Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Are the PIRA going away Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Are the PIRA going away « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher Lowe
Sergeant
Username: Clowe

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 5:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently the Provisional IRA announced an end to all activities and commitment to the democratic process.

The question is does anybody believe them?

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 6:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not if they have any sense.

Several years ago when the much vaunted Good Friday agreement was being cheered to the rafters I was giving a lecture on Forensics and I was asked if the truce would hold.

I replied no - all that would happen is that the atrocities would continue committed by the same men, using the same stock of explosives only this time they would call themselves something different. Shortly afterwards we had the 'Continuity IRA, the Real IRA etc etc.

What people don't wish to grasp is the IRA is a criminal organisation, just like the Mafia. They have no political ambitions at all - their only ambition is to run a criminal organisation, which is exactly what they are doing.

In the early seventies members of the PIRA sat down with Unionists and divided up the rackets, just like Capone did in Chicago. The IRA took such rackets as the black cabs, the unionists took prostitution and so on.

To try and deal with the IRA in any other manner than that of a criminal organisation is a waste of time.

The politicians may wish to delude themselves they have accomplished something but I can assure you the security forces and the people of Ireland ( North and South) know the truth.

Christopher Lowe
Sergeant
Username: Clowe

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 5:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob,
I agree with you and so does one politician I can name Michael McDowell. Things are worse since the peace process began (in terms of normal criminality, not terrorism) both sides openly prey on their own communities. The dissidents are active in places like Limerick in a gang feud there.
The provo's at the moment seem to be attempting to gain electoral success, here in the South despite believing that the Republic of Ireland is Britain's Vichy government (or so they say).

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.