Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Edward Buckley 1885 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Edward Buckley 1885 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 1:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This character caught my eye both for the nature of the attack and the cool callousness of the offender. His statement to the police "It is a pity a man should be pulled up for a prostitute," particularly caught me attention. I am NOT suggesting he's Jack but his is maybe the kind of attack that preceded Jack's career.
Article is from the Times of 5 October 1885:

buckely

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 949
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Chris

Many thanks for this news article, which is certainly interesting. The involvement of Dr. Openshaw is also an interesting aspect of this news report, given his involvement with the Ripper letter directed to him as well as his examination of the half a kidney sent to George Lusk.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3092
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 2:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

I don't know if this is the same man, but he had the same strange way of speaking.

APR 2nd 1894

v

Robert

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hrmmm.Lots of serial killers start with lesser assaults. Of course most people who assault others don't turn out to be serial killers either. Certainly a person of interest anyway.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 3:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds as though he may be worth more investigating.Thanks Chris.
Natalie

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 3:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I liked this story too, Chris.
My attempt to find out what happened to Buckley has ended in failure.
The fact that the constable found him lying behind a door fully dressed in a coffee shop in Hanbury Street, and that he was so casual and cool about the circumstances of the attack, do also lead me to believe that young Buckley deserves more investigation.
I did find another young chap like this, by the name of Earnest Payne, who attempted to murder a prostitute around this time, but yes I lost the reference.

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 782
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 4:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doesn't add much, but here's an additional article 12 Oct 1885 (Times):

At the THAMES Police-court, EDWARD BUCKLEY, a cigar maker, of 14, Helmsley-street, Whitechapel, was charged on remand with unlawfully cutting and wounding Frances Jones, of 5, Devonshire-street, Mile-end, with intent to do her grievous bodily harm. Mr. George Hay Young, solicitor, defended. Prosecutrix was now able to attend, and appeared in the witness-box with two very bad black eyes, and with her head enveloped in surgical bandages. In answer to Mr. Lushington, she said she had no proper recollection of what had happened, as she was very much the worse for drink at the time. She struck the prisoner with something, and he then struck her back again, but with what she was unable to say, as that was all she recollected. Some further evidence was taken, and Mr. Lushington ordered the accused to be committed for trial.

(Message edited by oberlin on March 24, 2005)

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 4:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This does indeed sound like a cool,indifferent
callous type of bloke.
He also sounds a bit bonkers-lying fully clothed ,behind the door of a room ,at the top of a coffee house!
Definitely worthy of further investigation.

Natalie

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.