Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

JTR "One of the Worst" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » JTR "One of the Worst" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5440
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 4:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These historians are assuming that JTR wasn't Kosminski, Tumblety, or a few others.

http://www.bbchistorymagazine.com/voteList.asp?item_ID=16840

Robert

John Savage
Chief Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 548
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

I voted.................twice.

Rgds
John

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Glad to see Jack rating so highly on this poll. This though is rather an odd assortment of baddies in a number of ways.

Why Sir Oswald Mosley?

At the risk of sounding like a fascist, which I am not, I would say that sure Mosley was a bad man in being a hate mongerer but why is here as the worst Briton of the twentieth century? Who did he actually kill? Why not instead Dr. Harold Shipman or Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper?

Why is Thomas à Becket on the list... the man was a bloody saint and a martyr!

And as for the Duke of Cumberland, on there for the massacre of the Scots after Culloden, wasn't Oliver Cromwell arguably much worse for what he did to the Irish, putting the Irish to the sword at Drogheda and elsewhere? Shouldn't it be Cromwell over Titus Oates for the seventeenth century?

Wouldn't Henry VIII rate over Richard Rich for the sixteenth century? And why Thomas Arundel over the allegedly bloodthirsty Richard III for the fifteenth century? Not that Richard was any more bloodthirsty than most rulers of the day, despite Shakespeare's portrayal of him as an all-time ogre.

Actually any of the Tudors would rate over King John, who like Richard III, appears to be have been more of a "baddie" in myth than reality.

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5448
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 3:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

I think Sawney Bean might have made an appearance.

I know that it's only supposed to be a short list, but I'd like to extend it so as to include two of our so-called heroes - Richard I and Henry V. Disasters, the pair of them.

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris, Robert and John,

You know, Becket never bought a round of drinks in his life. Henry bought them all. Pretty good grounds for making him the worst Briton. Maybe someone who buys the magazine will let us know the real reasoning behind that one.

Dave

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3388
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

because its a public vote?

is that five words
"Yo, don't believe the hype"

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 632
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 5:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was about to ask why "Thomas a Becket?", when I saw that CTG already had. I always thought Thomas a Becket was the recipient of a pretty raw deal.

Not sure whether I should even admit that I haven't a clue who Sir Oswald Mosely was. Why haven't I heard of him before?

And why isn't Mary Whitehouse listed?

Love,

Lyn x
My first reaction is, "OMG that's crazy". But then I'm thinking this just may be crazy enough to work.
copyright © Bradley McGinnis Sept. 2005

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3496
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 7:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He he!!! Keep voting chaps!!!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5450
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 7:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the subject of Britons, recently released documents from 1975 show that in the event of a nuclear war, Prime Minister Harold Wilson was to go to a bunker in the Cotswolds, and art treasures would have been buried in Wales. My question is, why not the other way round?

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3497
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 7:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He he!!! Keep voting chaps!!!
For a JAW-DROPPING read check out
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article335175.ece
Meat cleaver eh?????

Suzi

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5451
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 7:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Cut open and sometimes mutilated"
Difficult to see how you can cut someone open without mutilating them.

Interesting to see that Kelly's room was a public or semi-public place. I suppose that goes with being a prostitute.

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3498
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 7:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brilliant piece of journalism isn't it!!!!!

Quite warming to Eadric though!!!!.actually punched it into Google and it should be spelt...StreNoa!!!...s'getting better!!!!!

Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3499
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 7:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hugh Despenser takes the biscuit though!!!!

Ouch!

(!)

Suzi

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 962
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can think of worse. I have always thought Henry VIII was one of the biggest monsters this country ever created.

William Joyce had a fair amount to answer for. I agree about the mentions of other killers too - why just JTR?

Where are the Christies, the Peaces, the Heaths, the Dyers, the Wests, the Cottons, the Bradys and Hindleys etc etc etc?

Is it because JTR can be the subject of a light-hearted poll because he is unknown and identifiable murderers are thus too taboo to mention? If that is so - it does open a huge can of philosophical worms.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5460
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 4:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip

Yes, I don't like Henry VIII all that much.

Isn't there a bit of a problem with including Joyce? Was he actually British?

Robert

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2442
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 7:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,

It's ok though, because the philosophical worms probably resigned themselves to staying in the can.

Love,

Caz
X

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3533
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip-was going to start on the Wests of this world......then decided to stay in the can too!

Suzi x

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.