Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Witnesses to the nichols event Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Witnesses to the nichols event « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 861
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I have mentioned before about the remarks made by Sarah Colwell resident of Brady street,ie. She and others in the street heard sounds of a woman being attacked on the morning of the 31st augst 88.
Mrs Colwell, gave an impression that the woman appeared to have been chased, and she and other residents of the street, claimed to have found spots of blood on the sidewalk, the following morning.
This remark by colwell, was confirmed by a resident close by to where Nichols was found, she heard gasps and moans, which were stifled by the 330 am train pasing by.
But what this post is about is, the remarks made by a mrs Conville, who states that during the night in question, her little girl woke her, saying someone is trying to get in the house..Mrs Conville listened and then heard, a frightened faint voice shout 'Murder police' which gave the impression that this woman was out of breath, as natural if running, she heard this cry 5/6 times more, but each one appeared more distant, as if further away.
Intresting the police originaly believed the murder happened away from the spot, as there were bloodstains found on the sidewalk[ not near her body] and intresting on the other side of the road.
Mrs Conville states although the woman was apparently fleeing from something or somebody, she heard no footsteps of a pursuwer, unless running on Tip-toe.
A good point to raise here is, the killers footware, was proberly of rubber material, rather like detective Whites acount of a chance encounter, with a Druitt lookalike [ he walked with no sound]
I would therefore suggest two points from this post,
a] Evidence points to Mary Nichols , haveing originally been attacked in Brady street, ran from her attacker, in a vain attempt to flee, and in desperation, tried to get in to a house on route, and the person after her was walking / running on silent footware, as stains of blood was found on both sidewalks, she mayby was zigzaging from one side to another.before stopping fatiqued on the spot she was cut down.
Regards Richard..

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 862
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I closed before my second point.
I Would now suggest , the the killer, although obviously sick, was of enough sanity to wear footware to give himself more invisability, and I am now giving more credence to Whites account, whose description is so similar to M,Druitt.
His final letter' Since Friday i felt i was like mother' was that a reference to friday 9th november, and he thought he had gone insane, because he did not commit that murder, yet the murder occured using the same ferocity as himself.
In other words ' he thought he had lost his sanity.
And who killed Kelly ? hmmm I wonder...
Regards Richard.

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard,

Blood found on both sidewalks/paths?

Where did you get that from? I have read about reported bloodstains (by Mrs Colwell herself, to the police (not found by the police themselves)) in Brady st but not about bloodstains on both paths in the Row.

If Nichols was attacked in Brady st then surely there would have been some trail of blood from Brady st to Bucks Row...but there is no trail.

I may be wrong about this, if so I apologise, but again, where is this 'evidence' that blood was found on both paths and along Bucks Row?

Respectfully....as always,

Monty
:-)
.....just for jolly, wouldn't you ?

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 864
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,
I have read so many reports over the years, that a source of that imformation is hard to pinpoint directly, I am sure I have have read the same press report on the press pages, and I am confident someone will beat me to it, in refering to the newspaper in question.
As stated many times, newspaper reports will be inaccurate, but the reverse can be possible on ocasssions.
My scenerio of Nichols trying to run away from her attacker , fits the reports of the witnesses, that the press spoke to, and blood stains on both sides of bucks row, and Reports of Mrs colville, indicate she was running all over the place trying to flee, and had received non fatal wounds in doing so.
Either that, or her killer had crossed the road, after the slaying, and blood from his hands or clothing , or knive, had soiled the pavement.
To assume that her killer approached her at the spot she was killed , does not fit any reports /imformation given at the time.
Richard.

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard,

I know what you mean.

You note something but can you remember where from ?

I do understand you scenario and do find it plausible.

Its just that I cannot find the evidence to support blood stains in Bucks Row. Also nothing corroborates Colwells story on supposed blood marks in Brady st, no second witness states they saw the same.

Nichols first wound, I would assume (mainly because I cannot see Polly staggering from Brady st to Bucks Row with her gut hanging out) would have been the sliting of her throat. Whilst this supports the idea that she would not have been able to have cried out (if at all) it wouldnt explain the lack of blood markings (splashes/smears/handprints) along Bucks row.....and she would have been bleeding fairly profusely.

Im not stating that your scenario is wrong nor that my view is correct. I just feel that there isnt enough evidence as yet to fit anything together at all.

Thats just my view though.

Monty

Paul Jackson
Inspector
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whats up Guys?

I have never heard that report of the bloodstains either. RIchard, was this in one of the contemporary newspapers at the time? I, like
Monty, have examined (what I thought) was all of the info on Nichols and have never ran across that particular story. By no means am I saying
that its not out there, I just dont have a clue.
Please let us know if you remember where you read it. I would like to check it out too.
Peace.

Paul

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul,

The story that Mrs Colwell heard noises in Brady st and later found spots of blood is fairly well known. Its in Eddlestones Encyclopedia and the A-Z (page 90). Cannot remember if its in the Sourcebook though. Check out the timeline below.

http://casebook.org/timeline.html

I certainly do not deny it.

I just havent read anything about blood in Bucks Row, apart from the obvious spot around Nichols body.

Monty

Justin Sherin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's been a long time since I've read the Nichols reports in detail, so forgive me if I overlook something. But is this not contrary to the medical evidence? As I recall, none of the victims (apart from Kelly, where it was impossible to tell) had defensive wounds. A chase would presumably give Nichols scratches, extensive bruising, etc. And if her throat was cut (even superficially) before death, her clothes would have been covered in blood. The police speculated that the murder occurred elsewhere before noticing that the blood had run down her back and been soaked up by her clothes.

I agree with Richard that the Ripper was not a drooling maniac. He was smart enough to actively avoid detection. But if he couldn't kill Nichols on the first try, why not run, and go back on the hunt? He faced almost the same situation a month later, and look what happened.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.