Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

W.B.Yeats ---for Chris Scott Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » W.B.Yeats ---for Chris Scott « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 4:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris I think this is the poem written for his muse the Irish Republican sympathiser and activist, Maud Gonne.

WHEN YOU ARE OLD
When you are old and grey and full of sleep,
And nodding by the fire,take down this book,
And slowly read,and dream the soft look
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep.

How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true,
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face;

And bending down beside the glowing bars,
Murmur a little sadly,how love fled
And paced upon the mountains overhead
And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.
W.B. Yeats[1865-1939]

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 3:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's the one I meant
Thanks so much for posting that - one of my favourites!
Chris

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 4:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for letting me know its the right one Chris.
You know I guess Leanne and Richard will deplore this but sometimes its a poem that makes me think of Mary Kelly-----the fact the heroine is Irish maybe?---and had a lot of men who loved her "falsely"---but I think Joe loved her truly
and if he had had the talent could have written those last four lines himself----such is my crazy imagination!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4477
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 7:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie, one of the things I'd like to do some time, is buy the audio poetry CDs where the original poets read their work. I think Yeats, TS Eliot and Ezra Pound have done this.

Robert

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert, Natalie, et al.

I have heard the earlier poets read and their recordings are rather lifeless and mannered. I found them quite a disappointment.

Natalie, e-mail received. Thanks! I will be responding.

Here is a cinquain inspired by Maude Gonne, who was, as you noted, Natalie, W. B. Yeats's muse--

I'm Gonne,
Maud Gonne to you!
Billy Butler Yeats wrote
of me, I inspired him: Aye, I
a-mused.

Christopher T. George

(Message edited by chrisg on June 01, 2005)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4480
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 1:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh well, Chris, at least Betjeman's worth listening to, with the lovely musical accompaniment too.

Dear Maudie, when you're old and grey
I hope that you will pardon
My impudence, if I should say
'Keep out of Tennyson's garden.'

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 2:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There must have been a heck of a lot of nonsense going on in those days when you think of it--
what with Golden Dawns and faeries and the completely unavailable and married Maud...still a fabulous poet!
......and come to think of it not much different
from Betjeman"s drooling over the one time out of reach and equally unavailable "Miss Joan Hunter Dunne" in her tennis shorts!
Love your spoofs Robert and Chris!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4481
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie, I have one of the TV programmes on tape (sadly only one) that had Betjeman reading his poems to Jim Parker's music, and accompanied by film pieces. Peter Cook's in one of them (a poem about golf) and Eric Morecambe was the 'funny uncle' in "Indoor Games Near Newbury."

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 3:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds a real treat Robert!
Would love to see some of those.
..and that was another of my favourite shows-Morecambe and Wise just brilliant.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4483
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 3:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, great comics. Of course, they had to learn it all the hard way. And they had to succeed, because (as I think Eric Morecambe once said) if he hadn't been a comic, he'd have been an engine driver like his dad. Nowadays I suppose the penalty for failure is to end up presenting a moronic game show.

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few still left no?Paul Merton,Rorrie Bremner
several of the women but its true that none of them have that kind of fun for fun sake double act stuff that had you splitting your sides laughing---well Dame Edna can still give a side splitting show!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4485
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like Paul Merton very much. With Dame Edna, I prefer Sir Les Patterson, Australian Cultural Attache. Mr Bean I like.

I'm not too au fait with modern comics. As far as women are concerned though, you've got Joyce Grenfell, Hattie Jacques etc from "yesteryear" as Eric Morecambe would put it.

I've never understood the ban on mother-in-law jokes. The women in the audience laugh and are flattered because it shows they're giving their sons-in-law a hard time - which is what mothers-in-law are for!

I have to go off for a bit, Natalie, because I can hear the Thought Police arriving outside my house.

Robert

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 5:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I went to the same school (in Hammersmith) as W.B.Yeats and Hattie Jacques, believe it or not! Wish some of their talent had rubbed off on me.

Domestic goddess Nigella Lawson was there too (it's getting worse!!) and also Davina McCall.

Love,

Mrs Hammersmith
X

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 8:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz,
Well now for a big "name-dropping" session eh!
So did my husband!I think he is six years older than you and anyway as you may know in the sixties Latymer Upper School was boys only and Godolphin was the Girls section next door!
Yes despite being from a working class and strong labour party background
he won a scholarship there. It was then a very liberal arty place which had a strong influence on him.
Anyway at that time he was a classmate of Tommy Cooper"s son[he thinks Tommy was a genius]-and Alan Rickman was there at that time [same age] and ten years later Hugh Grant!
Its all private now so today he wouldnt have had the chance.
Anyway my own daughter went to an ordinary comprehensive and got to University OK.So myself I am all for the comprehensive system-if only because half the really gifted people I knew as a girl went to Secondary Modern Schools having failed the ridiculous 11 plus!
Nats
xxxx

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 8:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Nats,

My brothers also went to Latymer Upper, but it isn't next door to Godolphin & Latymer, which I attended from 1965, but in a different part of Hammersmith. They are two separate schools. Yeats went to Godolphin before it became a girls' school in the early part of the 20th century.

Both were free grammar schools when we were there. I cursed my parents because I had to take two tube trains from the age of eleven, to get to school. But the local girls' comp was known as 'The Home for Unmarried Mothers', and mum thought Putney High was too snooty, so that was that.

I seem to recall former MP Shirley Williams was criticised for sending her daughter to Godolphin after it changed to an independent fee-paying school.

With motivation, basic intelligence and a supportive family, and especially if a child is gifted, they will probably achieve anywhere. And private schools which go by the parents' income rather than entrance exams will always churn out plenty of Tim Nice-But-Dim types.

But it's not an easy choice for parents, and a bad school can be disastrous for kids who are not self-motivated, however naturally bright they might be. In our area, the state schools have a very poor record and the independent ones are mostly excellent. It's a gamble if parents save on school fees but take their kids to the local state school in a new Merc.

Hope to see you tonight.

Love,

Caz
X

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2543
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 9:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi chaps!

There IS a WB Yeats reading somewhere MUST find it and let you know....Still think the Dylan Thomas reading of Milk Wood takes some beating!

Have a good time tonight 'eh and one or seven for me!!!!

Love

Suzi xx

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 9:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz and Suzi,
Have just checked this out with Andy and he said he left in 1966-a year after you started!He tried to place your name but couldnt because of the age gap probably.

Interestingly its the same story of tubes and buses from eleven years of age---but I know he has very happy memories of the place.

Interesting too Suzi,that you mention Dylan Thomas because Andy had a lead part in a Latymer production of" Under Milk Wood"[circa 1965/6] and Andrew Cruikshank,the actor,whose son was at the school
offered him a part in a professional production
as a result-but his mum refused and insisted he went on to University.....

Anyway thanks for the link Suzi-wish you were going tonight---hope you are now much better!

Nats
xxxx

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4499
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are two links for an interview and a reading.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/audiointerviews/profilepages/yeatsw1.shtml
http://encarta.msn.com/media_461543345/W_B_Yeats_Reading.html

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2550
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brilliant Robert!!!! Will have a look later am getting myself tied up in pc knots here trying to post my latest madness on the Artwork thread!!
ek

Suzixxxx

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.