Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

JtR walks Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » JtR walks « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

angie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure if this is the right board for this topic but: I read that you don't recommend any of the JtR walks held in London and I was wondering if it is because you find them amoral or because you just don't think of them as informative?

Ally
Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 338
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clarify: Who is "you"?

Ally

angie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, sorry. I meant the people who make this site, or more specifically, the one who wrote the FAQ.

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 454
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't write the FAQ, but I will give a personal opinion. If you are interested in the case I would recommend taking one of the Ripper walks once, mainly to get a lay of the land.

But don't expect to see the sites looking anything like they did in 1888. If it's Victorian atmosphere you are after, you find find precious little of it on the Ripper walks the murder sites have changed dramatically.

I would in no way consider the tours to be amoral or unethical (unless people are inconsiderate enough to trample on the property of others). Whether they are in good taste or not is another question. Many of the locals do not consider them in good taste.

Andy S.

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 502
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would agree with Andy here. I always recommend anyone on their first trip to Whitechapel, take the tour just to familiarise yourself with the lie of the land and the locations of the sites. Then go back the next day and revisit them on your own to get a proper feel for the area.

As Andy said, it is difficult to get the Victorian atmosphere but there are some locations where you can still get it. One recommendation is to walk up Angel Alley then turn and look back at the entrance, it gives you a nice feel for what these courts and alleyways must have looked like back in 1888.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.