Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Maria Birchwood
Sergeant
Username: Maria

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Howard:

I have been looking at my work schedule and today, I received a Spanish case from our associates in Vienna so I'm flying out to Spain, on a business trip next Tuesday the 27th of September and I won't be back in Britain until the 4th of October, the Brighton Conference is on the 7th, so I feel it would be too much dashing about, especially when you consider that I when I come home, I have to do all the paperwork, so I think now, this is more important, after all. The Brighton Conference is after all, just a bit of fun. So no, I won't be able to attend but thanks for thinking all of those nice things about me

Another thing, we just received a BBC video that they made of our work, featuring Hector, we are very pleased with it; he came out really well. The producers are very pleased with it and this pilot programme will become a series of 15 episodes which will be shown nation wide in Britain at the beginning of next year. Is really great news and we are celebrating it this evening with a toast! You are right he is a winner, even though we do not share the same political ideologies.

Our associate in Vienna tells me that today, they are holding a Memorial Service for Simon Wiesenthal, the Nazi Hunter who was instrumental in bringing to justice some of the worst Nazi monsters of the holocaust, his work was invaluable and his institute has been very helpful to us over the years in tracing Jewish families, he died at the age of 97.

Wait a moment, on re-reading your post, I'm not promising a copy of the O'Donnell manuscript, just the two letters of how Melvin got it, which is different to the copy of the manuscript. One of the letters is by Peter O'Donnell, son of Bernard O'Donnell; who is the script writer for the comic strip Modesty Blase.

As I said before, released copies of the manuscript will depend on the buyer of the manuscript, since Maureen plans to sell not only the Manuscript but the publishing rights and film rights of the documents. I hope this is clear. Sorry about any misunderstandings.

--Maria

Maria Birchwood
Sergeant

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 4:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ken:

Oh! thanks for your kind words. Unfortunatelly, envy is one of those low vices in certain human beings that cannot possibly be happy about another person's good fortune without feeling a gripe.

"The size of your house, the size of your son's ring, your car " or " Are you a bored housewife"
It all shows a lack of generosity towards others good fortune. Very sad individuals.

Take care dear.

--Maria

Ally
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Ally

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And it's only obnoxious bores who thinks their financial information is of interest to anyone but themselves.

Not to mention repugnant on a thread about the misfortune and poverty of others--a topic the very same hypocritical bore has been hammering for weeks.

Maria Birchwood
Sergeant

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally:

I have not described my financial information--Howie offered to give me guidedance on car wiring and I told him him why I don't need such advice anymore. If those poor souls you are talking about had had cars, they wouldn't have been in the shocking predicament the whole world felt appalled.

Have any preparations been done for the new hurricane on course
Or is President Bush is still playing golf on this one too?

--Maria

Maria Birchwood
Sergeant

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally:

But then of course, you were describing yourself,
we have not forgotten when you said:

"AND LET'S NOT FORGET THAT I GET PAID GREAT HEAPS GOBS OF MONEY ( to do my job ) "

No, Ally, we haven't forgot that. We have not forgotten the hypocritical bore you are.

--Maria}

Nicholas Smith
Detective Sergeant
Username: Diddles

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just in case anyone's interested, Rita is just about to hit Texas but fortunately people have had enough sense to get out of there.

Just take care everyone.
Jules

Ally
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 4:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a question for the class:

In order to have taken the above statement literally, a person would either have to be

a.) completely detached from reality to think that teachers actually make great heaping gobs of money

or

b.) so completely stupid that they are incapable of recognizing sarcasm when they read it.

Hmm..completely stupid or completely detached from reality...

I'll go with c.) both a and b

(Message edited by Ally on September 22, 2005)

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jules,Ally,Maria,all...

I'm staying in touch via computer with my friend, Tim Mosley,who lives near Houston,and who has family members in harms way at present. Despite,as Jules mentioned, the heads up action of Texans in regard to making evacuation plans, some people are still having difficulty avoiding what lies ahead for them.

Keeping fingers crossed for my pal Tim and all his clan. Cross yours for Tim,if you would.
How Brown
Head Honcho,
www.JTR Forums.com

Ally
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll cross my fingers and think good thoughts for him.

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 7:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Ally .... He's worried about an elderly family member who has trouble getting around in any situation. Its an awful feeling to not be able to help him out from here. They don't come any nicer than Tim..
How Brown
Head Honcho,
www.JTR Forums.com

John Hacker
Inspector
Username: Jhacker

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

Give Tim my best. I'll keep him and his family in mind.

Best regards,

John

P.S. Tell him not to be a stranger, eh?

Maria Birchwood
Sergeant

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 3:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howie:

My sister Monica lives in Dallas,Texas with her two young boys and have tried to get a hold of her on her home phone line, mobile phone and also her phone at work; but no luck so far.

Today, is her birthday and I have no way of knowing what is happening to her and the children, since all I get is her 3 answering machines. I don't even know whether this hurricane is going to affect Dallas or not, since the news are very sketchy here. They just show a few palm trees being blown furiously by the wind and the rain, a satellite picture and in less than a second, the hurricane story is finished. I had to wait till the very late news last night and this morning, where they show all the cars leaving. And this time, they seem to have learned from the last time, and are sending off the car-less people out of town in school buses.

In the meantime, I hope that I can find my sister in her mobile. What a way to spend her birthday !

Howie, thank you for keeping us informed.

Take care,

-Maria

Maria Birchwood
Sergeant

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 4:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally: So, you have described yourself as sarcastic. You said it, --not me !

--Maria

Ally
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 5:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah and your point would be?

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 5:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear John:

Yes sir..I will do just that. Apparently,he and his immediate family are entrenching themselves and foregoing any ideas of evacuating at the moment...

Some summer for those evacuees from New Orleans,huh?

I will try to get him back to the chat [ I do this every week and its like pulling teeth...].

Maria....Keeping fingers crossed for your kinfolk too....thanks for the efforts in putting those two papers from Mrs. Harris in good hands.

Ally....I told him my dear.

How Brown
Head Honcho,
www.JTR Forums.com

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 473
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How,

My thoughts, and Dan's are very much with WTM and his family. Praying that they all manage to stay safe. Keep us posted.

I will try to get him back to the chat [ I do this every week and its like pulling teeth...

Tell him that Vila is doing a crap job of coming up with topics - and the rest of us need a whip-meister to encourage us stay on topic these days anyway - maybe that will do it..

Let us know if you hear from Tim further.

Bestest.

Maria - bickering aside for the moment.. hope you manage to reach news of your sister and her family.

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

steve turner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The hurricane? a natural disaster, made so much worse by the dithering responce from both Federal, and local government. Its the kind of thing that happens every day, all over the World, it just doesn't normally disturb our comfortable little lives. Lets just hope lessons have been learned, and that by Sunday Texas doesn't resemble Hiroshima.

Amused
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 2:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must agree with Ally, what double standards Mrs. Birchwood has. She spouts political bile and assumes that everyone agrees with her. Woe betide them if they don't. It does seem that she is a bored housewife and needs something to occupy her mind. So she decides to regail all and sundry with her odd political views and at the same time, for good measure, tell everyone what a great life she has herself. Very odd indeed. Well, may I ask the four-bedroomed house occupying, Welsh Utopia dwelling, globe-trotting, BMW driving lady that she would do better to keep all this to herself.

Dan L. Hollifield
Detective Sergeant
Username: Vila

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,
Please tell Tim that he and his family are uppermost in our thoughts.
And I'll echo Lyn by saying I do a good job of keeping trolls out of the chatroom, but I really suck as a topical chat moderator. The chatroom needs a good moderator for the two weekly chats. I have too many irons in the fire to research good topics, same for Brad, Ally, Spry, everyone. Tim did it best, and I hated his leaving us from the very first moment. Tell him I want him to seriously think about coming back. We miss him, and the chatroom needs him too.
And Lyn spoke for both of us before hoping that anyone with family in harm's way will find them to be safe and unharmed.
Dan

Maria Birchwood
Sergeant

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Howie:

Thank you for your kind thoughts, I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for your friend too.

I have heard from my sister, she had just flown back from New Mexico and this is why I couldn't contact her before. She is fine, things are calm and normal in Dallas, and the evacuees are beginning to arrive. I have advised her to get tins of food, bread, milk etc. as the people coming in, will be buying lots of food, and in order to avoid the crowds during the weekend, she should stock up; and also fill in her car with petrol, to avoid long lines, as there are fears that the oil refineries that provide 1/3 of the U.S. fuel could be damaged by the storms, there are also fears of an environmental disaster if this happens.

Apart from that, her boyfriend is taking her out for her birthday, and got a wonderful bouquet from her Spanish ex-boyfriend, the children are well and everything in Dallas is normal. So that is excellent news.

And yes, about the letters. You will get them, leave that to me. I will make sure this happens.

Lyn, thank you for the kind wishes. I don't like bikering, It would have been nice to have a welcome to a new comer, instead of: " Are you a bored housewife" just put yourself in my shoes. How would you like it. When you come to Britain to your new life, instead of saying hello Lyn, people would ask you: "Are you a bored housewife ?" Not nice.

--Maria

Dan L. Hollifield
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 2:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maria,
Just imagine the cognitive dissonance when Lyn proudly announces to them "Why yes, quite well bored, thank you for asking. And how are you?" and still manages to keep a straight face.
Dan

Maria Birchwood
Sergeant

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 5:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan:

The point is: That I'm not bored.

Chiguagua!!! Ally, Can't you see it?
First you are complaining about your pay check, then you describe yourself as abnoxious and a hypocritical bore and lastly... as a sarcastic!

You are in trouble girl. I feel sorry for you,
Really.

I'm sure there are some redeeming qualities about yourself that we haven't seen yet. You are being too hard, and too judgemental on yourself.

Please be kind to yourself,
All the best,

-Maria

Ally
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maria,

I realize that the "I know you are but what am I" response is about the best that you can do given your limited capabilities, but really, even six year olds recognize it as the pathetic tactic of a loser.

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 474
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 2:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, Maria, I wouldn't be offended in the least. I already know I'm going to be a bored housewife. But I will most probably spend my countless hours of boredom in the library checking out more books to read. Or hunting down a pensioner in a nursing home for a chat and a smoke. Or doing a U-turn to take a "will work for food" person for a Big Mac - but that's just my thing. (Heck, even if they're not that desperate, what does a Big Mac cost.) Let's face it, Maria. You and I have completely different values. You seem to be besotted with the superficial things in life. And if that's what keeps you content, so be it. I take it you won't turn up on my doorstep for an evening meal of home grown veggies and deer meat.

By the way.. some I've done a U-turn for have a job and a life now, and have recipocated with a Big Mac. Others I pass on the street hug me, regardless of how bad we both might smell.

I was touched this morning when you couldn't reach your sister, which is why I put bickering aside. But once you knew your sister was okay..

As Ally rightly said, this is afterall
a thread about the devestation that hurricains have brought to countless others - if you wish to continue bickering (and it is bickering, not bikering. Bikering is something I enjoy) feel free to e-mail me. My e-mail is in my profile.

Lyn

(Where on Earth did you get the thought I was going to Britain? I left there years ago)

"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Nicholas Smith
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 5:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't a Chiguagua a type of animal that can be eaten? I'm pretty sure if we had them in Oz, me and my Abo mates would have had fun catching them and having a feed.

Lyn. Come back! England needs you:-)

Jules

Maria Birchwood
Sergeant

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 6:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lyn:

Can't you read ? You are in the wrong thread !
This is the Hurricane Thread. Maybe you ought to go and set up your own: Bored Housewife Thread, or your own Bickering Thread --But sorry, I won't be joining you in either. Good Luck !

--Maria

TO ALL BRITISH ABROAD.
Consular staff from Houston Washington and other offices across the U.S. have been re-deployed to the region to help British nationals.

A rapid deployment also arrived from London and citizens were made aware of a 24 hour emergency phone line to the British Embassy in Washington.

--Maria

Nicholas Smith
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 7:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maria, yeah this is a Hurricane thread so what's all this crap with you and Ally all about?
Jules

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 475
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maria,

Can't you read ? You are in the wrong thread !
This is the Hurricane Thread.

What was it I mentioned?

this is afterall
a thread about the devestation that hurricanes have brought to countless others - if you wish to continue bickering... feel free to e-mail me.

My e-mail is in my profile.

Lyn

Nicholas Smith
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is mine:-) I'd love to hear from any 'Ripperjillogists'

Jules

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a brief note to fill people in on Tim Mosley and his situation.

I tried numerous times to call him,but the circuits were jammed. Even the cell phones weren't working...

But his area has had power restored after an evening power outtage...I've been in touch via Internet.

He is in pretty good spirits,considering the Hurricane.

More to come. He says thanks to all for their concern.

How Brown
Prop.
WWW.JTRForums.com

Nicholas Smith
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that Howie, 'tis good news indeed. Give the old bastard our best regards.

Cheers
Jules

And all of you keep safe ok.

Maria Birchwood
Sergeant

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howie:

What a relief you must feel now that your friend is o.k. Yes, it is quite horrible, the uncertainty; the not knowing if they are alright or not. So that is excellent news, that you finally got in touch at last !

Jules... A Chiguagua is a tiny dog. Not meat material. Its just skin and bones. If you tread on the dog's paw; the dog is finished !

I wouldn't have thought you could even make soup out of a Chiguagua, unless one likes to lick a bone !

--Maria

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although there has been damage done to the Houston and Southeastern area of Texas, our friend and fellow Ripperologist,Tim Mosley, is doing fine. In fact,he went to bed a while ago,as last night was pretty rough going...

He told me to extend his thanks for your concern.

Now to get him into chat....hmm.
How Brown
Prop.
WWW.JTRForums.com

ERey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 7:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

According to this story in today's online New Orleans Times Picayune, many of the reports of violence and mayhem in the wake of Hurricane Katrina seem to have turned out to be false or without substantiating evidence.

This seems to be the historical norm for large-scale natural disasters, as this blog post with a link to an interesting research paper points out: horrible atrocities are widely reported (often supposedly committed by members of derogated ethnic groups) even in reputable media, but ultimately these stories do not withstand factual examination.

Maria Birchwood
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 5:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This will be remembered as the year in which nature made clear its indifference to the fate of mankind. First came the tsunami, which wiped out 225,000 lives the day after Christmas. The famine enfulfing Niger. Then came Hurricane Katrina, which transformed a vibrant American city into a fetid, uninhabitable swamp. Now comes the Kashmir earthquake.

A quake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale hit a mountainous region where Pakistan, India and Afghanistan meet. Men and women were crushed in their homes and workplalces as their roofs fell in. Children were killed as their schools collapsed around them. In one school alone, 1,500 students died trapped inside. Whole villages were reduced to rubble in moments. The death toll has been estimated at up to 40,000. Up to half of those who have died are children. Whole generations wiped out. There are children burying their parents.

This was a disaster that took place half a world away from us. We have witnessed heart-rending images of people being pulled from their destroyd homes. Perhaps most disturbing have been the personal testimonies of children's voices calling out from the rubble; the pitiful accounts of people scrabbling around the ruins of their homes to free relatives calling for help

A vast number of children have been orphaned and up to 4 million people are homeless. We mus also recognise that when disasters afflict less affluent countries, their governments lack the resources to respond as effectively as they might. And we, as prosperous citizens of the Western world, have a responsibility to donate too. That is why an appeal has been launched by the Disasters Emergency Committee, an umbrella body bringing together a dozen of the best known charities, including OXFAM, The Red Cross and Save the Children. This is an immediate and positive way to help. Hundreds of thousands are in desperate need of food, shelter, clothing, sanitation, and medicine. Unless the survivors receive them speedily, disease will swell the death toll. The aid agencies need funds to prevent this happening, and to rebuild lives.
I hope anyone reading this will summon up their spirit of compassion and donate generously.

--Maria

Maria Birchwood
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 6:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi every one:

We are ONE world, let's look after it. Read above.

--Maria

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 487
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 12:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! That was truly quite profound!

Yes, we all ought to do whatever we can. Within our individual abilities, of course. (People honestly in need seem to accept the smallest gestures.)
It's wonderful that you want to help, Maria. Thank you. It's inspiring.

In fact, to quote a poet I admire:

Can you hear the thunder, can you see the weapon's flare?
Explosions boil the ground while their sound splits the air.
Old men sit at home... playing their power games,
while young men on the battlefields get lead through their brains.
Politicians work to make the world safe for them,
the Devil told me once that they were working for him!
How did we ever come this far, being ordered to kill?
It's plain to me that this will never cure the world's ills:

Because we're one world, one people
and we're fighting among ourselves.
One world... under blue skies,
until we turn it into hell.

Listen to me people, can we bring this to an end?
Or will we see another crime against the family of man?
Monsters burning crosses bright beneath the southern skys
While Businessmen are telling us that it's our turn to die.
Will we let Big Business heap up our funeral pyre?
Is it right that you should die in a nuclear fire?
I pray hope and guidance from the Lord up above,
while governments choose evil ways instead of love.

and we're fighting among ourselves.
One world... under blue skies,
until we turn it into hell.

I cry to God for mercy for the whole human race,
but all I see are tears that are running down the Lord's face.
How can we leave each other just to starve and to die?
I think of all the children and my tears sting my eyes.
Come let us now join hands to save this lost human race,
before our world's a dust cloud floating free out in space!
So tell me people, how much longer can this go on?
To fight and kill each other, it can only be wrong:

and we're fighting against ourselves.
One race... we're all children here
until we blow it all to hell.

So, what are we gonna do to help?

Lyn
Never leave home without a paperback.. nor return without an extra.

Maria Birchwood
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 5:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lyn

I will be putting the poem at my local OXFAM book shop, is truly wonderful.

Thank you.

-Maria

Maria Birchwood
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 7:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lyn

Here and now, people should help generously to the people who most need this help. There shouldn't be red tape nor burocratic difficulties to get that help. I'm pleased to tell you that OXFAM got 800 tents for shelter and 3,000 blankets on the first plane that left London,
which touched down on Kashmir soil on the 4th day of the tragedy. Other planes with OXFAM relief have already left to there with the rest of the aid.

-Maria

Dan L. Hollifield
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 2:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maria,
Thank you very much for the compliment about my lyrics. The web page with a good printable version of the song is at:
http://www2.aphelion-webzine.com/poetry/oneworld.htm
One of these days I'll get around to writing the music that goes with those lyrics. That is only one of the things I've written that needs the finishing touches of a musical score. Thanks again for the compliment, Maria.

Vila

"Extremely difficult. Virtually impossible... However, it should only take me ten minutes or so."

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maria:

I'll do what I can [ money wise ]..and thanks for the reminder on this thread.

Same old same old here...Pakistan accepted India's gesture to help the victims out,as India had volunteered to send helicopters with rations and medical supplies....but the Pakistani government will only allow the helicopters to fly as long as only Pakistani's fly them..

Maria Birchwood
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howie:

Isn't it sad ? Our planet is melting at the poles. And the governments cannot put their petty differences behind them to help their own people.

Guatemala and El Salvador were not ungrateful when Cuba offered them 1,600 doctors and 26, 000 tons of medicines, nor refused Hugo Chavez gift of gasoline When Hurricane Stan devastated their tiny countries 3 weeks ago.

Dan

With poems like those, you can sleep walk any girl to the moon my dear. Lyn, you are a very lucky girl. I wish you both the very best.

And YES, do the music for that wonderful poem, I'm already looking forward to it, even though the poem on its own is excellent. I was so impressed I did look it up in the google, so my copy in OXFAM has your name on it. Never fear...

-Maria

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.