Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

EDDOWES Family Census entries Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Census Data and Research » EDDOWES Family Census entries « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

L D'Silva
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 5:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anybody traced Catherine EDDOWES in 1851 with her family in Bermondsey?

Her parents George and Catherine EDDOWES were supposed to have had 12 children.

1. Catherine EDDOWES b. 1842 Wolverhampton June Q 1842 (Mother's name)

Parents moved to Bermondsey when she was 2.

Following entries are on FreeBMD in Bermondsey in June 2004, I beleive these could be her siblings?

2. Thomas EDDOWES Mar Q 1845 (Grandfather's name)
3. George EDDOWES Dec Q 1846 (Father's name)
4. John EDDOWES Mar Q 1849
5. Sarah Ann EDDOWES Mar W 1850

At her funeral two of her sisters were present.

6. Eliza GOLD
7. Elizabeth FISHER

Does anyone have the names and dates of Catherine's other 5 siblings?

Catherine's mother Catherine EDDOWES nee FENN death is on FreeBMD.

Catherine EDDOWES Dec Q 1855 - What did she die of and a date?

Father George is supposed to have died shortly after - anyone known when and what of?

Catherine returned to her Aunt's in Bilston Street Wolverhampton. I believe she was living in 1861 with her uncle William and his wife Elizabeth at 50 Bilston Street, Niece occ Scourer Aged 20.

What happened to her siblings, I understand many went to the workhouse?

I have been unable to trace them in any later Census other than the following possibilities:

1881 Census - 2 Adelaide St London, Middlesex, England
Davis GOLD Head M Male 46 (B S), Poland Tailor
Eliza GOLD Wife M Female 34 Bermondsey, Surrey, England
Amelia GOLD Daur U Female 16 Stepney, Middlesex, England
David GOLD Son Male 6 m London, Middlesex, England

Could this be Eliza?

1881 Census - "Metropolitan Dist Asylum For Imbeciles" Caterham, Surrey, England
Sarah Ann EDDOWES Patient U Female 30 None

Any help to locate her siblings would be appreciated.

Linda

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 320
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 2:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Linda

Neal Stubbins (Shelden) has done some tremendous work researching the Eddowes family. He put out a booklet of his research in 2003, which you'll want if you're interested in this subject. It includes a hundred year timeline of the family 1842-1943. Unfortunately, it sounds like it's out of print, but I believe Neal was offering photocopies for sale. I highly recommend the booklet, bound or photocopied. Get it if you can; you should be able to contact Neal through his profile.

You may be interested in this thread with photographs: here.

Neal Stubbings
Inspector
Username: Neal

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 3:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Linda,
and many thanks to David.

Linda, the details that you have recorded above about Catherine Eddowes and her family are mostly accurate.
On the 1851 census, the Eddowes family with Catherine were living at 35 West Street, Long Lane, Bermondsey.
She was one of 12 children. Most of the children born before Catherine were born in Wolverhampton prior to registration, they were Alfred, Harriet, Emma, Eliza, Elizabeth. The children born in Bermondsey that followed Catherine were Thomas, George, John, Sarah Ann, Mary (Ann)1852, and William 1854.

Catherine's mother was actually called Catherine Evans prior to her marriage to George Eddowes in 1832 at Bushbury, Staffs. She died on the 17th November 1855 of TB.
It is likely that George Eddowes died in late 1857 but the death was not registered.
Unfortunately, the entry you have for an Eliza Gold is not the right one, but Sarah's is correct. She died at the asylum many years later.

As David rightly points out, I don't have any more copies of my Catherine Eddowes publication but can send photocopies if you are interested?

I have had the pleasure of meeting one family who are direct descendants of Catherine Eddowes, one of which appeared with me on a French TV documentary in 2003. But I have also had communication with several other descendants, plus I have also received emails from a relation of Catherine's sister Elizabeth Fisher.

Neal

L D'Silva
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Neal

Thanks very much for your response, much appreciated.

How can I arrange to get photocopies from you - please let me know?

Thanks again

Linda

E Richens
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
I am also trying to trace my family history.
My nan's father was called James Eddowes and his father was James William Eddowes, both appear on the 1901 census. I have been told that William was a family name and now am trying to trace back to see if there is a connection as Catherine's uncle was called William Eddowes.

I do not know the name of James William Eddowes father (born in wolverhampton around 1952) and am not sure how to go about it finding this out. Any ideas and I would be most gratefuL?

Also, I would be interested in purchasing one of your brochures Neal - how would I do this?

Thanks

Eleanor

Mrs Lee Poolman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 5:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this may be a bit of a long shot, but my Grandmother before she married was an Eddowes. I have traced the family back to my great x 4 grandfather William Eddowes, the trouble being that i can't find his date of birth etc. I do know though that he was born Staffordshire, he married Jane and then i descend from their son Nicholas born 1825 in Wolverhampton.
Please is there any body that can help me with this line

Steve Eddowes
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 4:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I know a lot of the family came from the Staffordshire area. I have a copy of my direct descent from William Eddowes born circa 1700. He had two sons, William born may 1725, died 1808 buried at Caverswall. He had 5 children, one of whom,William, became vicar of Caverswall. His other son Richard moved to the Nottingham area, then eventually to the Newark area through progressive generations to Grimsby. Barrow on Soar, and Caverswall parish records contain useful information.

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 2038
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve,

Barrow on Soar?

As in Leicestershire?

Monty
:-)
It begins.....

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3267
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indeed,

exactly, as in leicestershire?

lol

Jenni
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my mamma taught me better than that."

Mrs Lee Poolman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 4:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Only just read the above messages, i've been away for a while.
Would love to get more info on the family. I'll see what i can see on My Great x 3 Grandfather nicholas, I couldn't trace them on any census records, but then maybe that's because they were in another county.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.