Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Who are your Top 3 Suspects? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Who are your Top 3 Suspects? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 06, 2004CB25 3-06-04  1:03 am
Archive through March 12, 2004Glenn L Andersson25 3-12-04  11:18 am
Archive through March 15, 2004CB25 3-15-04  7:34 pm
Archive through May 01, 2004Maria Giordano25 5-01-04  12:47 pm
Archive through November 23, 2004Legion50 11-23-04  1:51 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2341
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Legion,

That's true. I never thought of that.
I see his strategy now. :-)

I don't think that many here really have a favourite suspect (except for maybe a few) -- and I sure don't, to be honest -- but there are usually a couple that one find more interesting or less promising than others. But in my experience that changes from time to time.

All the best
G, Sweden
"Want to buy some pegs, Dave?"
Papa Lazarou

D. Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 7:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Andersson wrote above:
"1) Jacob Levy"

>>Mr. Andersson here accepts the A?R scenario in general, despite his six months of off-color insults of me on the A?R thread. The reason Mr. Andersson believes he knows who JtR was is because of my work, no matter what he writes of me here. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

David

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 4:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

leave A?R to the A?R thread, where, as far as i can tell you are the only one giving insults.

Your suspects (yes plural as you havent decided on the one) are not what is critisied there but rather your theory. why not go back and read it.

I dont know if I have a top three suspect list and i much better at the cynical stuff!

Jenni

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 6:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Druitt-because just today detectiveTrevor Marriott is quoted in The Independentas being certain there was a police cover up[having combed Scotland Yard Files for years he believes the yard covered up the killers identity.Machnaghten was involved in such a cover up over Druitt and sais so himself in his famous memo.But maybe that was simply a decoy so police would not think it was Thomas Cutbush[or his uncle]-it was after all not a memo for public consumption -just the police.
Thomas Cutbush and his uncle Charles[both had severe mental health problems of the kind suffered by Druitt"s mother]-Charles a serving police officer in the ripper case see AP"s brilliant book on this site.

Timothy Donovan known to almost all the women the deputy at Crossinghams so able to clear away blood stains without detection.Mitre square to Dorset Street runs past Goulston Street where the apron was found.
He tried to finger Pizer[otherwise known as "leather Apron"]by saying he had seen him with Annie wearing a Deer Stalker Hat.
Donovan identified Annie"s body and told police he had had to evict her for violence to another woman a few weeks before.
He turned her away from the lodging house on the night she was murdered.
Donovan was some years later convicted of killing his wife.
Natalie

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2344
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 7:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David wrote<.

>>Mr. Andersson here accepts the A?R scenario in general, despite his six months of off-color insults of me on the A?R thread. The reason Mr. Andersson believes he knows who JtR was is because of my work, no matter what he writes of me here. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Hahahaha
I love your sense of humour, Radka. You kill me.

I think Jacob Levy is interesting, but not on the grounds based on your theory, David.
Believe me.

And no, I don't know who Jack the Ripper, although I can force myself to speculate about what type of character he was.
Sorry, but A?R doesen't cut it, bro.

All the best
G, Sweden
Papa Lazarou

R.J. Palmer
Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 487
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Surely the fact that W.H. Bury was so utterly snubbed by the police indicates that he had been cleared from suspicion? He's too conspicuous an omission in the latter-day commentaries by the policemen who worked the case. Enough files have survived to show the police looked into all of these press 'suspects.' Ergo, there must have been something (an alibi?) that indicated that Bury wasn't their man.

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 377
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi R.J.,

Without knowing what exactly the police did to investigate, I think it would be a mistake to assume that their not considering Bury a credible Ripper means that he really wasn't.

But then I think we've had this debate (about whether we should assume the police were right in their opinions without seeing the evidence and process they used to come to their conclusions) before on other topics.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Maria Giordano
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 5:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please,please Glenn, I'm begging you and everyone else to resist the temptation to respond to Radka on this thread.

Jennifer is so right--his AR thread is dead and he's coming into others to revive the fighting that he so desperately thrives on. Ignore him or the insanity will spread throughout the board.
Mags

Robert W. House
Detective Sergeant
Username: Robhouse

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 7:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, this is totally off topic, but I am in Whitechapel RIGHT NOW. I am at an internet cafe on Commercial Street. I will have photos to post soon... I will put them on my website. Also, I have been doing some research at the Met Archives, Royal London Hospital, etcetc. If anyone has any further research ideas, please email me at robthouse@yahoo.com.

OK, cheers. I just came from Mitre Square via Wentworth Street and Goulston Street graffitti. And my top 3:

1. Aaron Kosminski
2. Aaron Kosminski
3. Aaron Kosminski

Rob House

Maria Giordano
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 8:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, if you have time and can do anything with the very interestin Jacob Levy, I think we'd all be grateful.
Mags

Lee McLoughlin
Sergeant
Username: Lee

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 8:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dont know why, but I get the feeling that Robert might be slightly convinced that Aaron Kosminski might be Jack the Ripper

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 8:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i can't imagine why you think that Lee!!

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2345
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 7:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mags,

"Please,please Glenn, I'm begging you and everyone else to resist the temptation to respond to Radka on this thread."

Why?
Why is that worse than people who responds to these stupid Maybrick threads involving the Diary and the watch? A subject that has nearly lead to legal threats and is so inflamed that it goes beyond me why people ever bother about indulging in those silly discussions?

I'll answer to any post I want, and I don't need others to take decisions for me. I am a big boy now.

All the best
G, Sweden

Papa Lazarou

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 4:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

I take it then that you believe the Maybrick scratches were made in the watch in 1993 - just weeks before its owner paid for the first of two forensic tests?

If you don't believe this, or don't know, or don't have any opinion on the matter, you can hardly call the discussions 'silly'.

If you do believe this, don't you owe it to those you accuse of 'indulging' in 'silly' discussions to offer just a tiny bit of evidence for such a belief?

Or do you not care about implying in public, with no apparent thought or concern, and certainly with no evidence on your side, that a man you don't know is a forger and/or a liar? I wouldn't call such short-sightedness silly, I'd call it potentially fatal for one's intellectual credibility.

Join us on the appropriate threads if you wish to show everyone that you are prepared to assess all the evidence fairly and objectively, despite all appearances to the contrary.

Have a great weekend all.

Love,

Caz
X

Lee McLoughlin
Sergeant
Username: Lee

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 6:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Taking the thread back to what it was intended for.......

My top 3 suspects are:

1) William Bury
2) Dr Francis Tumblety
3) David Cohen

With mentions to George Hutchinson and Joeseph Barnett as possible killer of Kelly.

Best Wishes,

Lee

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2346
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,

I have no opinion whatsoever on the matter, except that the Maybrick lead with all its components is a piece of garbage.

No thank you, I have no intention of indulging in those never-ending debates about the Diary and the watch, simply because the matter has become too infected; I can't believe people are still getting into that pond of mud, after the legal threats and the stirred, rather serious controversials that has occurred.

I am not suicidal, and I have promised myself as well as a few others that I will keep away from those threads as far as possible, and for good reasons -- so don't try and drag me into it. They are incredibly boring and academic anyway.

Lee,

Your suspects are very interesting and I have seen far worse suggestions, although I think there may be some question marks to straighten out regarding number 2 and 3, although I can very well consider them without larger hesitation. All in all, very interesting choices.
And I certainly can relate to the possibility of the alternative you mention in your last sentence.

All the best
G, Sweden
Papa Lazarou

R.J. Palmer
Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 489
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 2:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Without knowing what exactly the police did to investigate, I think it would be a mistake to assume that their not considering Bury a credible Ripper means that he really wasn't. "

Dan--

But that's just it. Bury was a credible suspect.

A close study of the existing files show that the Met had a great deal of common-sense. I don't accept the notion that they were incompetent. So of course they would have considered Bury a 'credible suspect.' But to my way of thinking, that's the entire problem with the Bury theory. Here's a guy with ties to the East End who strangles his wife and allegedly inflicts abdominal injuries--all within weeks of the Whitechapel murders. On the surface, an extemely likely suspect. And yet, Reid, Abberline, Sims, Macnaghten, Griffiths, etc., when commenting on the case, don't seem to be interested in him whatsoever. The real question is : what gives? They find Ostrog viable, but not Bury? I cannot believe this is a case of the Victorian Police not understanding psychopathy. Nor was there any 'cover-up.' I strongly suspect that they investigated Bury and found something tanglible that eliminated him from suspicion.

Not believing in psychological absolutes, I remain open-minded, but I have to say that the psychology also seems more than a little wrong. A murderer of strangers who turns around and does the same to his domestic partner? And then calmly turns himself in?

Of course, one of the keenest of all theorists, Martin Fido, had some kind words for the Bury theory. He's certainly a person of interest, but I tend to throw him in with Deeming & Klosowski.

I'd like to see someone do more research into Kidney & Sadler. None of these are my suspect of choice, however. RP

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 378
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 3:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just for the record here, arguing that the police officials could have been wrong in some of their conclusions or opinions is NOT the same as arguing that they were incompetent. On the contrary, arguing that the police (or certain officials from within the police) believed such and such and thus it must be true is arguing that they were perfect and incapable of making a mistake.

While we don't have anything to show that they as a whole were full on incompetent (although some statements by certain officials are fairly ridiculous by modern standards), I think it's obvious that they were far less than perfect.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

extendedping
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 4:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1) Bury...most ripper like murder
2) Kosminski/Cohen...identified?
3) James Green...What happened to his thread, i think its very strange to see the same name appear at 2 seperate crime scenes.

Never heard of Timothy Donovan but just a casual read of this site makes one wonder bout a dorset st crossinghams connection...now tie in a (future?)murderer there who knew several of the victims hmmm interesting...Labruckman also sounds interesting. also long shot poor john ritter...after all he did plan jack (t)ripper on 3's company.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 4:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

I have no opinion whatsoever on the matter,

...except that the Maybrick lead with all its components is a piece of garbage.

Gobsmacked at the contradiction of the month, I now leave you and this thread in peace - good luck if you are searching for the killer here. But I think you would probably miss him even if he were in plain view.

Love,

Caz
X

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2350
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 1:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caroline,

I meant that I have no opinions on the matter regarding the Diary and the watch -- and for the same reasons I mentioned.

I think the Maybrick trail is a piece of garbage, yes -- so I do have an opinion about Maybrick as a suspect (he was certainly not the Ripper), but I am not throwing myself into a debate about the diary and the watch (which is a debate in itself) and have therefore no further opinions on those that I feel necessary to elaborate.

Alles klar?

"But I think you would probably miss him even if he were in plain view."

Well, if that's the case, then I believe I would be in good company, wouldn't you say? :-)

All the best
G, Sweden

(Message edited by Glenna on November 29, 2004)
Papa Lazarou

Adam Went
Detective Sergeant
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 5:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

My 3 top suspects? Good question. In this order:

1.) Severin Klosowski/George Chapman
2.) Francis Tumblety
3.) David Cohen

To me, these seem like the 3 most probable suspects. But then again, I'm about 70% sure that the Ripper may well be someone we have never even heard of before. Another anonymous person living in Victorian London society. That is based solely on the suspects we do know of.

Regards,
Adam.
The Wenty-icator!

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 8:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay.. still going with Jack the no-namer here..
Failing that.. Am looking closer at Druitt.

Then Tumblety.

Gosh! Guess those are my only two!

Sorry! Can't come up with three (unless you count Jack the no-namer)

Bestest,

Lyn

Dr. Orloff
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 5:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lyn... poor monty! are you sure?

- George Hutchinson
- David Cohen
- Francis Tumblety

i think Arbie LaBruckmann is very interesting, too.

greetings from Warsaw...

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 8:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am reluctant to ascribe names, because i din't think the evidence allows us to, but I think one could venture:

a) a poor/working class resident of the east End (probably Whitechapel) and possibly a Polish Jew - akin to Kosminski;

b) a professional man with mental problems (to put it mildly) Druitt;

c) someone whom we have never heard of....

I submi a and b above because that seems to be the concensus of police thinking in 1888 et seq. They had more information than we do (on file and in having talked to people who knew or were involved).

But I am wedded to no theory - though convinced the several (conspiracy, Maybrick are figments of over-active imaginations).

Phil

zxcter
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 4:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Top 3 suspects
1)It's a bit possible that this ripper had a criminal background.A burglar or a thief maybe,or both,etc.He knows the neighborhood,he needs to know the police beats (natural to his way of living),operates at night,gauging danger(seen by the Lawende trio,and Elizabeth Long at sunrise),probably knows some hideouts.
Confident too it seems.After being seen by the Lawende trio and Elizabeth Long at sunrise
This guy is lucky.Too lucky?
The Mitre Square and Chapman murder probably showed his experience.(close to precision?)
Maybe an experience with courts too.
In other areas the more skillfull and experienced the player the luckier it seems they are.
2)a lodging house watchman or deputy, some had a room of their own in the lodging house.they see these prostitutes and probably knew them (prostitutes probably trust them),maybe know something about them in conversations,whatever they think of these women will be formed there.
3)a member of any of those socialist groups

Christopher Lowe
Sergeant
Username: Clowe

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 2:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my view the top three should be Druitt, Kosminski and some unkown male

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 343
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 6:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, THIS old chestnut!!!

1) Mr X (possibly a Jewish sochet)

2) A collection of unconnected murders with various suspects as the central protagonists depending on the victim (AC - Tumblety, ES - Kidney, MJK - Barnett OR Hutchinson) but this would not account for all.

3) 2 was unlikely enough as it is! The only other possibility, ridiculous as it now seems in many ways, is the Kosminski/Kaminsky/Cohen connection.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

mal x
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 7:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my top 3 are
1....George Chapman
2....William Bury
3....Hutchinson (but only if the Ripper was not George Chapman)

if none of these then somebody else not yet known, but he'd definitely be a local.

least unlikely are Maybrick, Sickert, D'ONSTON and that Royal Conspiracy rubbish.

Nomad
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 5:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

generally people who commit crimes have a long history of run ins with the law. Did any of the better known suspects have a criminal past?

Ian
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 1:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1 Kaminsky / Cohen (Swanson and Anderson indicated that Aaron Kosminsky was the Ripper after he had been identified by an eye witness that refused to take the matter further. It seems likely that Kosminski was confused with Kaminsky or Cohen??. Ok its not cast iron but its the strongest possibility we have IMO. This suspect was in a mental institution very soon after the Kelly murder).

2 Montague Druitt (Simply because he matches eye witness accounts, had chambers nearby and died shortly after the murders at which time the police scaled the hunt for the killer down.

I won't offer a third suspect because the rest to me are all much of a muchness in so much as you can offer a decent sounding argument for most without really anything to go on other than suspicions, though I'd never criticise anyone for doing that.

William Bury is interesting but unlikely, I can't see a killer scaling down his next killing after the Kelly murder. As someone has mentioned earlier in this topic, Bury fits the profile yet the Police barely seemed interested yet they would follow any lead in the hunt for the Ripper. They must have found reason to believe that Bury undeniably couldn't have been the Ripper.

The likes of Tumblety and Maybrick are modern fantasy suspect in my opinion, I don't really take them too seriously.

The royal conspiracies don't think are impossible but nevertheless highly unlikely.

Chapman - No, completely different type of killer.

Donston - Nutcase but more likely got off on indirectly linking himself to the killings than carrying them out.

JK Stephen is someone that bugs me for no particular reason. There's just something about him I don't trust. Interestingly in John Wilding's book Jack The Ripper Revealed, he claims that if you re-arrange the letters in the supposed Ripper sent letters, they form a coded message (where he implicates himself and MJ Druitt), letter for letter and the author claims that the chances of this happening merely by accident are statistically astronomical. Stephen enjoyed word games, could he have written the letters?

AmateurSleuth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 2:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Top 3 Suspects(in order) are:

1. Unknown local medical student/veterinary student
2. Francis Thompson
3. Robert Donston Stephenson

With dishonorable mentions to Thomas Cutbush and Montague John Druitt

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 675
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

"Unknown" would be my top "suspect" as well but I don't think that should count.

1-William Hardiman
2-W.H. Bury
3-M.J. Druitt

Stan

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 676
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S.

Dishonor mention: Kosminski & Chapman.

Stan

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 660
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 9:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. Cutbush
2. Bury
3. Insane Polish Jew
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 661
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 9:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something that might be of interest would be to discuss how your Top 3 list has changed over time. Five years ago instead of Cutbush and Bury , I'd have said:

1. D'Onston
2. Tumblety
3. Insane Polish Jew

Anyone else's change over time ?
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 677
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 9:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

True Robert.

Thirty years ago mine would have been:

1-Druitt
2-J.K. Stephen
3-Chapman

Stan

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 662
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"2-J.K. Stephen "

I'm getting a little verklempt....He'd still be in my Top Ten....
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 992
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 9:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My top current choices:

1) Local Whitechapel resident (possibly Jewish)
2) William Bury (best of the subsequently hanged
murderer - suspects).
3) One of the leading main suspects - at the
moment it can be Tumblety but it could change
to D'Onston or one of the others if good
evidence surfaces.

Jeff

AJP
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 9:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It changes all the time, as of now I say :

1 - Thomas Cutbush. Has been for a long time. I have this aching feeling he's our man. I stand firm with him so far.

2 - William Bury

3 - Jacob Levy

others of legitimate notice never to be overlooked: Druitt, Kosminski, Barnett, "David Cohen" who ever that was, as of yet a total unknown (ha ha) like a foreign sailor or merchant, the "vetenary student"...or the ever intriguing Hutchinson.

Sickert was perhaps a player in some 6 degrees of separation kind of thing or closer, which does create curiosity about him, what did he know, if anything at all? Probably nothing, just morbid fascination like I think it was the case with D'Onston. But there was no conspiracy and Sickert never committed these murders from his own hands.

The new ones like Williams I don't really know about.

jonathan menges
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 3:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my three are:

(unknown local)
1. James Kelly
2. Cohen etc.
3. Druitt

jason_connachan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 6:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My top suspects are -

1)a known Whitechapel resident - Kosminski, Jacoby Levy, Cohen
2)unknown Whitechapel resident - ??????
3)Druitt

btw, when discussing the police of the time, i think we have to assume some sort of competence.

As limited as there techniques were (no DNA,fingerprinting, profiling), i believe suspects & witnesses were closely questioned, even if the recording of this questioning was not recorded in great detail. The most basic investigative technique would be checking alibis. I believe this was done adequately.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2707
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 7:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1]Thomas Cutbush,2]John McCarthy,Mary"s landlord.3]A Fenian or a British double agent

I Know Jack
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 1:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1) Maybrick
2) Maybrick
3) Maybrick

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sniff....sniff,

I smell a Wood about.

Monty
:-)
It begins.....

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3364
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a Wood or A. Wood!! lol

you think Peter is about?

Surely more than one person thinks its Maybrick...

Jenni

ahh I've done it again i am bad!
"I won’t die, of deception"

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 908
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

Surely more than one person thinks it's Maybrick..

Maybe more than one, but I suspect all of them could hold a convention in a phone booth.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Eddie Derrico
Inspector
Username: Eddie

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 8:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello There, I Know Jack

Hmmmmm....Do you know what I know ??

Yours Truly and Merry Christmas,
Eddie

c.d.
Detective Sergeant
Username: Cd

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 9:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How old would Cutbush have been at the time of the murders?

c.d.

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

C.D.:

23 years old.

--------------

c.d.
Detective Sergeant
Username: Cd

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Weren't Cutbush and Kosminski reputed to have been slight of build? The witnesses described the height of the man they saw in relation the the height of the woman. Didn't Victorian women wear a lot of clothes? Would the witnesses have noticed the slight build of someone like Cutbush and Kominski in relation to the woman or would a coat have made that impossible to determine?Also, would the witnesses have noticed the apparent age disparity between the man and the woman?

c.d.

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 8:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear C.D.

Just a guess,but when someone wears an overcoat,its really difficult to gauge their weight, especially from a casual or cursory glance.

In a way, its the adage of "10 lbs. of snow in a 5 lb. bag" in reverse.

Have a good holiday,dude.

Robert W. House
Inspector
Username: Robhouse

Post Number: 302
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 8:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess my opinions have changed over time... a few years ago I might have said Klosowski, Tumblety, Cohen/Kaminsky, etc.

My current top 3 are

1 Aaron Kosminski
2. Arbie LaBruckman
3. James Kelly

Also interested in Hyam Hyams, maybe some others.

Rob H

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 685
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"a few years ago I might have said Klosowski, Tumblety, Cohen/Kaminsky, etc."

Tumblety's candidacy has popped like the dot com bubble.
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

I Know Jack
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merry Xmas Eddie and all.

What I know is known to a very few close friends at the moment. Hopefully 2006 will see it in the public domain.

I do know Jack!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.