Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Jack the Decapitator Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Jack the Decapitator « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

D.Neal
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have often thought about the relevance of the deep cuts which were inflicted to the necks of the victims of Jack the Ripper. It has been said before of certain victims that the head was only just attached to the body and that it looked as if decapitation had been attempted. When thinking of what fantasy the Ripper was trying to fulfill or the sort of premeditated act the Ripper was trying to play out, I think it has to be considered that decapitation was one such act.

A thought that has crossed my mind on numerous occasions is that perhaps the mutilation to the lower body of Mary Nichols was not the initial intention of the Ripper. That the actual fantasy which he wanted to make real was to actually decapitate a women and when, on being unsuccesful in his premeditated task and running out of time he took out his frustration and feeling of failure on the body of poor 'Polly'. Perhaps the initial act of the 'Rip' was not intended , perhaps it was through the Ripper believing that he wouldn't receive the return which he expected from this nights venture, that he turned his attention the another part of the body.

This act of the body 'Rip' then became his trade mark but when looking at Nichols, Chapman, Eddowes and Kelly attempts had almost certainly been made to severe the head. Of course you could say if the Ripper wanted to severe the head why didn't he bring a chopper or axe on the second of his outings? His weapon of choice would have had to have been concealed and thus could not have been anything which was too large.

Just a thought.

D.Neal

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting idea, but I think if he really wanted to sever the head, he could have done it with the knife, especially with the time he had with Kelly.

Mikey

D.Neal
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Michael

Good point

I suppose alot depends on the strength of blade used by the Ripper and how easily he perceived that a head could be severed, I say this because he may have thought one or two deep cuts would be enough to severe a head. With time possibly running out (in the cases of Polly,Annie & Cathy)he may have turned his attention to another part of the body to make sure he got his 'return'.

Who Knows ?

He had time in the case of Mary to do anything and possibly this is why he didn't severe the head. I say this because possibly when the Ripper was faced with the prospect of carrying out any act of violence which he wished, his brain may have gone into over drive, he literally mutilated her from head to foot. Perhaps in this case his initial perverse thoughts of severing a head subsided when he then had the opportunity of doing anything he wanted to do to his vtcim.

D.Neal

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.