Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

2006 New Year's Resolutions Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » 2006 New Year's Resolutions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2787
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now you can"t generalise about baby boomers like that Dave!
Speaking as one I like quite a lot of those later bands, the Sex Pistols and esp. Nirvana-in the early 90"s even ol Courtney Love"s lot "Hole" isnt bad.
About eight years ago Lee Mavers,the lead singer of the La"s came to live next door to us in West London and we used to listen to them
practising "There She Goes"....quite something.!.A lot thought they would have been much bigger than Oasis, had Mavers not succumbed and turned his back on it all ,just as it was starting to peak.
Currently its the Pogues for me with the great
Shane falling about all over the stage!
Baby boomers are still Cool!---- those teenagers what do they know anyway Caz---- Bob Mitchum was "Cool" way back in my mum"s day!.....Mind Bobbie Dylan makes a close second and he is still way cooler than most.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5510
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone mentioned Pat Boone. I believe that Pat was the neighbour the Osbournes liked the best, because he was the only one who didn't call the police.

Robert

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3499
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i meant paul not liam and noel!!!!!!!
"I bid him look into the lives of men as though into a mirror"

Dan L. Hollifield
Detective Sergeant
Username: Vila

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Music fandom spreads through a broader age-range than one might think. My record collection still gains me marks for coolness when visitors come over. Although it's loaded very heavily with Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Hawkwind, ELP, and the like it also holds R&B, synth-pop, total electronic, classical, jazz, musicals, and movie soundtracks. It'd be just as likely to find Casa Vila rocking out to Adam Ant as to the B52s, or even a Straus waltz. I crank the volume up as much for Benny Goodman as I do for AC\DC. Although it'd be a toss-up between which one would get the most volume: 1812 Overture or Won't Get Fooled Again... Of course, being 48 only means I've had time to find lots of cool music.

Vila
"Extremely difficult. Virtually impossible... However, it should only take me ten minutes or so."

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 494
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Being nearly as old as Vila (although, he will ALWAYS be older), I too have experienced much music and have a very wide variety in my collection. I'm a theatre queen so I have a ton of OBC (original broadway cast) soundtracks, I have everything from the Rolling Stones and the Beatles to KISS to Erasure to Madonna, Rod Stewart and Bette Midler's new Peggy Lee Song book. (The Cd is god, but Bette is NO Peggy Lee.)

Anyways, my only New Year's resolution is to show my loved ones that I love them very much!

Mikey

David O'Flaherty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie,

I know, I was only speaking very generally. Of course, there are lots of people, like you, who appreciate stuff outside the 60s. I like the Pogues too, although I’m a bigger Sinead O’Connor fan (I don’t care what she says or does, she is brilliant, it doesn’t matter whether she’s as mad as a hatter). It’s terrific to see that some Baby Boomers can appreciate music recorded after the 70s. And Gen X’ers truly do like all the stuff from the 60s, it really is great. Dylan is great. 60s theatre was great.

I’m afraid though, that I have met a lot of baby boomers who delight in telling me how crappy my generation’s music is, and how much better it was in the 60s (admittedly a great cultural period). That’s a claim made of other areas besides music—film, books, art, sex, politics, theatre—they were all better in the 60s (I guess that is definitely true of sex, politics, and theatre, but I consider myself a liberal). Because boomers are such a large economic force, I spent most of my time growing up being exposed to boomer culture while stuff that was maybe more relevant to my age group—like the Smiths or Violent Femmes—were regulated to college radio. It’s a little like no matter where I went, people insist on telling me how great everything and everywhere was before I arrived, and how now it’s all crap. As a result, I think a lot of people my age or younger spent their youths looking back at the 60s instead of maybe appreciating what was going on around them. It produced a kind of generational identity crisis.

You can imagine after spending a lifetime hearing about lousy “Gen X” culture was, I began to suspect that I was the reason for the general decline of quality throughout the world, a somewhat depressing state to live in.

A couple of years ago, there used to be this television show (I’ve forgotten the name) that starred Eric Stoltz—I don’t know if he’s known over in England or not, but he’s an actor in his late 30s or early 40 years, about the same age as I am. He started working during the 80s and I consider him to be a “Gen X” actor. Anyway, he was appearing in this show about so-called contemporary married life—the big gimmick about this show was that it was supposed to closely mimic the real life of the people writing it (a sign of bad writing in my opinion, but these were supposedly very famous Hollywood screenwriters). You could tell the writers were Baby Boomers. There was this big scene where Eric Stoltz and Kim Dickens, both in their late 30s and in a story set in the 21st century, were waxing nostalgic over the soundtrack to Hair. “No way,” I thought. “They should be listening to R.E.M. or The Smiths. That’s Eric Stoltz—the star of Some Kind of Wonderful, for cat’s sake!” Some Kind of Wonderful is kind of like Gen X’s version of Rebel Without a Cause (I don’t claim it’s as good, although that it’s a generational hallmark). I was bothered by that detail because, although the characters were portrayed as Gen X’ers, the writers were saying that the only music that could ever be important to them dated from the 60s. I can’t believe that Stolz didn’t put up a fuss while filming that scene.

Another example is when Marlon Brando died. A lot of writers said “well, no one will ever be good as Brando.” But without even having to hesitate, I can think of several Gen X actors off the top of my head who are every bit as good if not superior to Brando—Sean Penn, Johnny Depp, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Mary-Louise Parker.

Cheers,
Dave

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5511
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let me take this opportunity to ask someone from America when it was that the US switched to plastic for its singles. Over here, it was about 1960. There was a short intermediate period when plastic 78 rpm records were made, and then it became all 7 inch stuff.

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2789
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave!
I see what you are saying.I can sympathise
with you too and like you I like Sinead, mad maybe, but absolutely brilliant ! but I admit I do have a different take on the 60"s than any other period.
The 50"s were Soooo dire! Unbelievably dire.But all of a sudden,even a child could sense a sudden shift and a rebellion.Elvis was shaking his pelvis and somehow rock was everywhere and James Dean had been and gone before you even got to High school!
And then the Stones and Dylan became the
High Priests of it all.In London everybody smoked pot and I was then with my ex who worked as a reporter for a Fleet Street paper and was in at the centre of it all meeting people like Jimi Hendrix, Mohammed Ali ,and others daily-those two stick out in my memory because I didnt even get to see them and apparently they were both amazingly beautiful guys.But there were parties and once I got chatted up by one of the Stones-Keith Richards took quite a shine to me -he looked older then than he does now and chatting was as far as it got.
There was a lot of political awareness then too.Our parents had been through a pretty awful war and had had a hard time of it and it made us aware of things in a way that was more intense than seems to be the case today.
But everything was defined by what was cool.I liked Rod Stewart[secretly] , Mikey, but he was never actually cool.I wouldnt ever have admitted to liking him then!The Stones were cool but not the Beatles-not exactly.Janis Joplin was cool but not Tom Jones-though he is today.
And now? well Sean Penn and Johnny Depp - definitely!i actually feel a bit silly saying all this partly because I have always been affected by this need to be "cool".Ridiculous but thats what it was like.Cool.........or hip! Obligatory!

That collection sounds tremendous Dan......
Natalie
x

David O'Flaherty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie,

Well, no one can ever deny that the 60s were a fantastic period. I'm a bit of a Beatles freak myself (not Elvis though). Like most Gen Xers, I admit I'm a little envious of you because you got to experience it (and Caz--how great you saw Black Sabbath).

Cheers,
Dave

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nats,

I love Rod Stewart today way more than when he was young and more popular. Most of his remakes that he is doing now are pretty good. Oh well, we all know how weird I am.

Mikey

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2791
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave,
I like the Beatles !But I prefer the Stones.I love some of the Beatles songs though.Working Class Hero,Imagine,Give Peace a Chance etc and lots of others still resonate.

Mikey,
To my shame i bought the silliest copy of Hello imaginable the other day ,just because it had a picture of Rod on the front!But Oh it was the most
crazy story-rod apparently got into the birthing pool with Penny in his tartan trunks!I mean----!!!
Still it gave us a bit of a laugh---he never changes.

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 713
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nats,

The Stones are an icon -- they've stayed together longer than the Beatles did. God bless them. I just wish they (and me) didn't look so old these days..

My mum was a huge Beatles fan. We had all the 45's and LP's, from the first (in Spanish too) until my brother sold them. So when I hear Beatles music, you know where my immediate thoughts find themselves.

CTG knows why I named one of my kids after John Lennon.. thank goodness the rest of my other kids had the sense to name themselves!

Love,

Lyn x
One of my daughters embarrassed me completely over the holiday break by putting my song-list (which I thought was well hidden) on "overplay" -- several times -- so I heard the Bay City Rollers, Donny Osmond and Vera Lynn (yes, Mags, you know which kid you were, Sweetie) so many times I was virtually suicidal..

I no longer claim to know where I was during the seventies.
What was it that Brad said again?

Oh, yeh.. it was crazy or something.

Yeh, well, it's still crazy, but it's a good thing. So there!

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2797
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn,
I really enjoyed that post.Well maybe they do look a bit worn sometimes but----I mean they havent stopped!
I bought the book on "John" thats just come out by Cynthia Lennon.Its quite good but I prefer Bob Dylan"s autobiography that came out in paper back around the same time.I like the way he writes-no bull sh**ing but brilliant imagery just like his songs.Cynthia writes OK but it wouldnt set the Thames on fire.John sounds a bit heartless in it actually sometimes,which isnt to deny his talent and idealism.But both Yoko and John seemed to have been complete prats in their "Love In " phase.
Sounds as though you lost something precious there though,Lyn!
Nats
x

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2798
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Lyn....are you half Spanish?Do you speak Spanish too?
I am impressed with all this internationalism!
Nats
xxx

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 715
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nats,

I speak 'Spanglish'

That any help?

Love you,

Lyn xxxx

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 716
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nats,

That was a pretty crappy answer. Yeh, I'm originally Latina, but I was brought up in England as an Hispanic/cum/English chick, which may account to my confused personallty, and which may be why I've been so confused for so many years. I do love the Stones, and accept the Beatles, and love the Stones and Marley so much .

Maybe I should take a much longer break from life.

Love you,

Like ****,

Lyn x

(One day at at a time, right?)

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2799
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not a crap answer at all-you do just fine Lyn,more than-!
I am glad you mention Marley----one of the greatest hey!
Nats
x

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 717
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marley took me through those crappy seventies, Nats. God bless him.

Love you, always,

Lyn xxx

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2801
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think he took quite a few through them Lyn
Love you too!
Nats
xxx

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 718
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nats--

Just had the biggest compliment from a friend of Dan's..

He referred to me as Dan's 'Yoko'.

Says it all, I hope (to high God). Mick Jagger's "Marianne Faithful" is more than I think I can cope with.

Love, always,

Lyn x

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 719
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But dear God, please don't let me to allow a beard like that.

Please don't.

Love you always,

Lyn x

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2802
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I spoke to Marianne Faithful a couple of years ago
in a shop near where I live.I was quite overcome having adored her for years.She was quite lovely in her way but no longer the radiant beauty of yesteryear.
I have always thought her and her songs brilliant if its any consolation Lyn!In fact I have ALL her songs and her autobiography too.Now she is very much my contemporary! and she rates right up there for me.What a survivor!My favourite of hers is "Broken English" but I like lots of her more recent ones too.
I have a fairly recent cd of The Chieftans-its worth having just to hear Mick Jagger sing The Long Black Veil.But Marianne is on it and Sinead O" Connor-another I think wonderful.I have nearly all hers too!Oh and Van Morrison sings on it too "Have I told You Lately that I Love You"-----eat you heart out Rod Stewart!
Nats
x
ps I still think that Rod"s one of the best Soul singers around!

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn--

Just to straighten you out, you said, "I named one of my kids after John Lennon" -- I believe you are talking about you daughter, Michelle, aren't you, Lyn. As you explained it to me, you named her after the Beatles song of the same name, which was written by Paul McCartney not John Lennon. Although it is true that the song is credited as a Lennon - McCartney song as were all the songs written by the Beatles barring those written by George Harrison.

And just to straighten myself out, I don't know whether I posted the poem here likening myself to Ariel Sharon in terms of size. Following Mr. Sharon's unfortunate stroke, I have written a couple of poems since announcing my New Year resolutions to give up beer and Kit Kats -- [A sidelight for Ripperologists... the rotund man who inspired the poem is not Sharon but Ivor Edwards seen in the bar of the Royal Albion Hotel, Brighton at the Ripper convention in October]

The Shape I Am In

It's my birthday... fifty seven today,
and in a pub a man floats by with a pint of beer.
I construe him as tubby Ariel Sharon drifting
over porpoised carpet, as Sharon hovers blimp-like
over the mosaicked, jigsawed Mideast. But with despair
I realize I am the tub shape of Sharon -- reject
workout for one more lager at the bar rail,
more munchies. Where is that thin young man
who sailed to Nixon's America,
paddy fields with napalm or Canadian sanctuary
-- I didn't get drafted, lottery no. 315
of 365. But heard of another Liverpool boy,
a non-citizen who died in Vietnam,
could have been me, tear gas and blood
at Kent State in Neil Young's lyrics--
"Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming
Four dead in Ohio."

Ah, but luckily at fifty seven
(all those Heinz varieties of me!)
I can sail above it all,
rolling in the stratosphere
like Ariel Sharon.

No Belly Laugh for Me

No, ma'am, now that
I've given up beer,
y'all cain't call me
Mr Beergut no more.

I'm a lean machine,
venting my spleen
at the couch potatoes,
those spare tire folks.

I WILL be thin; I WILL
get in those duds I never
could before -- now I
have given up the suds.

No Kit Kats

on the train going home
from D.C. to Baltimore, MD:
no treats to munch between
the Anacostia and Seabrook.

In the poem I wrote, published
of late in Words-Myth,
aptly titled "The Shape I Am In,"
I blithely compared myself

to tubby Ariel Sharon,
testimony to my flab -- but
now Ariel lies near death
in a Jerusalem hospital;

blood flooded his brain
after a second stroke
brought on no doubt
by his undue obesity--

I remember the April photograph
of Bush greeting Sharon
in Crawford, after the overweight
Israeli hauled from a limo:

our slim leader accompanied
by his black Scottie
grasping the meaty paw
of the rotund P.M.

What a salutary lesson as I pray
for Sharon's recovery and
continue my fast, slimming
down into the New Year.

Christopher T. George

Sharon and Bush

(Message edited by Chrisg on January 07, 2006)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5519
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

I thought that in an interview (can't remember which one) Lennon said that he wrote the middle section (beginging 'I love you').

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2804
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Chris,
I like your poems!But you dont look anything like that.....seriously you dont.Must have been one of those fair ground mirrors they had installed by accident!
Can"t be too light hearted though about Sharon.
I am not in any way I hope anti semitic-The Pianist was one of my all time favourite films.........
but Ariel Sharon?Forgotten about 16-18th Septenber 1982 massacres in the Palestinian camps of Sabra and Shatila ?
Sorry Chris,I can't grieve for Sharon.
Natalie

Thomas C. Wescott
Chief Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 547
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris and Ivor, representing the Lollipop Guild. :-)

Great poems, Chris!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. And it's not fat, it's muscle at rest!

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 8:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert, Natalie, and Tom

Thank you each. Robert, you may be right that Lennon said he did contribute to McCartney's "Michelle" as they did of course with each others' songs in the earlier years especially.

Nats and Tom, thanks for liking my poems.

Natalie, I am not as slim as I would like, so I am working on it. I have always been on the bigger side so I am sure I will never be "skinny."

I also have mixed feelings about Sharon and I am sure there is blood on many hands on both sides of the Palestinian-Israeli question. On the other hand, a good argument could be made that it is only someone with a hardline background who could make the rapprochement with the Palestinians and heal those wounds, just like Nixon, the ardent anti-Communist, going to China. Many would argue that Sharon represents the best hope for peace in the Israeli-Palestinian situation.

Nats, I envy you meeting Marianne Faithfull. I have been a long-time fan of hers and have just been playing her "A Perfect Stranger" her Island two CD anthology that includes her "Broken English," Lennon's "Working Class Hero" and one of my favorites, "Running for Our Lives." She certainly is a survivor and it is nice to see her continue to have success despite her trials. The moralists would probably say she was a convent girl despoiled by the Rolling Stones... though I think there is a strain in pretty girls with that sort of religious upbringing to go the exact opposite route and rebel against what they were taught.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2805
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,
That is a very sound point actually about Sharon.

Now for a more lighthearted one.

I met Marianne Faithfull in the Summer of 2002 when I was in a certain designer shop in Westbourne Grove,Notting Hill
indulging my Shopaholicism!I had found an orange linen top that cost a few bob and I was just about to get my fix with the purchase of it when I began to lose my bottle at the price,and scurried over to the very sweet and patient shop assistant to ask her if she thought it was the right fit etc.
She was just beginning to say what she thought when an attractive, blond, glamorous but slightly grungy lady who was leaning over the counter talking to her turned to me and admiringly stated that she thought it suited my colouring and asked me if there were any others like it!
As I pointed towards the shelf they were on I suddenly recognised her and involuntarily gasped-"Marianne!"[and felt a complete fool ofcourse].Used to this sort of thing she just nodded and laughed and started to talk about the shop being good etc
I was completely bowled over I must admit!
I still think she is fantastic, and as you say a true survivor- but one gets the impression only just-she still has this rather fragile loveliness
and look of vulnerability when you see her in the flesh and you know somehow that quite early on she just blew away all her astounding beauty without giving much of a damn------part of her attraction though, wouldnt you agree?

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2468
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 3:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave, All,

I saw The Smiths mentioned above. On Christmas Day, my daughter opened a present from our neighbours, the Smith family.

The tag read "Merry Christmas from the Smiths", and Carly said "How nice, The Smiths sending me something". And we both started singing, while waving our hands about vacantly: "I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to we-ear...".

Hubby didn't know what the hell we were on about and thought we'd been at the Harvey's Bristol Cream.

Love,

Caz
X

PS I've kissed Rod Stewart. Mind you, Rachel Hunter was towering over me at the time.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.