Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Fall is here! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Fall is here! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 793
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The full majesty of fall in New England was late arriving this year, but the last few days have made up for the 360 or so others. Indeed, the past couple days have been so nice that even Montague J., the rocks already in his pockets, might have had second thoughts about life had he been here.

Here's a sample:

Fall - 1

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

David O'Flaherty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How beautiful is that, thanks for the photo. Now I want to go back to Maine.

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 801
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh heck, why not another.Fall-2

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 4:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Truly beautiful, Don. Made my morning.

Many thanks.

Love,

Caz
X

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 491
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 7:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is that THIS year???

We've only got pallid yellows and then brown--too hot in Sept & Oct then too wet, I guess.
Mags

David Radka
Sergeant
Username: Dradka

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 8:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe that I live, coincidentally, only a few miles from Mr. Souden, and likely know the places he's photographed. They are incidentally very close to the burial place of Florence Maybrick.

Looking at these photos, I also realize that there are certain individuals who post this site, certain mind you, that I'd dearly love to see languishing amidst that foliage. Now I don't mean to insult anybody, I mean no harm whatever, but YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.
David M. Radka
Author: "Alternative Ripperology: Questioning the Whitechapel Murders"
Casebook Dissertations Section

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3089
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 5:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yo David,

no I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. Is that a threat against your fellow posters?

Jenni
"Don't you know it's true what they say,That life it ain't easy"

Maria Giordano
Inspector

Post Number: 492
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 7:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David--and I mean this absolutely seriously--

SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP.
Mags

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3096
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 8:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lovely pictures Don.

yo yo

Jenni
"Bring it all back to you"

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5224
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yo

Try and sing "Autumn in New York" as "Fall in New York."

Yo!

Robert

Maria Giordano
Inspector

Post Number: 493
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, I've been listening to Sinatra singing that song all day!
Mags

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5227
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 3:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mags

I think my favourite Sinatra song must be "All My Tomorrows." This was put out with "High Hopes" around 59, presumably as the B side. It seems to be a much-neglected track, but I think it's terrific.

Robert

Rodney Gillis
Detective Sergeant
Username: Srod

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 7:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,
I always enjoy listening to "Just the Way You Look Tonight".

This was a very strange Fall in New England. I still have leaves on my maple trees here in Vermont. Very late.

Maria Giordano
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 501
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, I couldn't begin to name my favorite Sinatra song, although I'm very partial to the live version of "Moonlight In Vermont" recorded in Paris 1962. But there's also the version of "Night and Day" on the same album. And so it goes.

Speaking of Vermont, yes Rodney, I live in upstate NY and we have the same weird conditions. Half the leaves are still green and on the trees and the other half just turned brown and fell off. And yesterday it was 70 degrees.

Of course,ther's no such thing as global warming. Just ask Dubya.
Mags

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5231
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mags and Rod

I have a CD somewhere of a show he did with Bing Crosby, and he's singing
Climb upon my knee Bingy Boy
Though you're ninety-three Bingy Boy

Robert

Brad McGinnis
Inspector
Username: Brad

Post Number: 278
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 2:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gang! Same here in western Pa. Lots of trees still have their leaves. The colors this year are abit muddy, due to a dry summer, but Autumn in western Pa is always spectacular. As far as global warming...well where I live on the Allegehengy plateau of the Applichians, 1500 feet above sea level, used to be a tropical sea. Ive got the fossils to prove it. The earth will do as it will, and we shall cope with it or perish like the dinosaurs. Dubuya aint got nothing to do with it, the guy cant find his ass let alone cause global warming. Just a thought...

Brad McGinnis
Inspector
Username: Brad

Post Number: 279
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 2:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and thanks for the pics Don, they are spectacular!

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 8:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice photos Don...very nice,sir.

The leaves haven't changed completely in my back yard....the world's biggest municipal park..Fairmount Park. Edgar Poe wrote a story about it,entitled "Morning on the Wissahiccon"

Caz..if you liked Don's photos..ahem...you'll love my backyard. A 150 foot vertical drop into autumnal heaven...romantic..with hiking trails...a tributary into the Schuykill River...little benches for sitting and absorbing the splendor of nature...

I think airfare to the States is at an all time low...just in case you was wonderin' and was interested...in nature that is.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2289
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 5:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi How,

But wouldn't that upset the mild-mannered Mrs Birchwood?

I'll just get my passport and toothbrush...

Love,

Caz
X

Lindsey Millar
Chief Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 506
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don,

Those pics are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing them.

I'm experiencing "fall" for the first time in 17 years as a US resident. New Mexico simply runs from summer to winter, and straight back to summer. Here in Georgia I'm seeing leaves on the ground. I'm just waiting for them to be raked into a nice neat pile so I can do a 'Calvin'

Lyn
Although present on the occasion, I have no clear recollection of the events leading up to it.
Winston Churchill

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 818
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are now past peak and the colors muting, though there remain surprises in this unusual year. The oaks, whose leaves generally do little but turn brown (though the acorns provide fodder for squirrels and turkeys), were this year a strange coppery color. Anyway, one more from the other day.

Fall-3

Don.
PS: Caz, love to have you in the States, but Howie's advice on air fare sure sounds like an updating of the mellodrama line "Once aboard the lugger and she's mine!" (Audience hissssssses.)

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 2:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Don

I'd love to have Caz anywhere, as long as we don't have to talk about the Diary. wink

Anyway, back to the leaves--

Fall

Fall 2
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 819
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 2:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Where are you (or, more correctly, where were these taken)?

Don.

Jane Coram
Chief Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 619
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Don,

They really are absolutely beautiful pictures, I have them saved for when I am feeling low to perk myself up. It does look very much like my neck of the woods...........thanks for posting them.

Love Jane

xxxxx

I am just about to tuck into that icecream.......but don't tell anyone........hee hee

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 4:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho all,

It all looks quite beautiful. Oddly, Autumn is very late this year in England. I remember a few years ago walking back from Nottingham Goose Fair (which is in the first week of October) rustling through deep drifts of leaves in Mapperley Park. But this year the leaves are only dropping now.

Is this global warming? I must admit I'm enjoying this mild autumn.
Cheers, Mark Andrew Pardoe

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho all,

Wouldn't it be fun if the gallant Notts County and the evil Nottingham Forest swap divisions at the end of this season?

I keep hearing on Radio 5 Live how terrible it is to see the once double European Champions Forest in such dire states. All I can say is NO IT'S NOT .

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 2:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Don

I am in Maryland but I have to 'fess up that those are Fall pictures that I picked up on the Net not original photographs as yours are. D. Radka believes your pics were taken near Litchfield, CT, burial place of Florence Maybrick. Might I ask, have you been there, Don? Another stock pic--

Chris

trees
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 821
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Chalk up another one in the errors column for David (who did once tell me he was a pretty good fielder as a youth). These were all shot in my immediate neighborhood and not in or around Litchfield. I've been through there many times but never visited Florrie's grave.

Don.

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector

Post Number: 292
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho all,

I must apologise for the odd appearance of thoughts about football appearing in this thread. It should, of course, gone elsewhere.

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 823
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 1:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark,

Hey, it's Pub Talk so no prob, though you'd probably get a better response in the "Sports thread for Monty."

That said, I can give a bit of local lore about the demise of Nottingham Forest. Back when Forest was king of the hill some college-age guys in town entered a team in an area amateur summer soccer league and named that team "Waveny Forest" (they played in Waveny Park) with the Forest part an allusion to the then successful Nottingham side.

Today, Nottingham Forest once more only conjures up images of Robin Hood and were they to have a team now it might be "Waveny Chelsea," which doesn't have the same ring at all.

Don.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5270
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 2:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's OK Mark, you weren't talking about football, you were talking about Notts County.

Didn't mean it, Mark, honest!

Robert

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector

Post Number: 296
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 8:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho all,

Yes of course it's Pub Talk and I'll be chatting in a few pub's in Berkhampstead tonight. Something to look forward to.

Nottingham Forest got its Forest bit of name as the club started on what is now the Forest Recreation Ground in Nottingham; a very large hilly park with large trees, flat areas for football and cricket, a putting green, a memorial to the Boar War and prostitutes.

I lived near there in the 1950s and played on the Forest many times. It is also the site of Goose Fair which brings me full circle to where I started. (Like many of the arguments to be found elsewhere on this site .

John Savage
Chief Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 530
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whip Mark,

If you happen to be in the Three Hourseshoes at Winkwell, have one for me. ( I had my first pint there when I was 14)

Rgds
John

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector

Post Number: 297
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 2:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho John,

Actually they were the Crystal Palace, Boat and Rising Sun walking along the towpath and I didn't fall into the Grand Union Canal.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.