Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Did Jack use a lamp? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Did Jack use a lamp? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bruce Dibble
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello people.
One of the many puzzles in the Jack the Ripper story is how the killer was able to perform such intricate facial mutilations on Catherine Eddowes.
Im talking about the slits in the eyelids in particular.
I just can't see how this could have been done without injuring the eyeballs and without the use of a localised source of light and all in that darkest corner of Mitre square.

So could Jack have used a lamp?

Well,at first thought the idea may seem silly.
The main problems with the idea being that a killer with a lamp is more likely to be seen than one without.
Also no witness every testified as to seeing a suspect carrying a lamp or lantern.

However nobody ever saw the killer in the act of killing.So nobody can rule out the posibility that a lamp was used.

I said that no witness spotted a suspect carrying a lamp,but maybe one witness did.

Mary Anne Cox claimed she saw Kelly accompanied by a blotchy faced man who was carrying a quart pot of ale.
This may seem even sillier,but in the gloom of a badly lit Millers court,could that quart pot actually have been a lantern?
One similar to the ones used by policemen.

In Kelly's room there was the bedside table piled with flesh.Two piles in fact with a clear space in the centre.Why the gap?
It would have been the ideal place for Jack to have put a lamp.

Your thoughts would be welcome

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 527
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hallo Bruce,

As with anything, almost anything is possible but as for a lantern, I kind of doubt it. I don't necessary think that light is required to see at night. I used to live fairly out- no city lights, etc and it was always easy enough to see outdoors at night. I don't know what the lighting conditions would have been like, but I do think it would have been enough to see what he was doing. That's just my two cents though.

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bruce,

I tend to agree with Ally. If you were used to moving around in the dark of Whitechapel, I think you might have a better developed night vision than what we would think of now with all of our modern lighting. I grew up in the country and we were all over the ranch at night including inside the barn without any light at all. IMHO, no lamp was used.

Mikey

Dan Norder
Sergeant
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bruce,

Well, my new answer to most anything is, "You may be right."

I do have to agree with the others that a lamp probably wouldn't be necessary though. If there were a need for a light source, which I doubt, I suspect a candle and some matches, or even just the matches, would have been sufficient for the parts of the mutilation process that possibly could have required better visibility. The eyelids strike me as the only one that might have need a dab of light. MJK had a fire in her room (whether it was blazing or on low burn wouldn't matter much) so no lantern would have been needed at all there.

I'm not sure what a prostitute would have thought about someone carrying a lantern around. I suspect that it would have been seen as very suspicious.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Paul Jackson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Everybody,

Very Suspicious, indeed. Maybe he had one of those miner hats with the big light on top. That would have been a little less conspicuous...
haha.

Paul

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why do I always choose the wrong thread to respond on ?

Monty
:-)
Our little group has always been and always will until the end...

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me too, Monty, me too! Add lateness in my case.

Love,

Caz
X

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like myself, maybe you both are lacking B-12 vitamin as well? :-)

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.