Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Aldgate Bombing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Aldgate Bombing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 3:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally

Just in case you're genuinely confused (gracious, how many times have I had to say that to C*z?), I would never dream of being so stupid as to deny that religions teach by parable.

The tiny flaw in your argument lies elsewhere - the bits of the Koran you posted aren't parables.

However, I do realise it must be difficult for you to judge that, from the tiny out-of-context snippets you copied and pasted from www.muslimsareevil.com or wherever.

Chris Phillips

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 993
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 3:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Just in case you are genuinely confused: everything in a religious text is meant to be an example of how one should lead their life. Thus, most anything in a religious text can be taken as a parable. As you fail to grasp this concept (along with your idiotic demand that I post quotes that weren't from the 7th century from a text that was supposedly written in the early 7th century...I mean that little bit of idiocy is still boggling me) a story about the religious history is to be used as a parable and is meant to be used as a guide on how to live your life now. If you don't accept that simple concept, then please go to the Quran and find me the text that says something along the lines of "In the years 2000-2010, after the righteous bombing of the infidel on infidel shores, here is how our muslim brothers must behave". If you cannot find any such modern texts for how to behave, then you must accept the stories of the past are meant to guide the actions of muslims today and are used by those who read them as parables. One is supposed to apply the story of how Mohammed behaved to how they are to behave today...that makes it a parable.

Have a nice day.

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 3:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally

As I said, I just posted that last message in case you were genuinely confused about why I took issue with your use of the word parable - as it seemed from your post to Glenn that you were.

Anyhow, thanks for your further thoughts on religious literature. Their naivete could be quite entertaining if they didn't bear such poisonous fruit.

I think you were on surer ground with your observations on nappies (perhaps you think of them as diapers?).

Chris Phillips

Ally
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 994
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see Chris, so if you don't believe that the quran and the bible were written to illustrate how one was to behave, then for what purpose were they written and why did you quote the peace passages to support how you believe muslims are? Either the text of the quran is supposed to be exemplary of the behavior of muslims or it is not. If it is, then the violence passages are as apt to descrive the muslim religion as the peace. You can't have it both ways.

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Omlor

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 5:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I am staying out of the "which religion is the most violent" argument. I will confess at the outset that I agree with Ally that all these silly superstitions about invisible divine beings are potentially deadly.

But I've got nothing else to do at the moment, and so I've decided, perhaps naively, to try and clear up the "parable" business -- especially because it seems to me that both Chris and Ally are correct.

The quotes originally in question were these, cited by Ally:

"(8:12), "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve, therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them. This is because they acted adversely to Allah and his messenger; and whoever acts adversely to Allah and his messenger - then surely Allah is severe in requiting evil.

(9:3) "Announce painful punishment to those who disbelieve."

(9:5) "So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."

Now, in the strictest sense of the term, Chris is correct. These passages are not technically parables. Parables, as Ally correctly stated earlier, are simple stories illustrating a moral or religious lesson. Sometimes, as in the case of Kafka's "Parables and Paradoxes," they are not so simple stories and the lesson is a bit more problematic, but nevertheless, for the most part parables routinely contain some sort of narrative element. The passages Ally cited are not primarily narrative based, but are directly prescriptive in structure.

In the larger sense, however, Ally is correct that like so many religious texts, they are meant to be read as inspiration and for guidance and in that sense they serve a function similar to the parable's. And of course, they are part of a much larger parable -- the book as a whole -- which uses the life of the prophet as a parable for one's own life.

So, depending on whether we are speaking in the strictly literal sense or in the generally figurative, one could say that the passages in question are not parables but also that they function as parables.

Blessed are the peacemakers,

--John

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 595
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 6:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep - information on the terrorist bombings in London 2 weeks ago and initial heartfelt concern from many of the posters has deteriorated into the usual bitch fight.

Nasty.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 6:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John

Blessed are the peacemakers, for their work often involves stepping into the firing line.

Seriously, though, it makes no sense to look at these bits of the Koran in isolation. They are fragments taken out of context, to the extent that what is described as 9:3 is just the final bit of the final sentence, with the initial letter changed to upper case to disguise the fact.

If you look at the context of chapter 8, it is not a prescription for believers. It is from an account of a specific historical battle, and supposedly records what Allah commanded the angels to do.

It's no more a parable than the story of Jael and Sisera, and I don't hear Ally claiming that Judaism encourages women to drive tent-pegs into men's skulls.

Chris Phillips

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip

Well, I don't know what you think about it, but the reason I intervened in this thread was some pretty sickening statements from Bob Hinton suggesting that Muslims in general were somehow sympathetic to the bombings.

That's what I found nasty, but sadly I seem to be (almost) the only person on the boards who felt that way.

Chris Phillips

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Yes, by themselves the lines are not strictly parables. The Prodigal Son is a parable. The Good Samaritan is a parable. The Sermon on the Mount is not -- technically speaking. They are, at one level, two different types of religious discourse.

But they both serve similar functions (to teach and inspire, one through narrative and one through prescription and epigram and parallelisms and the language of promise) and they both function as part and parcel of the larger and more important parable -- which is the life of Jesus -- from which the faithful can take inspiration and guidance.

I think that's the sort of situation we have here.

So again, it seems to me that one can make the argument, moving from the specific to the general, that both positions (yours and Ally's) can be properly defended without any great damage to the concept.

Perhaps I should have said, "Blessed are the cheesemakers,"

-John (at the bottom of the mount with Brian)

Ally
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 995
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh finally! I see where Chris' reasoning and logic skills have failed him. He is as narrow in his reading as he is in his overall thinking.

Here you go Chris, I will make them very little baby steps of logic for you.

We were having a discussion. I said, if a muslim wanted to find justification for his actions, he can go to the Koran and find justification. You said prove it, I posted some quotes, you bleeding heart whined and said those quotes refer to a specific context in the 7th century, I said all religions teach by parables. You go, you don't know what parable means. I go, you're an idiot. And here is where your idiocy led you astray. Follow me here.

A man wants to blow up a building. He goes to his religious leader or his Koran. The koran or his religious leader talks about a story that happened hundreds of years ago that justifies doing what the man wanted to do. The man takes the story as written in the Koran as an analogy of how he ought to behave today. The story -is-used-as-a-parable-to-sanction-what-the-man-wanted-to do. Got me now? As I said about twenty times:

There are no religious texts that tell you what to do in the twentieth century on Tuesday when faced with a certain situations. So the stories in the Bible/Koran/Whatever become the parables, the moral lessons on how to live your life. Jesus tells parables about other people. If I tell you a story about Jesus and mean you to apply it to your specific circumstances, it becomes a parable.

With me now? Is that simple enough for you?

(Message edited by Ally on July 21, 2005)

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 3:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally

I said, if a muslim wanted to find justification for his actions, he can go to the Koran and find justification. ...

As you know, you said a lot more than that.

But I'm relieved to see, from the shortness of the thread, that this kind of offensive material isn't tolerated on this site.

Obviously it was a mistake to respond to it in the first place. A private complaint to the site owner would have been more effective.

Chris Phillips

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 3:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John

Yes, by themselves the lines are not strictly parables. The Prodigal Son is a parable. The Good Samaritan is a parable. The Sermon on the Mount is not -- technically speaking.

Isn't that a bit like saying an elephant is not a hippopotamus -- technically speaking?

Chris Phillips

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 335
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 4:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

As usual with bluff and bluster you are trying to avoid the point.

You posted above:

Well, I don't know what you think about it, but the reason I intervened in this thread was some pretty sickening statements from Bob Hinton suggesting that Muslims in general were somehow sympathetic to the bombings.

I reject entirely this assertion. My original post said :

'I was wondering how long it would be before we heard ' Of course I deplore the bombings BUT'

Can you please inform us how this is 'sickening' or in anyway indicates that I believe that Muslims in general were sympathetic to the bombers cause?

You are using the well known Nazi propagandists ploy of not arguing or debating what was said but rather what you insist was said.

The reason you find yourself 'to be (almost) the only person on the boards who felt that way.' is probably because other people read what I actually said not what you wished I had said.

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 5:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob

I reject entirely this assertion.

I'm very pleased to hear it.

Chris Phillips

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 336
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 5:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

You've been hearing it for a long time - you just haven't been listening!

Ally
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 996
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 6:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Not only are you wrong on..oh, almost everything, but there is apparently another little critical error in your thinking. You said, "But I'm relieved to see, from the shortness of the thread, that this kind of offensive material isn't tolerated on this site. "

We are on the Pub Talk board, sweety. After 40 posts on any thread, the thread automatically deletes itself to make room for new posts.

Just another example of you blindly spouting off about the facts of the case without knowing what is going on.

However, if you want to dispute anything. I have a copy of every post made between now and then, so I'd be happy to prove you wrong on any claim you care to make.

Sorry you are so limited in your reasoning capacity, it hardly makes it fun to argue with you. Of course, as you had previously told me you weren't going to be drawn in to my conversational bids again, and yet, here we are, I suspect there's just no escaping you.

Love,
Ally

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 7:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

You ask me above, "Isn't that a bit like saying an elephant is not a hippopotamus -- technically speaking?"

No. Not at all. Because the law of genre is nowhere near as hermetically sealed as the law of species. Also, language has a lingering function which inevitably exceeds the generic intention. So while the Prodigal Son is in the strictest sense a parable (a story told to teach a lesson) and the Sermon on the Mount is not (it's an oration, a set of beatitudes offered as promises), both texts function, in excess of their original generic classifications, in parable-like ways AND the Sermon on the Mount is always already part of the larger metaparable that is the story of Jesus’ life, which readers are also asked to take as a story teaching them all a series of lessons (if not always in parable form).

For more on how this inevitable excess of generic boundaries works, there is an excellent essay entitled "The Law of Genre" by Jacques Derrida, Translated by Avital Ronell, which can be found in the journal Critical Inquiry, Autumn 1980, 55 - 81 and reprinted in a couple of other places including a collection of essays called Acts of Literature, edited by Derek Attridge, from Routledge Press, 1992. In the essay you'll find further explanations (and rhetorical illustrations, including the essay itself) of what the author identifies as "the law of overflowing, of excess, the law of participation without membership." It's why both Ally and you are correct and these citations are not and yet are parables.

Hey, this is fun,

--John

(Message edited by omlor on July 22, 2005)

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 8:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John

That's awfully impressive.

In fact, I think you may have proved that an elephant is a hippopotamus. After all, it can't be denied that both animals function in elephant-like ways, and - for all I know - the world world can be properly viewed as a kind of metaelephant.

But not technically speaking, though.

Chris Phillips

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 8:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Come to think of it, I strongly suspect you'd be able to prove in a similar way that Ally is Caroline Morris - but only if we could figure out what a MetaCaz would look like!

Chris Phillips

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 8:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the jokes, but I think you see the point. Generic classifications in literature are not quite as rigidly structured as they are in biology. In fact, I can think, right off the top of my head, of any number of books I've taught that could be called both novel and memoir or both essay and story, or both fiction and non-fiction, or both drama and comedy. And, as I mentioned earlier, Kafka actually had a collection of short pieces called "Parables and Paradoxes" and more than a few of the pieces in that collection prove to be both one and the other, which, technically, should be impossible. An example -- his "parable" Before the Law.

But that's another thread entirely.

Glad to be of at least a little help,

--John

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2794
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John
Thank goodness!!! I laughed for the first time here!!! (Well out of humour anyway!)

The fact that the 9.3 comment 'Announce painful punishment to those who disbelieve' is taken 'out of context' and allegedly a remark from Allah to the angels is in itself a tad worrying......Angels 'eh?

If as Ally says these are meant to be read as inspiration and guidance....God,Allah GAWD 'elp us!!!

John...'We're ALL Individuals'....................................................'I'm not!'

Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2795
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris
When you quote I reject entirely this assertion from Bob I think you'll see that you misinterpreted what he had posted and it didnt in any way come from any personally held beliefs!!

A Great shame that the 40 post rule is in effect here..it is beginning to show people in quite a different light......and as John said 'The Life of Brian' is at times becoming more relevant by the second!!!...after all...........

'All I said was that piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah!'...

Suzi

John V. Omlor
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi,

Yes, it's certainly a timely film once again.

Whenever I see GW Bush talk about "the people of Iraq" and the "insurgency," I think of Michael Palin's Pilate trying to control the locals.

The problem is I can't decide who's the Judean People's Front and who's the People's Front of Judea.

Terrorism is indeed, as Angela Lansbury once put it, a tale as old as time.

Worshipping the shoe,

--John

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 955
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,
You shoe worshippers, that's what's wrong with the world today. Bloody fetishists!

Clearly, stockings are our salvation.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Talking about Python and "The Life of Brian" it's interesting that Eric Idle pinched "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" from that film to use in the Broadway show "Spamalot" based of course mostly on "The Holy Grail." Incidentally, Donna and I saw "Spamalot" in New York in April and it's a hoot, highly recommended. Donna, a veteran Python fan, can't play the CD enough.

All my best

Chris

Spamalot

(Message edited by ChrisG on July 22, 2005)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2797
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 3:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris!!!!!!!!!

Love it love it!!!!!!!

Ally
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 997
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 7:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone else noticed that when Chris has no rational argument, he tends to rely on his own pathetic little invented "personal attacks"?

Here's something else I just noticed, when arguing with males, he takes as is, but when arguing with females, he lumps them together under one "the women who hurt me" category.

Let me simplify it for you Chris,

How Ally and Caz are the same:

Both are women that really piss you off, so as such, they are one, just like all the other women in the world that have hurt you, humiliated you, laughed at you, and reminded you over and over what a tiny little impotent man you really are.
Ally and Caz are one, because their very existence reminds you that it has been a very long time since you touched a woman, at least without one breaking into peals of hysterical laughter.
Ally and Caz are one, because when faced with a woman arguing against you, you can't treat her as a person, but rather as category, and though you no doubt rub yourself raw dreaming of ways to get back at that category, in the end, strong women will always remind you that you are a loser.

Is that about right? I thought so. Now I must go and congratulate all my sisters about the fact that once again, merely by being, we have turned an otherwise rational human into a mass of pathetic whining about how women suck.

Have a nice day.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2799
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 8:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally
(and all the rest of us in the 'lump'!!!

All I can say is 'Well said that girl!!!!'..incidently it's all gone VERY quiet hasn't it since John had the audacity to mention something that made us all laugh!!!!

In that vein if we wish to stay here girls perhaps we'd all better invest in a beard....as shown AGAIN in 'Life of Brian.........................

Are there any women here??

LOL

Suzi

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4717
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

None with a beard, Suzi.

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 6:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi,
I"m up in Wales now getting ready for the arrival of my grandchildren!They are a lot of fun,adore Jonny Depp and even like some scary bits of the ripper stuff!
My Grand daughter was a "Goth" for a bit so understands the fascination!

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2800
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 4:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nats

I understand the Johnny Depp fascination tho.......dont you???

Hope you had a great time!!!

Off to paint life sized horses for local carnival tomorrow after work!!!

Life goes on!!!

Suz xxxxxxxx

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4722
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 5:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't get the paint in the horses' eyes, Suzi.

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2241
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 6:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi
hope you enjoyed it!
Johnny Depp?Not half!!!
WE tried to watch a recent film of his tonight but it didnt work-anyway I am getting taught how to do more advanced stuff with the computer which is such a relief-though I am not there yet!
xxx

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2802
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 3:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just checking everything here!!!! Off to Spain for a fortnight on Saturday!!!...not sun and sand tho (sadly) but Granada and Seville and then Barcelona where HOPEFULLY can get some swimming in!!!!!! Get the rays tho 'eh??
will lurk till Friday and then some ghastly midnight cab to take me into the dog hrs to Gatwick!!!!

Cheers
Suzi

AFS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 3:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Women are the more sensible, feeling and attractive sex. They are mainly less arrogant, less aggressive, less boastful and more secure in themselves than men.

They usually smell better, look better and speak better than men.

Oh, and by the way, women's toilets smell a lot better than the men's.

All in all - give me a woman any day.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2244
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AFS
Well you cant include me in that definition as insecurity and anxiety have dogged my life!

-are you a toilet inspector by profession?

Suzi,
Have a great time in Spain
can just see you tapping and stamping and twirling to Flamenco -but no joining in the vocals
the non Spanish attempts usually dont come off as intended......
Nats
xxxx

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4727
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 2:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AFS

I'm in no position to verify your claim that women's toilets smell better than men's. Maybe I should be like James T Kirk and boldly go where no man has been before.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if you were right - the length of time each one spends in there would result in a far lower turnover per day.

And why oh why are they always trying to throw out our clothes, just because they're a bit old or have one or two holes?

And why when they ask you what you want for dinner, and you say "Anything," do they reply "Well, what would you like?"?

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2805
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Nats
Thanks!!!! Have spent all evening organising online booked hotel details and writing em down into a book!!! Dont trust this e stuff!!!!! Got the house full of piles of 'stuff' and its only Tuesday!!!!! Email me yr address and will postcard you!!!!

Have fun here..mind you will be on on Friday night I think ....to avoid withdrawal!!!!

Suz xxxxxxxxxx

Adrian Morris
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let the editorial in the August edition of the 'Whitechapel Society 1888 Journal' be the last word.

ADRIAN (Editor WS1888 Journal)

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2500
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 4:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adrian,
Yes,I thought it was spot on and showed it to several of my friends.I meant to tell you this at last mtg of the W Socty.
Thanks for that
Cheers
Natalie

Alan Hunt
Sergeant
Username: Mews

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 8:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

greetings!
as a offical member of the Jedi faith (see my census return)
i can only say
"May the force be with you"
A Skywalker!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.