Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Agatha Christie Gets Into the Act Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Agatha Christie Gets Into the Act « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 298
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This week I pulled out an old Agatha Christie murder mystery entitled "The Clocks". I had not read it in years and years (long before I became a ripperologist). On page 44 there is this sentence, "A chap called Hanbury had this in his wallet." (Hmm, I thought, coincidence!). On the very next page (45) is a drawing of some hotel stationery. At the top it says, "Hotel Barrington, Berners Street, London W.2. That couldnt be a coincidence! Was Dame Agatha having a little fun? Or had she unconsciously used the two street names having read of JTR years before and forgotten?

Neal Stubbings
Inspector
Username: Neal

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana,
I would suggest it was probably a coincidence. There is a Berners Street off of Oxford Street in Central London. It is actually at W1 rather than W2, but I would think it was the street that Agatha was writing about?

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 889
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana!
Guess Neal is probably right(!) but love the idea of Agatha being a closet Ripperologist!!!! God we could do with her at times!!!
Cheers
suzi

Paul Williams
Sergeant
Username: Wehrwulf

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christie refers to the Ripper murders in at least one of her books. In the ABC murders Poirot comments that not all the Jack the Ripper killings were by the same person.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.