Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Hatchet? was it used in mary kelly's ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Hatchet? was it used in mary kelly's murder? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

interested
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read about the mary kelly murder and it said a hatchet was used to remove flesh from her leg?is this theory heavily supported? if so, was it a common doctors tool? perhaps an equivalent medical tool could have produced similiar results.any helpful info would be appreciated?

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey there interested -

I can't confirm it yet, but it looks to me like he cut the flesh on her right leg, then ripped it off in a downward motion. Quite literally. This is something that I would say isn't entirely easy to accomplish. That's the biggest muscle in the body, if memory serves. I can't say much about what tool was used, since I wasn't there. About all I can say with any certainty was that it was sharp and there was probably more than one of them (tools that is).

crix0r
"I was born alone, I shall die alone. Embrace the emptiness, it is your end."

Dan Norder
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Interested," I see no evidence that Jack used anything on Mary except for a knife. I know a few people in modern times think they see evidence that one was used, but it doesn't seem convincing to me at all. The doctor who examined the body most certainly would have made mention of the fact that a hatchet was used, if one had been.

Jason, do you mean the flesh on the upper part of the leg or the lower?

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 254
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Sir Dan -

Indeed, I mean the part of the leg that is left on the lower calf. Perhaps I can work up something with the picture to illustrate. Can't promise anything tonight though, my 4 year old has a nasty habit of "Occupying Jason's time"

:-)

crix0r
"I was born alone, I shall die alone. Embrace the emptiness, it is your end."

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason,

Just for info.

The biggest muscle in your body is your Hugh Jass, posterior, buttocks....its yer ar$e man, yer ar$e !!!!!!

Of course, my biggest muscle is somewhere completely different !

Im with Dan. It wouldnt have been practical to carry a hachet around.

Monty, who talks out of the biggest muscle....often !!!
:-)

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah,

I almost got excited about Monty's biggest muscle....then he explained. (sigh)

I too feel that there was not hatchet used. Nothing more than a knife and adrenaline.

Mikey

shelley wiltshire
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, i personally don't think a hatchet was used on Mary Kelly, just a knife, a lot of hatred, along with elbow grease in a frenzy. The easiest way to put any debate at rest on whether a hatchet was used or not, is to exhume the body. Even though police surgeons and pathologists in the Victorian era (as well as 1930's) was not up to the standard of proffessionalism of today, i'm certain that a mutilation such as a split femur, would have been reported by the doctor at the time. Also Kelly's relatives past or present can't be traced, so no need to ask for permission.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.