Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

A Jack the Ripper Speech Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » A Jack the Ripper Speech « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aisha Renee
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 7:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suppose you guys get alot of this, but still.
Anywho, Im talking a talk on Jack for an exam comming up, and you lot being the experts on the case i thought I would ask for some adivce.

What would be the most crucial things to put into my speech? Obviously the Victims, but should I go on to the suspects as well do you think? I need three main points to focus it around I just really want this to work. its a very interesting topic and hardly anyone knows much about it over here where I am in New Zealand.

Also, Im going to dress up as a 1800's prostitue to present it differently, any other effects i could add?

Im just asking people for opinions, not to do my work or anything like that.

So if you wouldnt mind, help would be appreciated.

Thankyou very much

Aisha

L.K. Cook
Sergeant
Username: Xinda

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aisha, once you decide on your three main points you should find more than enough information to "fill in the blanks" right here at your fingertips. As far as dressing like an 1800's prostitute, Whitechapel whores were of the poorest class. Their clothes were usually nothing better than rags. You do not say what grade you are in. Good luck, and happy research. There are numerous photos here that will help also.

Xinda
Xinda

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 337
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 1:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you start to include suspects just list the prominent ones. I'll bet there are 50 or more people who have had fingers pointed at them. You could say, "Jack the Ripper, Who, Why, How". The who part could focus on the unsuccessful effort to catch Jack or on what kind of person he probably was (check out a profiler for this -- Douglas is good). The why part could focus on sociological conditions in London's East End at the time. The how part would be how did he manage to pull it off and get away.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 4:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Aisha, although I agree with Diana and Xinda
above,I think there is also a need to separate out what the women represented to their killer
and who they actually were.
Over the year I have been using this site I have got to know a few things about them.
Polly Nicholls had had five children in her twenties and her husband was apparently having an affair with his next to be wife as she lay recovering from the birth of her fifth child.He blamed her alcoholism on her descent into prostitution.Who knows?One things for certain,if he did indeed behave like that at such a time for her it would not have helped her in any way.Polly was a woman who could read and write at a time when most working class women could not.Likewise according to some records from her schooling in Wolverhampton could Kate Eddowes-" a scholarly woman-according to one account at least.Kate was orphaned at thirteen and seems to have been a vibrant attractive woman quite unlike Polly who seemed to have been "delicately featured "and more reticent [when not drinking].Strangely both these women were taken for much younger than their forty something years by doctors who examined them-one would have thought the opposite would have been the case with all that booze and the street life they led.
Then there was Annie Chapman who had married a groom and lived in Bruton Mews in Mayfair.Same story as Polly otherwise-drink got the better of her thus a broken marriage loss of her children and the descent we all know about.Elizabeth Stride was perhaps the most unusual being Swedish
apparently an able linguist yewt took up prostitution[and I believe Drink]at a very early age.Elizabeth was apparently something of a fantasist too spinning fantastic tales of tragic loss that noone has been able to quite get to the bottom of.
Mary Kelly-the Marilyn Monroe of the case for some-blond and buxom and full of mystery-fact is she started to drink as a teenager and began to work as a prostitute as a teenager----hardly a life of glamour.
As for the ripper who knows ---he could have been a psychopathic conman with buckets full of charm and persuasion or your bloke next door living Ed Gein like with Mother.
hope this gives some ideas for your work
Good Luck
Natalie

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3238
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Aisha

Just a suggestion. You could come on as Mary Kelly (better make it Kelly or you'll need too much make-up). You could tell them all about your life. You could say that you're behind with your rent, it's cold, and you don't want to be evicted. So, you've got to go out and find some money. You're frightened to, because you never know if the next client you take down an alley is going to be him. The police are no help, because you have to dodge the police just the way Jack has to dodge them.

Perhaps you could say that you're talking to them (the audience) now while you wait under the lamp for some trade to come along. It's 3.30 AM November 9th and you wish you were indoors. You could cheer yourself up with "I'm sure I'll be all right" but exit by pretending to follow someone who's supposedly just beckoned to you.

Good luck with it, anyhow.

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 471
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 6:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Aisha

If the victims and suspects are two points you cover, a third area could be workhouses and lodging houses, places where several victims lived. Or, maybe you could talk about how the press treated the case--you can find a lot of press reports right here on the site and in a book called The News from Whitechapel.

Good luck,
Dave
PS Robert, nothing about the pockets? :-)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3239
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 6:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, if she did the pockets her exam would last 10 hours!

It's my belief Kelly's key got lost in one of her 267 pockets. No wonder she couldn't find it.

Robert

stefan ruddock
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi im doing a project on 1'800's prostitutes a day in the life', any help would be really appreciated

thanx a lot
Stefan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.