still exist today.

To give you some idea, the nearest tube station to Portpool Lane is Farringdon.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
John Savage

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 3:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks John,
My idea was wishful thinking, obviously i was trying to connect my suspect and his known lodgings to the vacinity of the square.
Which although New street is in the vacinity , to be rushing through mitre square. persumably if from dorset street via church passage, would not be likely?.
Richard.

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 255
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 9:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard,

If your suspect is who I think it is, I can only suggest that Mitre Square could possibly be on a route between Dorset Street and Billingsgate.

Best Regards
John Savage

Heinrich Helmcke
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I see Annie Chapman's body displayed in perhaps the only known mortuary photo of her, it came to my atention, that it apears that her right sleave is positioned behind her neck. Is'nt that a sign?, some sort of a message?. I mean, that knowing the injuries her body sustained and the way it was positioned, wasn´t that some sort of a message?.

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 838
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heinrich,

First of all, I think the photograph is too indistinct to say that this is her sleeve. It does seem a bit peculiar but I can't really identify what portion of clothing that is. It may just be a peculiar collar.

Secondly, I doubt that the mortuary personnel or the photographer were interested in giving us a "sign."

Andy S.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.