Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Research paper problems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Research paper problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

comcipher
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm doing my research paper on Jack the Ripper. I am allowed to do really any part of it, so I figured that a paper on the police blunders and how it has effected their techniques of crime solving today would make an interesting read. Problem is that i'm finding it very difficlut to find enough information about that specific part.

I'm thinking I could make it more general, but I'm really not sure what to do. What would make good research paper topics on this? I'm open to any suggestions One last thing, the paper is going to be 7 - 10 pages double spaced in font 10, so this isn't any normal essay.

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Chief Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 566
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Comcipher

You might do well to study the actions or lack thereof by Robert Anderson (later to be known as Sir Robert Anderson. As you probably know Anderson went on a three month holiday after he was appointed Assistant Commissioner on October 6th 1888 and who continued to be involved in the Whitechapel investigation until 1892. You will find that Anderson believed that the murders should not have been the source of public hysteria because they were only a threat to a small class of women of the most degraded type. Anderson fancied himself a Christian and sadly enough, he had no sympathy for the victims.

Then of course there is the removal of the Goulston Graffito. You can make up your own mind on that subject and the actions of Sir Charles Warren.

If were you I would temper my comments on the perceived police inadequacies by noting that the police on the street were dealing with a new phenomenon. That of the serial sexual killer, who kills random strangers and therefore cannot be traced back to his victims as is the case with most murders.

Good Luck
Gary

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Comcipher

I agree with Gary. The actions (?) of Sir Charles Warren and Robert Anderson, as well as the incident regarding the Goulston writing, is probably suitable areas of study in this context. As Gary points out, the sympathy for the victims don't seem to have been belonged to the most characteristic elements of the police investigation. Much of it has its basis in bad politics and social notions, though, rather than bad police work in its technical sense. Indeed, some decisions should never have been made or should be performed differently.

I think it would be wrong, though, to build up criticism against the police at the time for lacking efforts and technical "investigation blunders", though. In 1888 they did not have the technical and forensic means we have today, and seen in that light, they (if we disregard the political flaws) did the best they could. The knowledge about sealing off crime scenes and photograph evidence or clues were already established in an academic sense, but (as Gary points out), the experience in using them and dealing with these types of killers were practically zero. That must always be taken in consideration.

All the best and good luck.

(Message edited by Glenna on March 11, 2004)
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Chief Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 567
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Comcipher and Glenn

Glenn-Thanks for expanding on my post.

Comcipher- Keep in mind that Warren resigned because of departmental politics, rather than as a direct result of his handling of the murders.

All The Best
Gary

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 508
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Comcipher

Another thing you might want to take a gander at - the press certainly percieved the City Police as being a lot more co-operative towards them than the Metropolitan Police. It might be interesting to follow that up and also study which approach seemed to be the more appropriate.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.