Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Advice Needed on Finding Documents Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Advice Needed on Finding Documents « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nicholas Smith
Sergeant
Username: Diddles

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day everyone,

I hope you are all well especially those who comute around the London are.

The other day I received a request from someone who wants to find documents relating to the murder of a Francis Allen in London, Aug/Sept 1933. He left behind a 9yr old daughter (at the time) and used to work for the Daily Mail.

I have contacted them with no joy.

I'm trying to find old newspaper articles, coroners reports, trial manuscripts (if there are any), basically anything.

If anyone could assist I'd be really greatful. If you don't wanna post, just email me.

Sincerely
Nicholas

Nicholas Smith
Sergeant

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 3:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day John, Sue and Robert. Thanks for your replies.

Yeah John, if you could email me that article that would be great. My email is veebee45@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks for that mate. If I can return the favour just let me know.

G'day Lisa, thanks for your offer and yeah, if you can dig anything up on this guy that would be really helpful. Thanks.

G'day Robert, yeah mate, it is Jules in disguise. After finding my real parents I changed my name back to what I was called at birth. I'm also now living in England.

Anyway mate, John has found an article in the Times, Oct '32 about Francis Allen and is going to email it to me. Lisa is going to the FRO to have a look around so it looks like I'm off to a start.

Thanks everyone.
Um, how come I got all you emails but there aren't any posts here? Very strange!

Take care
Nicholas/Diddles/Jules/Confused

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4725
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 5:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jules

I checked 1933 and 34 executions, and nobody seems to have swung for the murder. So IF there was a trial, maybe it was a Not Guilty, or a sentence commuted.

On the other hand, I don'r know exactly how reliable this site is. I think Stewart Evans has written a pretty comprehensive book about executions, if you can get your hands on that.

http://www.murderfile.net/index2.htm

Robert

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 797
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Just to clarify, the Stewart Evans' book Executioner is about one specific hangman and does not cover the dates in question.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4726
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 1:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, thanks Dan. Sorry Jules, then the book's by someone else! I know I've seen a book with all the executions listed - saw it in Waterstone's, I think. I'll let you know if I learn anything more.

Robert

Nicholas Smith
Sergeant

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your help Robert and Dan,

John sent me the newspaper article and it seems poor Francis got a bit pickled at a party in Colliers Wood back in 1932 and got a bit out of hand. His mate, Thomas George Williams, thumped him and he fell over and hit his head. He died in hospital 2 months later.

Thomas pleaded 'not guilty' to manslaughter, and the jury aggreed.

Now I've just got to find his grave and get the trial transcripts.

I'm trying to get other info from B, D & Ms like when he was born, if he was married, what he did for a living etc.

It's all very interesting stuff.

Take care and I'll visit again tomorrow
Jules

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.