Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Goodbye John Fiedler, 1925 - 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Goodbye John Fiedler, 1925 - 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 728
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was sorry to see that this wonderful, usually funny character actor had passed away last week. Nobody on the Board seemed to take notice - but all "Trekkies" among might recall him. In December 1967 (according to the IMDb board) Mr. Fiedler gave a memorable performance as "Mr. Hengist", a disagreeable bureaucrat who was on the scene of several murders on board the starship "Enterprise" during a peace conference.
The murders turned out to resemble the Whitechapel Murders, and it turned out that "Mr. Hengist" was Jack the Ripper. If one recalled that Fiedler was a short, bald man with eyeglasses, his being the Ripper (outside of his being such a disagreeable character in the show) was quite a surprise, but Fiedler was a terrific actor and once he is revealed he did demonstrate the demonic personality he was supposed to be.

As I said he was better recalled for his comic roles - like in THE ODD COUPLE (on stage, in the movie, and in the television version). But he could play one impressive monster.

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 624
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff,

Yes, he had a remarkable career as a character actor, splendidly handling any role thrown his way. I particularly remember him as the fearsome "Lawyer Daggett" in "True Grit." Only a very brief appearance, but the entire movie set him up as someone who would dwarf John Wayne himself in both size and machismo. Finally, we get to see this hombre --and it's John Fiedler.

As it is, I fear a lawyer with a writ a lot more than I do a thug with a gun.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 730
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,

Well, don't forget that his size didn't count. We were told several times that J. Noble Daggart brought that mighty railroad to it's knees in court. That's what counts. I can see Fiedler doing that.

Jeff

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 665
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He was also the voice of "Piglet" in the Winnie The Pooh films [Disney].

Off the top of my head,J.B or Don...didn't he play in Twelve Angry Men as one of the jurors ? Too lazy to look myself...
HowBrown

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 731
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 1:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard,

Yes, he played the mild one who calls Lee J. Cobb a loudmouth at one point.

Jeff

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.