Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Business loss in the Whitechapel area... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Business loss in the Whitechapel area during "The Ripper Era" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

derekreeves
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone tell me about the loss of business in the Ripper time period. There are so many newspapers to look through. I'm looking for one that mentions something about with the loss or gain of business in that time period. Any newspaper recommendations? Did people hide out and businesses lose money or did the scare attract people?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dustin Gould
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Derek!

Correct or incorrect, this is my personal opinion on the matter.

Considering the murders took place over a relatively short timespan, and only after dark, when most buisnesses were least likely to be open, I doubt they had that big an affect financially. The area's already seedy reputation having already been established years previously, it would most likely have done more damage, than the Ripper's short, killing spree. I've observed this firsthand. My place of employment, is located in what is considered a "high risk" area of town. There is much petty crime, violence, a high degree of drug and alcohol abuse, vagrancy, and prostuition. While some buisnesses have stood the test of time, the majority have suffered a high degree of turnover. I feel the area's reputation, coupled with the high, inner-city rental fees, are the culprit. So on that note, I feel, at least on a long-term basis, buisnesses can be affected by crime.

However, as tempted as I am to say definitively, that the murders have little or no affect, in terms of a financial downturn, I cannot say conclusively so. The arguement could be made that, because they were so gruesome in nature, coupled with the fact that Jack was never caught, both owners and customers alike wanted nothing to do with the area. It had been damaged beyond repair, and would remain so until Jack was caught.

All the best,

Dustin Gould

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.