Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Jewish Dates Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Jewish Dates « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the course of some fairly obtuse research I was doing, I wondered what would be the Jewish equivalent of the dates when the canonical muders occurred. I was interested to find that Rosh Hashanah (commonly known as Jewish New Year) fell in 1888 between the first and the second murders.
Here are the conversions:
31 August 1888 = 24 Elul 5648
8 September 1888 = 3 Tishrei 5649
30 September 1888 = 25 Tishrei 5649
9 November 1888 = 5 Kislev 5649

The change between years occurred on 1 Tishrei 5649 (Rosh Hashanah, commonly known as Jewish New Year) which corresponds to 6 September 1888.

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 704
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Chris

Further to your post, I found this additional information some time back by going to the website listed below:

Jewish Festival Dates in the Gregorian Year 1888

Festival.... Jewish Calendar.... Gregorian Calendar

Rosh Hashana... 1 Tishri 5649... Thurs 6 September '88

Tzom Gedalya... 4 Tishri 5649... Sun 9 Sept '88

Yom Kippur... 10 Tishri 5649... Sat 15 Sept '88

Sukkot (1st day)... 15 Tishri 5649... Thurs 20
Sept '88

Chanukka (1st day)... 25 Kislev 5649... Thurs 29
Nov '88

Asara b'Tevet... 10 Tevet 5649... Fri 14 Dec 1888

From conversion table on the JewishGen site at
http://www.jewishgen.org/jos/josfest.htm

Chris

M.Mc.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've always thought about the dates myself. I don't know if we should put out faith in any of this but the dates even on more than the "BIG 5" victims seem strange. I've come across this...

Emma Smith - 3rd April 1888 - Feast of Cybele, the Earth Mother.

Martha Turner (Tabram) - 6th August 1888 - Birthday of the Duke of Edinburgh.

Mary Ann Nichols - 31st August 1888 - Birthday of Princess Wilhelmina of the Netherlands.

Annie Chapman - 8th September 1888 - Feast of St Adrian.

Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes (Double event) - 30th September 1888 - Feast of St Jerome.

Mary Kelly - 9th November 1888 - Birthday of the Prince of Wales.

Annie Farmer - 21st November 1888 - Birthday of the Empress Frederich.

Mallet - 28th December 1888 - Feast of the Holy Innocents.

Alice McKenzie - 16th July 1889 - Anniversary of the Duke Of Clarence's Inauguration as a Freeman of London.

Unknown Torso - 10th September 1889 - (None I found)

Frances Coles - 13th February 1891 - Ides of February.

Other murders I've found nothing so far...

Nicholas Smith
Police Constable
Username: Diddles

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

21 April 1988,(my birthday) the Aberline diaries are first mentioned in the 'Evening Standard' Spooky isn't it lol.

Diddles

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.