Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Hi and thanks Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Hi and thanks « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

cassie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all!

I have been visiting this great site of yours for a few months now, since reading Mr Sudgen’s book. I’ve found the boards very interesting and entertaining but I must admit to feeling a touch…what’s the word?...voyeuristic, lurking about in the shadows, just ‘listening’ in. So, to appease my conscience I’ve decided to pop my head in and say hi and thank you all for relieving me of hours of, what would otherwise have been, hair-tearing boredom. I am only able to get out of the house for a few hours a week to run errands otherwise I'm home all the time(long story – I won’t bore you) so the internet, and this site in particular, has been a godsend.

I have always had a love of social history and a good mystery (I read Agatha Christie’s while all my friends were reading teen romance novels) so the whole JTR case is fascinating to me. I knew very little about it before reading Mr Sugden’s book but you’ll be glad to hear I gave the whole royal conspiracy thing no credence even then – in fact, you only have to mention the work ‘conspiracy’ to me in any context and I feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I am slightly worried that I may be on the way to becoming slightly obsessed about this case though - I even went as far as buying ‘From Hell’ on DVD the other week (it's always a bad sign when the DVD's 'special features' are more entertaining than the film, don't you think?), and I've ordered the revised edition of Mr Begg’s book that’s coming out in a couple of weeks.

Should I seek help now?

Cassie.

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 822
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cassie,

You seem to have more than just the warning signs of "Ripperologic Fever." It may be too late for immunization, so why not register and join in the fun(?) on the boards.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 881
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 9:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cassie - had you even for a moment preferred the film to the extras, there would be no safe haven for you here.

As it is you sound like a lady with her feet on the ground and a brain in her head.

Can I recommend to you a book called PORTRAIT OF A KILLER : CASE CLOSED?

(All right, guys, this will see if she's genuine...)

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 9:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Cassie

It is always nice to meet someone who enjoys the site and has not thus far made their presence known. I hazard to say there are hundreds of people who visit regularly but who do not post. I am sure Stephen Ryder has the figures.

Let me say that you can't go far wrong with the books by Philip Sugden and Paul Begg that you mention, and those are certainly two of the books that I would recommend to newcomers for them to obtain a solid grounding in the case.

I would also point you to the works by Stewart P. Evans and Keith Skinner, The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook aka The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Companion (in the U.S. or U.K. the titles vary) and Jack the Ripper: Letters from Hell. Both Stewart and Keith are excellent and careful researchers and the information they reproduce along with their informed commentary provide a goldmine for students of the case.

Good luck to you, Cassie, and we hope you will not be reticent about posting more. You will find that we are a friendly crew.

Oh, and watch out for Philip. He is a tour guide and used to leading his tour groups down blind alleys. What! Is that a tomato I see coming in my direction, Philip???!!!! duck

Best regards

Chris George

(Message edited by Chrisg on November 10, 2005)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 882
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No Chris. It is a small black kitten with more than just sharp teeth and claws.

PHILIP

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3168
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yo

don't threaten Chris with a murderer Philip, bad bad thing to do
tut tut
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my mamma taught me better than that."

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 883
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You'll be next Jenni.

You know the score... one person works out who is involved so they all have to die. Isn't that what Mr Knight told us?

Suggestions : remove all fish from your house and if you hear a mewing noise, call the police.

PHILIP

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 2:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do I smell sardine breath? fish Sense the presence of the evil-doer of Miller's Court? evil
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 885
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 4:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I tell you, Chris, that would destroy the magic of searching for Jack.

PHILIP

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3170
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yo Philip,

will i ? I thought a feline had moved in down the road. Now I know who it is!!

Jenni
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my mamma taught me better than that."

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2305
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 5:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Cassie,

...in fact, you only have to mention the work ‘conspiracy’ to me in any context and I feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

You should be a wonderful, insightful and objective asset on certain unmentionable threads then...

You did mean any context?

Welcome aboard.

Love,

Caz
XXX

cassie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 6:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,

'Portrait of a Killer'? Aah, yes, I admit to picking it up in a book shop recently and reading the back of it (do I lose points for that?) but the 'Case Closed' bit made me smile and I quickly put it back. Then, of course, I read the glowing comments from you all about it on various threads...

Suffice to say I think Ms Cornwell probably started off quite sincerely but...well, fiction is her forte, is it not?

Cassie.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.