Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Hi from the Basque Country (newcomer)... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Hi from the Basque Country (newcomer) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Inaki Kamiruaga
Police Constable
Username: Inaki

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 6:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings all!
I just received my registration today so I thought I had to go ahead and introduce myself. My name's is Iņaki Kamiruaga (Basque version) or J.Ignacio Camiruaga (Spanish version), although everybody calls me Iņaki (or Inaki if your keyboard doesn't contain funny symbols like Ņ).

Although this is the first time I post here, I've been a longtime lurker. In fact, the Casebook has been one of my favourite sites on the Internet since I found it some years ago.

I first became interested in the Ripper when I was 6 or 7 y.o (yes, 6 or 7 y.o.! It's no typo). That happened after watching a black & white movie and hearing my mother tell some sketchy details about the murders. The thing is that all that sparked my interest for the Ripper. I remember how I used to theorize that JTR could still be alive. It was the beginning of 1970 and my reasoning was that if the killer had been born around 1870 (i.e he was 18 y.o when the murders happened) he would be around 102 y.o., and although not many people reached that age there still were quite a few who made it...

It wasn't logical, I know, but after all it was a child's mind reasoning (and fantasy). From then on, I've always had a fascination with Whitechapel and all the drama that took place in 1888. When I was a child and later as a teenager I had to make do with the few news clippings I could get hold of. They were sparse because I could read no english at all and the information had to be in spanish. As you can imagine, there wasn't much information in that language.

But things changed. I learned english and a new field opened before me. I bought several books on the subject, visited Whitechapel, visited the Casebook, subscribed to Ripperologist, stayed up-to-date on any theory, etc, So, after all that, I think I can humbly say that I'm no novice on the subject.

Well, sorry for the spiel but as this is Pub Talk I thought you'd be in the mood for one of those "boring tales" told over a glass of beer...
Seriously, I just felt like telling my background. :-)

Well, I hope to enjoy good debates about this Victorian Mistery.
Best,
Iņaki

(Message edited by Inaki on May 21, 2005)
"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3451
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 6:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome, Iņaki!
(see, the symbol...)

Enjoy the Boards and nice to have you with us.

All the best
G. Andersson, author/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Jane Coram
Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 431
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 7:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI Inaki,

I don't have the symbol, so you will have to put up with being Inaki, I'm afraid. Welcome to the boards and enjoy. You certainly deserve full marks for your persistence in researching the case in the face of great adversity and language barriers!

Lots of love

Jane

xxxxxx

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 411
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 7:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Inaki,

Sorry.. I also don't have the tilda symbol on my keyboard, but I want to extend a very warm welcome to you! I look forward to hearing more from you.

I live in New Mexico, so really should have a tilda on my keyboard! Spanish is the main language here in Socorro. I am one of the few Anglos here, and English toboot.. although born and raised for five years in Caracas Venezuela - but, even though Spanish was my first language, I confess that I have forgotten most of it.

Anyway, a very warm welcome to you (and a warm beer.. it's 101 degrees today)

Love,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3244
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 8:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Iņaki,

Ongi etorri! Good to have you aboard.

Stephen

Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Iņaki,

Welcome to Casebook. Coming from your part of the world, I thought you might have some appreciation for the following poem of mine--

Blue Iris

Spring in Estremadura:
the blue lips of the Virgin

the blue iris by the stream
in the birth-village of
Conquistador Pizarro.

During the Civil War,
the child suckling

the mother's
shrunken breast.

Christopher T. George

Blue Iris

Image copyright Marjolijn Lopes Cardoza
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Carolyn
Detective Sergeant
Username: Carolyn

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 2:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Inaki,

Looking forward to "meeting" you.

Cheers,
Carolyn

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2518
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 6:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Inaki,
Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,
You'll have a LOT of fun here Im sure!! Dont be afraid to have your say and keep your sense of humour!!!!...then you'll be in great company!!!

WARM beer??.....who cares!....it's beer!!!

LOL
Enjoy!
Suzi x

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 534
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 6:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Inaki (I have the symbol but don't know how to use it!)

What a great first post. Your English and spelling is almost perfect! I take my hat off to you!

I was thinking - there is a whole huge very old Spanish book on Jack The Ripper that Spry has wanted translated into English for some time. It is somewhere on this website. Maybe you could contact him? You would have our undying gratitude forever!

Best wishes and welcome!

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 1:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Iņaki,

In reference to Philip's last post, "Spry" = Stephen Ryder in case you did not understand.

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Inaki Kamiruaga
Police Constable

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 4:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for your kind welcome!

Yes Glenn, I noticed the symbol. That's the way I like it! I know you've been a prolific contributor so I guess we'll have many chances to "meet" somewhere and express our views.

Thanks Jane for your words. I don't mind to be called Inaki.

Hola Lindsey! What a pity your Spanish is so rusty! But, you are right. You must be immersed in the language if you want to keep it alive. Anyway, don't give up!

Eskerrik asko (Thanks a lot), Stephen! I see that you know a little about the Basque Language (probably the oldest language in Europe).

Thanks Christopher! I appreciate your poem. Have you ever been to Extremadura? It's very far from where I live and I'd like to visit it.

Thanks Carolyn! I'm looking forward to "meeting" you too!

Thanks Suzi! Sense of humor is one of the most important things in life. As someone said, "Humor can help you to disagree without being disagreeable."

Thanks George for your welcome and your kind words! But, you can leave your hat on and strip... sorry, my mind was somewhere else. I'll contact Spry about the book! But, I can't promise anything...
Best,
Iņaki

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

"Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out" - Feynman

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2524
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 4:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G O S H !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! personalised thanks!!!!!!

Thanks Inaki!!!!!!!!!!!

Right off you go onto the 'serious'boards....Dive in!!!!!!..............
you'll have a great time I assure you!!!

Have fun !!

Suzi

And yes you're right you HAVE to laugh!!!:-)

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2459
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh i managed to miss this.

der me!!

Welcome anyway!

Jenni
"Stay away from that trap door,
Cos' there's somethin' down there"

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 536
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 9:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni - is your new signature a lyric or a statement from the other Spice Girls when Geri disappeared?

Inaki (dammit, how do I use my squiggly wotsit?!) - only dive into the serious threads if you feel serious! I hope all the posters are nice to you!

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2461
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 5:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,

no it isn't but interesting guess.

Jenni
"Stay away from that trap door,
Cos' there's somethin' down there"

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2526
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 6:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Inaki-
Yep how DO you get to use the squiggly bit???? Oh yeah is it this ~ thingy above the #?

Suzi

Inaki Kamiruaga
Police Constable

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 6:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jenni for your welcome, too!

Yes, I'm really looking forward to diving into the serious threads, but as I'm very busy at the moment, I'd rather wait a few days till I have my things done. But, you can bet I feel serious!

Philip, I've already emailed Spry about the book.
Best,
Iņaki

"Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out" - Feynman

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.