Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

A little question concerning plumbing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » A little question concerning plumbing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 393
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 8:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,
I was watching the end of a programme yesterday and it got me thinking about plumbing. I wondered what the state would have been of plumbing in 1888. I assume poor people did not have much access to very good plumbing - and fitted baths like the rich. Which led me to wonder how JTR washed away the blood etc.
Does that make sense??
Jennifer

Scott Suttar
Detective Sergeant
Username: Scotty

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 8:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer,

I am just assuming here, I had always thought that plumbing in a house would have been scarce, probably limited to the well to do. There was a famous scene in the Michael Caine telemovie when Abberline & Godley stopped at a public tap. I have always had the impression that in Whitechapel these taps would have been the communal source of water and that most toilets would have been outhouses.

As I say, this is not fact, just my impressions.

Scotty.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 396
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 9:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Scotty,
Thats what I thought as well. I hadn't noticed the tap in the Tv movie - I wonder if JTR stopped by a one

Jennifer
Uncle Bulgaria,He can remember the days when he wasn't behind The Times.....

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

Pumps and taps could be found on street corners and down alleys and courts. Millers court for example.

There were baths located in Goulston street (which also backed on to the murder site of Claypipe Alice). These were used for washing. Unfortunately the baths were closed (around 11pm I think) when Jack passed through Goulston st after Kates murder. Maybe these baths were the reason he was in Goulston street, maybe he didnt realised they were closed.

Another reason for the graffito ? No doubt someone would find a link.

Monty
:-)
Sminky pinky !

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 1:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty,
Thanks for the info.
If Jack was in Goulston Street looking for baths he sure went a long way - I wonder where the other pumps and taps were. Or perhaps he wasn't bothered. If Jack needed a wash he probably would have been noticed?

Tara me duck!!
Regards
Jenni

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2610
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer

The water supply was intermittent to say the least, to judge from this Uncle Bulgaria "Times" item of Aug 2nd 1897 :water 1

water 2

water 3

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 400
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 7:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
Robert - unlike uncle bulgaria I can see that you are not behind the times. that is a really interesting find.
Thanks
Jennifer

Kayleigh Irving
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 8:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi.

Interesting conversation about the plumbing. It might help me come up with an explaination as to why the police failed to catch Jack the Ripper for my A Level coursework. I've got 1000 words for it but I need 1500 more. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Kayleigh

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 4:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Kayleigh, you've come to the right place...check out the main sight.

Robert,
Do you think JTR had to throw away his apron because the water was off?

Monty,
thinking about it would he make the same mistake teice..perhpas this rules out claypipe alice (doubt it ?)

Jennifer

Neil Cooper
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm pretty sure water, for the poorer parts of London at least, was still from pumps fed by underground reservoirs. I don't know how common these were, probably only a handful in each parish. Thanks to Joseph Bazalgette's sewer system, built 1859-68, London's water was much cleaner by 1888 than it had been for centuries. The last cholera epidemic was in 1866. If anyone wants to know exactly where pumps were, I suspect a good place to look would be the London Metropolitan Archives.

Kayleigh- you're doing this for you A-level???!

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 675
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that article, Robert. It brings to mind Mrs. Richardson's pan of "beautiful clean water". It's nice to be in a place where I can take clean water for granted.

Cheers,
Dave

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 8:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

Thank you for bringing Robert's article to my attention - and thank you again, Robert, for yet another interesting and insightful article.

Even in 1920, my grandparents didn't have indoor plumbing - no running water, other than an outdoor pump, nor lav in their rented rooms in the Shepherd's Bush area of London. They raised three children without those conveniences. By 1966 my grandmother, by then widowed, and still living in those rented rooms, at least had a kitchen sink with a cold water tap, but still no indoor loo.
Since my grandmother moved away to live with us in 1970, I've no idea when proper indoor plumbing would have been installed in that building.
I suppose that London, although the capital of England, was a little slow in providing amenities to its "poor".

Bestest,

Lyn

(Message edited by lindsey on January 03, 2005)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3754
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 6:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks folks. Much appreciated.

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 3:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What dya mean ? Roberts always behind 'The Times'???? Hes always behind 'The Times' looking for a sooper fantastic quote like that one!!!!! Thanks Robert!!!
Suzi

Gary Tavender
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 7:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I was born and raised in the East End and for those of you who don't know the area the Aldgate Pump is still a local landmark in the area - a stone's throw from Mitre Square.

You might also like to look up the Soho cholera outbreak of 1854 which was traced to a stand pump in Broad Street by Dr John Snow.

Regards to All!!

Desiree
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 5:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey everyone, actually very interesting about the plumbing its making me think about possible reasons why the ripper might/might not have been able to hide possible evidence which could lead to why he wasnt caught. I`m trying to write a short answer to that - Why the ripper was able to avoid capture. I need 300 words, but only have 160. Can anyone help?

Desii x

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 791
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 4:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Desiree,

Try:

* luck
* cunning
* knowledge of the area
* never operating far from his "base" (ie always north of Whitechapel Rd) so he could get inside quickly
* he was looked after by "his own people"
* he did not appear particularly bloodstained
* he cleaned up - hands etc - using a rag if necessary (ie apron from Eddowes)

Select any number in any combination.

Phil

Punctuation edited

(Message edited by Phil on September 01, 2005)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.