Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Surely a explanation Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Surely a explanation « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 23, 2004Richard Brian Nunwee50 9-23-04  3:48 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 3:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Richard,

Who said anything about a viris?????? Message alert is not a viris.

LEANNE

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 3:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leanne,
I Was just mentioning that my happenings were not related to either.
Richard.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3079
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 4:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard

Well, if it does turn out to be Kelly, maybe she could do a message alert for you. How about a few bars of "Only a Violet"?

Robert

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 752
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm...the grammar police are out and about citing incorrect subject lines. Wonder why they didn't mosey over here?

The Vitriolic Victimizer

Jeff Hamm
Inspector
Username: Jeffhamm

Post Number: 467
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 5:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard,
Have you installed and/or updated something like ICQ or MSN messenger recently? I think ICQ in particular has audio "warnings" to alert you to events (like new mail, or message, etc). Not sure about MSN messenger. I suppose if it were either of those (or a similar type program), you would be getting sounds more frequently.

Anyway, before accepting "other worldly explanations", I think we would have to rule out all the "this world" explanations first. And, the symptoms are pointing towards a software problem of some sort. If you've updated or installed any software recently, that would be my first suspect. If you have not done either of these, then I would make sure you have up to date virus definitions and do a complete scan of your computer. If that fails, then I would install a "spy ware" detector program. If things continue, then I would suggest refreshing your windows installation as something may have corrupted the sound mapping in Windows, and it's now pointing to the wrong sound files.

Most likely, if these sounds are on your computer, you could try finding all files that end in .WAV (under your start menu, choose "Find Files or Folders), and in the text box put *.WAV
(that just means all files with the extention .WAV). This will then list all the wave files found (may take awhile). Once that is done, just play each one (again, there will be a lot so this may take some time). Chances are, you will find the file that plays the "scream" (or cat, or horses, or birds, etc). Depending upon what folder the file is in, it might help you track down which program is playing it.

If you can't find such a file, it could mean that something on the net is sending the sound information to your computer. That's a bit more tricky to track down, and I would think a less likely explanation.

- Jeff

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 5:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert!
Hey perhaps theres a money spinning idea here... we could choose from...

1.Only a Violet.....
2.Hutchinson can you lend me 6d?
3.Oh Carrie I do feel bad..
4.Oh Murder!!!! (not for the faint hearted tho!)

Only joshing Richard! I'm sure you have something very real here and would ask that people listen and try to help!!
Good Luck!
Suzi

Vincent
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 4:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard, you were not listening to the Ohio Players by any chance, were you?

http://www.snopes.com/music/hidden/roller.htm

Seriously, the speakers on my television pick up transmissions between two-way radios on occasion. Nothing supernatural about it at all.

Regards, Vincent

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vincent
Am sure you have a point but cos its late will save the potential horrors for the daylight I think!!!
Never mind Richard!!!!! Anything new cropped up?
Suzi

Helge Samuelsen
Police Constable
Username: Helge

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 3:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I know this thread has been dormant for a long time, but I just wanted to share my experience.

First of all, I am not inclined to believe in ghosts or the supernatural, but this incident really did shake my nerves as it happened.

I never used to be interested in JtR, although I had heard about the case. I never knew any details, though. And certainly, although I had heard of Mary Kelly as well, had never seen any pictures, nor read details about her injuries (except I knew it was bad). Of this I am sure.

Last year (and it was autumn, but I did not record the date) I had this terrible dream. I was in the room in nr 13 (never knew any details about this before), and I could observe what was going on from a vantage point I guess about mid-room, but at the same time I could almost feel what poor Mary did. I could not see the attacker, as it was too dark (Not completely dark, there was a reddish light, the fire perhaps?), and he was just a panting shadow. But I distinctly felt a repeated pain in my arms, as Mary must have, defending herself. I felt those cuts. I had a sense of dizziness and a fear I never ever have experienced before or after. Then everything went dark, and I woke up sweating and rather disoriented.

Now probably for this reason, I became more interested in the JtR case, and I read the "Diary", which I at first believed to be true, but later on, thinking about it, found that most probably was a hoax after all. I noticed the picture of MJK in this book depicted a scene that was quite consistent with the flashes I had seen, but thought little of it.

I did not think too much about my dream, and had almost forgotten it when I first stumbled on this forum. Actually I had nevertheless become a bit interested in "strange events", and was reading up on "Springheeled Jack" when my search-engine brought up this site. I found the case for Jack the Ripper more interesting than the other "jack" eventually, and have since been very interested, although only in a hobby and unprofessional way, of course.

I really got a chill down my spine when I realized, reading a different thread here a couple of months ago, that Mary Kelly actually had sustained injuries to her arms and hands, probably trying to defend herself. I never knew this, and always surmised her throat had been cut, and she had died instantly in her sleep, never knowing what hit her. Back then I believed Jack probably crept in while she slept, now I rather think he posed as a customer, but that is another matter, and I'm digressing.

Anyway. I have no explanation, and it might be coincidence. A random nightmare. But I "felt" like MJK was trying to tell me something. Alas, this experience brings absolutely no new insight into the investigation, but certainly was eerie!

As with Richard who originally posted his experience here, I fear some might ridicule my incident. But I know out of experience, strange things do happen!

Helge

Fascinating! (Mr Spock raises an eyebrow)

Carolyn
Detective Sergeant
Username: Carolyn

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 4:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I have just read this thread. I find it interesting. I have talked to several people, a couple of them here on this board, that have had dreams or experiences that are very much like the ones described.

BUT what I find really strange is in all the cases that I know about it always has something to do with MJK. She is trying to tell something or show something to the people involved.

Is it because her murder was so terrible that it strikes us on a level that we are not aware we have. Or is she really reaching out?

Strange huh?

Carolyn

ex PFC Wintergreen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 4:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's an.

Surely an explanation

Wintergreen

P.S. The best explanantion I can give you is that you are insane.

Helge Samuelsen
Police Constable

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm.. Surely the rash conclusion that something admittedly unexplained is due to insanity IS in fact IMNSHO an indication of an unstable mind. I would never go so far as use the word insanity, however.

Ok, I'm really kidding here, Wintergreen, and I hope you did, because you made me laugh.

No, really.

Actually Richard simply referred an occurrence as objectively as possible. I did the same. Carolyn joins in (I'm talking recently) to point out the fact that usually such things are centered around MJK. From what I know I can only say that I concur.

We may speculate why, and will probably never get anywhere. Parapsychology have been trying to explain such things for decades unsuccesfully.

Besides, what are your grades in psychology, Wintergreen? Migh sue you for malpractise unless you fess up..

Hahah..

Actually I find part of Carolyn's theory interesting. Maybe it is the horror of the scene that somehow imprint itself upon us, like some kind of primeval fear? And although I for example knew little about the incident before my dream, I HAD heard about it, and knew it was bad..

Maybe this is why the MJK murder is the most "popular" of them all? The gory details are just "right" for some primitive part of our brain. (no, I'm not talking low IQ here, rather reptilian complex, i.e. the opposite of supratentorial)

Actually I find dreaming about such an event way more "sane" than dreaming about endless "static" running away from unknown fears (the prototype "nightmare"). Anyway, dreams are not logical, and those that dream only "ordinary" dreams are in fact the oddballs.

I can hardly remember any of my dreams ever, and maybe that is a blessing?

PS: can anyone spot my grammatical\spelling errors???

Helge

Helge Samuelsen
Police Constable

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 5:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually the original story about the screams from a PC is likely to be from a joke program. There exist at least one that actually have screams (although no meowing)

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/joke.hikaru.html

The one referred to here also displays a picture of a woman. Such programs are not malicious (except they might scare or annoy someone), and are not usually detected by ordinary anti-virus programs (or should that be anti-viral?)

Most likely someone has played a practical joke. Since it sounds like it deliberately played on Ripper-related (MJK) stuff, it was most probably targeted (i.e. not randomly distributed) IMO.

Helge

Carolyn
Detective Sergeant
Username: Carolyn

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 5:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Helge,

Thank you for your support, I do not think I am insane(although isn't that the first indication of insanity?) and I do think there are a lot of things in this world that cannot be explained with a rational answer.

Welcome to the boards, sorry I did not do so in my above post. How rude of me!

Thanks,
Carolyn

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Helge,

Your insanity to the boards is most welcome!

I am most releived to know that I am not the only insane person here...

Having not such a good day (blame my computer for that!)

Bestest,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Helge Samuelsen
Police Constable

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 2:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Carolyn and Lindsey!

Most of all I am openminded. If openminded people discuss things rationally, we might get somewhere.

Most things have been said before about this case, and we will get nowhere if we don't think laterally and allow an openminded approach.

I could easily quote Begg and Sugden, playing it safe and NEVER EVER have any controversial opinions. But then I'd rather do something else..

I have been lurking a bit on the Fogelma thread (Morris Plains Asylum) before I registered. My main contribution, which may wery well turn out to be nothing, is that I think the name in itself is either faked (i.e. the story is a hoax, or the name is a typo or misunderstanding) The reason I think this is that I'm a norwegian, Fogelma was supposed to be norwegian, yet the name is not norwegian at all! On the other hand, variations like Fuglemo does exist. What if everyone has been overlooking Fuglemo (or perhaps the name is germanic Voegelmo or something similar) blindly looking for Fogelma?

Just one example of what I am talking about. We all come from different places, have different backgrounds, hence can see things from different angles. If we work together, perhaps, once in a million posts or so (LOL), we might get a Nugget of Gold.

Sugden, Begg, Fido, Ryder and Norder (sorry if I missed someone) and others have done great research and contributions to the case. Many posters here do real research, most simply play armchair detectives. Some only bicker and post acid remarks. Fine with me. But without the armchair detectives there would be no casebook. If we accept that most things have been said about the case anyway, we can all go home.

But as I said, occasionally there are small nuggets of gold revealed here. I'm insane enough to think that is enough.

Helge

(trying to get in a smiley here, but my security setting will not allow it from Firefox, and I'm too lazy to do anything about it just now)

Joan Taylor
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I'm a very objective (very) person, very sceptical indeed. I deplore the idea of systematic sphectre-hunting and that sort of aggressive uneducated sport.
But I've experienced something similar, Carolyn. Marie Jeanette Kelly. She wants Justice, doesn't she, and more; friendship. She's got a lovely presence. Very young, girlish at times. Incomparably beyond us all, somehow, light of foot, gentle, unintrusive. And she enjoys students of the case, loves their interest.
..............It's amazing what the hard worked imagination can do!
I like to think of myself as sceptical, a scientist, but not with a closed mind.

Scott Nelson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Snelson

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Norder....has "done great research and contributions to the case"???? What have you been smoking, Helge?

Helge Samuelsen
Sergeant

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 8:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eh..well, 'scuse me. Maybe I should have written and\or. Actually I think Norder does a good job as editor of Ripper Notes. I was talking about people who basically have done\do a professional job for the case (yes, Ripperology) Something neither I nor you do, Scott.

Ok?

I see no point in finding "errors" in other peoples writing, thinking this justifies yet another post.

I have not smoked anything, but maybe you need an agression therapist.

And, no, that is not a professional advice..

Seriously, read between the lines occasionally?! Be a bit positive..Life is too short for this. Besides I would rather discuss something at least remotely related to Ripperology.

Helge

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.