Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

New Monday nite chat! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » New Monday nite chat! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3161
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 9:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brad,

I really don't know if a chat works quite like that. Quite often things go off topic, whether one likes it or not and it has the tendency to go its own way. It is a built-in effect.
Of course, efforts to stay reasonable on topic should be made, but to have precise rules like that is a somewhat high strung ambition.
Not to be offensive in any way, but when did you become moderator?

A chat must have structure in order not to turn into complete chaos -- which happened last week -- but to think that it can be run by precise rules and laws at all times is naive and a sign of facism that I don't approve of on an open chat. An open chat should be fun and social as well (as long as it don't get completely off topic and things don't turn nasty!) -- after all, we have the Boards already, if we want dead serious JtR debates.
You can try and direct a chat in the intellectual direction you want, Brad, and hand out punishments when someone breaks "your" rules, but in my experience, that might work for maybe fifteen minutes, then it'll all go to pieces. Unfortunately it WILL go off topic now and then, and -- in my experinece -- it will be unavoidable; therefore it is important that all chat attendants work together in order to keep things on topic and to keep things from getting out of order. To have very precise rules on a discussion Board is one thing, but rules like that never work when you have several people attending a chat, speaking simultaneously.

As Hutchinson says, a group of us had a very fun chat last night elsewhere, and it contained loads of JtR stuff and had a friendly, relaxed atmosphere -- without exaggerated rules and punishments.
If people in a chat room don't work together in order keep it civil, then rules won't help either. A chat should be fun and friendly, not a court room.

As for the incidents last week (although I missed out on some of it), that is history and over and done with, as far as I am concerned. Hopefully it taught us all something for future visits in the chat room. So, please lighten up everybody.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

(Message edited by Glenna on February 22, 2005)
The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

can we not just get over it?

Jenni

(though i guess really it's nothing to do with me!)
"Pick up the pieces and make them into something new, Is what we do!"

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn, Brad, Philip, Lyn, Jen

I wasn't at last week's chat but I do endorse Glenn's call for civility, and to put last week behind us. There could be no chat room except with cooperation and polite behavior.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 319
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 3:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I thought the chat last night went very well. Both Brad and Vila did a good job of moderating. When one guest became a little offensive, although I wasn't there at the time, I'm told that this guest was first warned, and then booted for a period.

We did actually discuss Jack the Ripper suspects for a time, and then we had open chat where we enjoyed good humour.

I had hoped that the events of last weeks chat had become history - I made a personal apology to all concerned, both here on the message boards, and through e-mail. Everyone that I contacted told me not to worry, that it was all water under the bridge. I had hoped that everyone could remain friends. It is my wish that we all do so.

I can't be more sorry than I am at the moment that something I did (in silliness - though understandably offensive to some) has caused division among Casebookers. I'd just like to say for the record that I do understand Philip's stand on his personal reasons for what he considers to be offensive, but I also understand where Brad is coming from. (I'm torn between the both of you, guys!)

Again, I think that both Brad and Vila did a fine job of moderating last night, and have every faith in them that they will continue to do so.

I'd personally like to put last weeks chat behind me..

Best,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Brad McGinnis
Inspector
Username: Brad

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone!
I hope Philip and I can work out any difficulties between us. I have emailed him to that effect as personal disagreements are to be done via email and not clog the boards as per Case Book policy.
Glenn I realize you are a newbie and werent here for the old chats.Let me give you a sumation of the "good old days". The chatroom was originaly Tims. Tim was very good and had a huge catalog of topics. About 4 years ago Tim would ask either Vila or me to pinch hit on those Tuesday nites he couldnt make it. When Tim left the duties of moderator fell to Vila and me. About 2 years ago I took a job that requires me to work most Tuesday nites. Vila works a swing shift, so he cant always be here either. This is why we tried to revive it on Mondays. Now as to your concern that we cant stay on topic for more than 15 minutes.....no worries. The chatters are informed and intelligent people and have no problem with this. Some chats have stayed on topic for hours. Im sure some old time chatters like Ally, Lyn, and ChrisG can vouch to this. We generally stay on the topic until everyone has decided it has been covered as well as possible. Its then we have open chat. Now as far as "My rules"....they are stay on topic and no obscenities during structured chat. I also will not tolerate anyone being offensive or antagonizing fellow chatters. I am very hesitant to kick anyone and have NEVER pulled the trigger on anyone without the urging of the other chatters. I hardly consider this unreasonable or Facist.
The topic of next Mondays structured chat will be the nautical connections to JTR. As always everyone is welcome. Chat begins at 8PM est. Hope to see everyone there....Brad

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 258
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 7:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Huh ? I went to that channel 6667[ on one of the IRC servers] to the JTRChatroom and one person showed up and then left...So you guys had a chat after all..I'll be. Where did I go wrong?

Dumb in Pa.

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 847
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 7:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it's channel 7000. It says 6667 on the pop-up window, and I know that has thrown off many people, but I don't think that is the actual channel. Try just going into the Java chat, if you can. If not, email Dan..I think he uses IRC and can tell you the real channel.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn!

I have a used hair shirt here if you would like it. It is in Pompey's colors because it used to belong to an Evertonian... Seriously, dear, let's get on with life, and good luck to you in the new program you have started. I loves ya. There is one and only one Lyn aka Lindsey. wink

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 2:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

I have a used hair shirt here if you would like it. It is in Pompey's colors because it used to belong to an Evertonian...

Belonged to an Evertonian, eh..! Guess I could live with that

Any more poetry to throw in with it?

Thanks for the words of support and encouragement, Chris. Very much appreciated - as is all the encouragement from many, many others on the boards.

Love ya,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Dan L. Hollifield
Sergeant
Username: Vila

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

6667 and 7000 are port numbers on the chat network servers. Chat channel names always begin with # like #JTRChatroom does. If you type 6667 into the chanel name box, you'll create your own private channel named #6667 that no one knows about but you. LOL!!!
I don't use the Java chat applet on the Casebook website, but I do know the settings for connecting to it. And I know a fair amount about the mIRC chat program. If I can help in any way, don't hesitate to ask.
Dan

Brad McGinnis
Inspector

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yo How! Hey its so easy to get to chat even someone from Pa. can do it. All you need to do is go to CaseBook and click on "Games and Diversions"
on the left side of the graphic. If you do that even a popup blocker wont keep you out. Our topic this Monday will be about the leads that may indicate our boy was a sailor. I expect we will be talking about Arby La Bruckman, Malay, Alascar, and my favorite John Anderson. Chat starts at 8 PM est. If you decide to come, please bring cheese steaks for everyone. See ya...Brad.

D. Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The chat room is very clicquey. Whenever anyone says something that is perceived to challenge the curent power structure, people use the "private message" feature to gossip behind his or her back and get them kicked off. This is then duly reported through channels, just as if there really was a good objective reason for the action, and the person gets into even more trouble. I wish I were a member of the accepted chat room power group. I have things of interest to say about Ripperology.

Brad McGinnis
Inspector

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Everyone! Monday night we will try to have our first structured chat in a long time. The topic will be "Popeye the Ripper Man" or connections between JTR and sailors. Alot of ink has been put down about our boy being a sailor. I must say that both LaBruckman and Anderson are candidates worth exploring. I think most of the material on these two are on the old CaseBook CD so it would be nice if once again we could explore them at the New CB. Chat will start at 8PM est. After everyone feels we've done it to death, we'll turn to open chat. I extend an invitation to everyone to come out and join in!
Hope to see you there!...Brad

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 2:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brad or Vila or anyone really...

Is it absolutely necessary to connect with Irc.usachat.net or can one connect to ports 6667 and/or 7000 with a different server to hook up with the chatroom ?

I can't believe how much difficulty I am having with this procedure. A month ago I was on there like white on rice and chatting with Tommy Shachner,but now for some reason its a pain in the butt.

So if anyone knows and has the time,please let me know if I could "get in" the chatroom,without Java,as my Java ain't jiving anymore, and without using the irc.usachat.net.

Thank You

Mr.Computer-Challenged in Pa.

(Message edited by howard on February 27, 2005)

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2151
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard
I get a prob too.......reckon its censorship..... The best way Ive found is to go to joing the Char Room thing and keep everything crossed......you maY find yourself called casebook too which is a pain but hey! keep trying eh?
Suzi

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 8:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No Suzi...My Java won't work . Thats why I was asking about the regular IRC setup. I appreciate the boost.

The theme for this Monday sounds pretty good...looking forward to attending.
How Brown
JTRForums
www.jtrforums.co.uk

Brad McGinnis
Inspector

Post Number: 226
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 8:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey How! I cant imagine why the link at Case Book cant take you to chat. Do you have popup blockers?
What Windows are you running? There is another chat service much like mIRC called pirch. You may want to do a search using "pirch" as a keyword and find the download that suits you best. Hope you make it! Brad

Brad McGinnis
Inspector

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 5:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Everyone. We will be trying to have a chat tonight. Our topic will be JTR and the connections to his possibly being a sailor. Chat will be at 8 est. The easiest way to get there is to go to the "Games and Diversions" section of CaseBook and click on to the chatroom. Hope to see you all there!

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 9:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I work on Monday nights but I'll be done with that in a couple of weeks. I hope we can revisit that subject (sailors) as I'd like to hear what others think,especially about LaBruckman.

Looking forward to chatting some time in the future. Probably should practice typing before then!

Mags

Mags

Brad McGinnis
Inspector

Post Number: 229
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone! We're going to try and have a chat tonight on the BTK killer. Im sure we'll be discussing other whackos as well. Chat should begin about 8 est. As always everyone is welcome, see you there!

Brad McGinnis
Inspector

Post Number: 231
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Gang! Hard to believe a week has passed, but it will soon be time for another Monday nite chat. It looks like the Monday chats are working out well and we get new chatters each week. This Monday we will be doing "the Good, the Bad and the Ugly". No not the Eastwood spaghetti western, JTR books and authors. Whats the book that got you interested? Whos your favorite JTR author? Who really sucks?
As always everyone is welcome, so come on down, voice your opinion and maybe make some new friends! Chat will begin at 8 est. hope to see you all there! Brad

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 5:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Brad,

Will be there - knackered, but will be there!

Looking forward to talking about my fave Ripper books and authors. And will try to stay on topic!

Love,

Lyn

Dan L. Hollifield
Sergeant

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I keep forgetting the switch from Tuesdays to Mondays. I wish there was an e-mail notice. LOL! Like someone's got the spare time to do that every week.
I'll try harder to make the adjustment.
Vila

Brad McGinnis
Inspector

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All! No topic for Monday and because of the holidays I got roped into working Monday Nite. (along with Tue, Wed And Thursday). Hopefully Vila will be available to moderate or Thomas if you read this... The topic for the following Monday will be RipCons..either the British this year, next year in Baltimore, or RipCons past. Everyone OK with this?

thomas schachner
Detective Sergeant
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 8:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi brad,

yep..i read you! .-)

topic in the channel is changed...

greetings from germany
thomas.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 5:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I will see if I can stop by tonight.

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Dan L. Hollifield
Sergeant

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 1:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At 7:58 I remembered that it was chat night, and quickly teleported into the channel. Good chat, ten or twelve people in all, even if some folks left early or came in late. There were some short discussions of JTR suspects- I thought I counted three different conversations going on at the same time, once -but most of the rest of the serious discussion time was spent on Ripperology & Ripperologists. I can't tell you what we concluded, you had to have been there. :D
Looking forward to next week, when the topic will be Ripper Conventions.
Dan H.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 3:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan

Sorry I could not make it last night but will make a note to stop by next week.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 4:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey all! whats the time to get in from Blighty??? Am off to Wales over Easter but am back on Monday so will set the alarm clock maybe!!!!

Suzixxxx

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 6:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi

Dan or Brad can correct me, but chat starting time and also time for the maximum users in the room is usually 9:00 PM Eastern US time which would be 2:00 AM your time. However, you might find people in the room, say, from 5:00 PM our time (11:00 PM yours) onward. Hope this helps, Suzi. Look forward to seeing you there.

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Brad McGinnis
Inspector

Post Number: 242
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 9:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All, sorry I havent been around much to keep the thread going, but work, life, and the usual has kept me busy. Chat is at 8 est or for those across the pond 1 AM GMT. This week we will be discussing RipCons, past present and future. This ought to be a lively chat and everyone is very welcome as always. Im sorry to hear Lyn cant make RipCon 06 but Im sure she'll be at chat. Hope Suzi can make chat too now that she has saved the Wales. Next weeks chat will be Wales and dolphins....was the Ripper a cetation?
Just kidding...see everyone there..Brad

D. Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 9:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chat room users are requested to post nude photographs of themselves prior to entering. Join us next week for some fun!

Dan L. Hollifield
Sergeant

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm afraid that nude photos of me have been banned by the SALT IV treaty. The US agreed not to post anything online that would tend to excite women worldwide into fomenting a popular uprising. I'm sorry to announce that nude photos of myself, Brad, Dave Yost, Howard Brown, and Snark are thereby prohibited by international treaties.
Sorry girls. You'll have to wait for RipCon '06 to and see us in the flesh.
(What there is of it. LOL! I'm sad to relate that I've lost over 25 pounds over the last few months. Not dieting, just lost interest in food. On a more positive note, I feel better than ever & I've begun taking better care of myself & have regained my appetite.)
Vila

Brad McGinnis
Inspector

Post Number: 243
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 8:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Dan, but that only applies to the SALT agreement. As a person involved in agriculture, horticulture and medicine, a number of nude photos of me are in circulation. The USDA has conducted studies and those granneries and silos that have displayed nude photos of me have reported a significant reduction in rat populations. Also in operating rooms medical people have reported an exit of germs in those areas that have displayed my nude photos. One Doctor said "Yeah, his pic scares the germs away, but if the patient sees it we may lose them." Oh well, the things I do to help humanity...Brad

thomas schachner
Detective Sergeant
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 8:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry everybody, but my internet connection died on me last night - everytime i wanted to get back in, it kicked me again.
didn't want to be rude to leave during the conversation though but it wasn't my fault .-))

greetings from germany
thomas.

(Message edited by thomas on April 19, 2005)

D. M. R.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 9:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have repeatedly been refused admission to the chat room. Can anyone tell me why? I get a message that says "No Ident Response." What does this mean? Please explain exactly how and when I may chat again. Thank you.

If anyone can get me into the chat room, I will provide him or her a FREE nude photograph of Lars "Lipski" Andersson as a reward.

D. M. R.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 7:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS--This photo has got "L-A-R-S" stylistically written across Andersson's beefy pectorals in red lipstick by Agnetha Fältskog.

Ally
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 6:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chat tonite? I spent the weekend moving and need to catch up on the gossip!

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2264
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally,
Did your dogs take to the new place?If so do they like it?
Natalie

Ally
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh the dogs are in doggie heaven. They have spent the weekend barking at squirrels, deer, each other and today they went swimming in the lake until they were too tired to dog paddle.

Of course they are happy. They don't have to unpack anything the lazy wretches.

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3833
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 6:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Radka,

Although my name is still not 'Lars'...
I may have many skeletons in my closet, but to my knowledge no nude photos exists of yours truly. Believe me, I wouldn't want to put others through that ordeal, and I wonder if any receiver would see it as a 'reward'.

You've been conned on eBay again.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on August 01, 2005)
G. Andersson, writer/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 4:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well it sounds divine-no wonder they are so happy!
I was looking at some photos the other day of one of our much missed dogs.He is sitting in the sun looking entirely exhausted, panting away,eyes glazed ,coat covered in water and mud-having dipped himself in the forbidden duck pond because he had got too hot-and then ofcourse he had got totally carried away [...well that was his excuse] on seeing the all the ducks starting up a massive screeching and flapping chorus!They say every dog has his day........

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 607
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 5:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally I would much sooner receive a nude photo of Sir Robert Anderson.

Ooh, he was such a tease with those 'come to bed' eyes...

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 9:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh Duckie-...and d"ya think
our Alan will back this up by belting out ,"You Sexy Thing" when he gives his talk on Sir Robert on Saturday?

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 608
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 2:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nats - why do I suddenly have this perfect image of Terry Gilliam animation?

Alan - the challenge is laid before you. We want naked photos of Sir Robert Anderson on Saturday.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Dan L. Hollifield
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 1:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been told that the Casebook chat link crashes a lot, so I looked up a few things. It turns out that people who use the Mozilla suite for their web browser already have a chat program thay can use. They just have to click on it and set it up.

These are the commands to join the Ripper chats using the ChatZilla client built into the Mozilla web browser. I don't know that your browser looks like, but this info is current for the one I use. Sorry if I'm way off base on anything.
At the bottom left of your Mozilla window should be 5 little icons for the different sections of the suite. Click the cZ icon and fill out the nickname information, and then type these commands in the box where you would normally type out your text for chating:

/attach rma.va.us.irctoo.net 6667

It takes a long time, but the Ident Response thing has to run it's course before you can get connedted. Then once you get connected you type:

/ns identify ADD_YOUR_PASSWORD_HERE

Obviously you have to type in your own password to identify your nickname. I don't think anyone would seriously believe ADD_YOUR_PASSWORD_HERE would be a real password. OK, once you've gotten to the server and idintified your nickname, you type:

/join #JTRChatroom

And you're in, just like using the link from the Casebook website, but crashes less.
I hope this helps,
Dan

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2982
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 4:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gosh Dan
Thats a tad technical!!!!!

Sure it's right though!!!!!

Trouble is here in Blighty you have to join the Chat Room about midnight !!When what remains of your wits have taken 'emselves off to bed!!!!!!

Take care of that Lyn you!!! He He :-)

Suz

Nicholas Smith
Detective Sergeant
Username: Diddles

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah guys, remember us Poms ahve to be up at 12 to talk to you guys and god help the Aussies.

So how about we have two time slots - one for the Poms and one for the the Yanks. And either mob are invited to both?

Jules

Dan L. Hollifield
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, How about a PomChat on Thursdays? Maybe you can even get Thomas to show up. Go for it!
Dan

Nicholas Smith
Detective Sergeant
Username: Diddles

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds pretty good to me. I reckon us Poms will beat you Yanks to Jack chat anytime (Big smile), so let's give it a go eh?

I'll even put my hand up for Moderator - although I've still got to work out hoow to become one lol.

Jules

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2988
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 4:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You just TYPE LOUDER than everyone else!!!!!!!!

LOL

Suzi

Barnaby
Police Constable
Username: Barnaby

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm new here and can't wait to check out the chat room. Is Monday night the only time people use it? I see that it starts at 8 pm. Are there any night owls on late (e.g., after Monday Night Football )?

John Hacker
Inspector
Username: Jhacker

Post Number: 322
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hiya Barnaby,

There are often folks in there at all sort of odd hours. Drop in at any time, someone might be kicking around.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.