Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

We All Need To Get Out More Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » We All Need To Get Out More « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nina Thomas
Inspector
Username: Nina

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 8:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

We got 12" of snow between yesterday and today. Sure could use your help.

Nina

Nina Thomas
Inspector

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 8:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn,

Will be making you a snowman tomorrow! I'll post it when it's done. Actually I could build a whole family of snow people with the 12" we got. Would need a little help though!

Nina

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 2:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nina,

I'm touched!

The snowman that I made for you has sadly thawed... the big melt has set in, and now we just have water everywhere. Had to wade through several inches to get to the supermarket yesterday.

Looking forward to pics of "my" snowman! Don't forget to add a knife and top hat!

Love,

Lyn

Nina Thomas
Inspector

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 3:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn,

I just finished your snowman. I hope you can make it out, there is just so much snow here and everything is white.
I don't have a top hat and I think if I tied a knife onto his arm it might have fallen off along with his arm.

Snowman

Love,
Nina

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nina,
I'm guessing, um...slice of pickle for the mouth?
-K

"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 5:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GREAT STUFF!!!! altogether now.......Frosty......................... the snowmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!
Suzi xxxxxxxxxxx

Nina Thomas
Inspector

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 6:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kelly,

Woman you have good eyes! Yes it's a dill pickle for his mouth, sweet pickles for his eyes, and a pinecone for his mouth.

Nina

Nina Thomas
Inspector

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 6:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi,

If you continue with your song you will realize that Frosty came to life when his hat was placed on his head. I'm sure glad I didn't have a hat for him. I don't think I could sanely handle a snowman dancing around. Although it would make a great video.

Nina

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 7:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nina,

I am truly touched!

Love the use of pickles.. wouldn't have thought that for myself!

Don't worry about the top hat and knife.. it's wonderful as it is.

Bestest,

Lyn

P.S. Speaking of knives.. my very favourite Christmas present was from my son, then aged six, a rubber knife "to go with my Ripper collection".
He's now 14, and this year gave me a $10 bill. "To be used wisely" he said... eBay here I come!

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a bright idea, I was going to post it on this site, but then I forgot it. All I'm left with is....

lightbulb

Bright, aren't I?

laugh

(Message edited by ChrisG on December 28, 2004)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Nina Thomas
Inspector

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 7:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn,

The pickles are now gone, I guess my cats couldn't resist them. At least I got the photo before the attack.

Hope you get a great deal on Ebay.

Nina

Nina Thomas
Inspector

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 7:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

You may have forgotten your bright idea but you have brightened up this sight.

Nina

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 2:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Nina...

This one's for Lyn.

Ahh, Bisto!

Redbridge stands by the dock on a wooden crate
that proclaims, Ahh, Bisto! Use Bisto Gravy.
As a child, he’d dreamed of being a Bisto Kid
who’d convert the world to the wonders of Bisto.
His daughter Molly hands out pamphlets to all
who’ll accept one. He must get the Word out
before the midday sun burns the pedestrians
from the streets. Meanwhile, villagers hustle
to market, tidy away their Saturday chores.
He received the Word from the mouth of Jesus,
he honors the Lord’s Word, swishes it round
his tongue as he regales all who’ll listen,
to assure them how good the Word tastes:
an elixir for the world’s ills. He yells
parables to passersby. The fishermen mend
their nets; he’s a fisher of men. Ahh, Bisto!

Christopher T. George
http://chrisgeorge.netpublish.net/index.htm

Bisto
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 1:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgh Christo!

Were all showing the old age here a tad!

he he
Suzi

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 692
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 7:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am posting this for no other reason than that I have just spent about 4 hours having to force myself to stop being a technophobe and take a crash course in figuring out how to clean my computer of some strange bug spybot worm thingy that had gotten into it, have downloaded countless diagnostic and cleaning programs and learned how to put my computer into "safe mode" (I had no idea it did that!) and now I have a nice clean computer that runs about twice as fast as it used to but I have lost all my cookies and this site is throwing up ads all over the place, which will stop once I have posted something because the cookie will come back, so hence here I am posting.

Yup, I definitely need to get out more.
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 9:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alan

Indeed surfing the web or just being on the web at all leaves us open to picking up Spyware, so a good clean out is periodically necessary. I use the program NoAdware available from NoAdware.net to give my system a clean out to root out those nasty parasites. Others may be able to recommend other programs and possibly you have a better one...

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Nina Thomas
Inspector

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 9:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alan,

Keeping my computer clean is a daily ritual and it only takes a short time to complete.

1. I use Ultra WinCleaner One Click
2. Ad Aware
3. Spyware Doctor
These three are available at http://www.download.com/
I believe that Ad Aware is a free program and the others give you a trial period to test them.
I also use a virus scan and firewall.
Hope this helps!

Nina

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 654
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 9:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alan, Chris, Nina

Alan, sounds like you've got a good handle on the technical stuff since you were able to get rid of your problem by yourself. I've found that if you keep your Operating System, anti-virus, and firewall updated, you should be in good shape. I scan for viruses once a week.

On top of that, I also use a couple of free programs. Ad-Aware(lavasoft.de) is useful for clearing junk off your computer. Also, since so many bugs are aimed at exploits in Internet Explorer, I've been using Mozilla's Firefox browser, which you can get at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ I've noticed that Firefox blocks a lot of adware, too.

Cheers,
Dave

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 693
Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 3:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indeed, Ad-Aware is one of the programs I now have, together with SpyBot Search and Destroy. I went to some techie sites and these were the ones they recommended. I also have Norton Anti-Virus and McAfee Firewall running, however this nasty little worm had buried itself too deep for any of these to do any good, so the advice was to download something called HijackThis, start the computer in safe mode and run this program which would tell me every process the computer was running in the background, look down the list for anything that didn't belong and delete it (in ordinary mode these things don't allow you to delete them but in safe mode they do), then restart the system in ordinary mode, run all the Adware programs again to get rid of anything hanging around, then download and run something called CCleaner which just blasts everything which might be remotely dodgy off your system, but as said also gets rid of all your cookies so you have to remember all your passwords and re-enter them on any sites you use regularly.

All pretty impressive stuff for a technophobe luddite, huh?
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Nina Thomas
Inspector

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 1:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alan,

Very impressive indeed!

Nina

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2251
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 5:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey there Nina...!You still around?
Whose door do I knock on to see if you"re able to come out to play?
Your Friend
Nats
x

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2729
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Exactly,

good point Nats
Girl power!!

Jenni

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2253
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thing is Jenny I was wondering if Nina had become some sort of "locked up" Damsel in distress---sort of Rapunzel like---and whether we ought to be thinking of a "rescue operation" perhaps?

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2732
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now you should go look on the female historians thread because i think it was there i was talking with How about it!

Nina Thomas
Inspector

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 2:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nats, Jenni,

I just awoke from the strangest dream. There was this rabbit ...
rabbit

Nina

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2818
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 4:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nina!!! Just downloaded one of those as am going to be sadly away from this for two weeks!!!!!! LOVE the pic!!!!!! Thanks!!!! Suzi

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2256
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 4:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Goodness Nina-------- thats actually Brer Howie with his hood down! --- and Hey!My Oh My! what big ears he"s got!!![whisper]:Nina -He"s a real hard case -known to hang out with a gang from the "High Rip Hutch"- so don"t be fooled into drinking from his quack medicine bottle!Worse-he"s the only member of that gang known to have some phony doctor"s degree from Germany and to be studying the "Black Arts".
So Jenni and me, we think we may have found the antidote to that bottle of " medicine"- we cracked the code and thats why you woke and we got you back here....
But be warned....he adopts different guises so for you to stay free you must check in here just once a week!But if you dont your clothes will turn to rags and you may find yourself back sweeping out cinders in that castle or worse back in its dungeon!
Your Friend
Nats

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 2:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No Moore

"Thieves . . . snatched a two-ton Henry Moore bronze of a reclining figure from the grounds of the late sculptor's foundation north of London, police said Saturday." Washington Post, December 18, 2005

Using Mercedes truck and crane, thieves feigned a nimble lift
of Moore's hefty "Reclining Figure" from where she reclined
on the Moore foundation's 70-acre country estate just

steps from the night's frolickers at the Hoops Inn.
Clever as Ella Fitzgerald singing "A-Tisket A-Tasket,"
they scored a basket, and filched the offending trinket.

Now curators tremble the same will be turned to scrap:
modern art rendered to modern pap. But what's the flap?
"Effing figure -- that's not art to me, a piece of crap!
She may be in recline but if offered to me, I'd decline!"

Christopher T. George

Henry Moore's Reclining Figure

Henry Moore's statue "A Reclining Figure" and, inset, a CCTV image showing the four-wheel-drive vehicle arriving at the estate. Thieves with a flatbed truck and a crane snatched the bronze on Thursday.

Henry Moore

Henry Moore (1898-1986)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3436
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 4:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I Know I know I know but there is a fabulous audacity about that isn't there!!!!!!!

Incidently they still haven't found it.......and if they think its been nicked for scrap .......rubbish !!-its a mega jape I think.................and I hope it's safe!

Suzi x

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 598
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 2:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It had better not be being made into German planes. (Sorry. I'm so confused I don't know which language to type in. Sorry again.) Just not sure what Godfrey would make of that.

Love,

Lyn x
My first reaction is, "OMG that's crazy". But then I'm thinking this just may be crazy enough to work.
copyright © Bradley McGinnis Sept. 2005

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5421
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 8:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think George Melly said that when he was studying at some art college or other, and Moore came to visit, he and his friends used to sing :

Please don't make any more Mr Moore,
Mr Moore please don't make any more...

The feeling was that he was repeating himself.

That one above looks like a swan to me.

Robert

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 953
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shouldn't this thread be renamed "We all need to get our Moore?"

Ho de ho de ho. He's so witty.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3460
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 5:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

' Er me and Mr Melly (about 5 yrs ago!!!).... LOVELY LOVELY man!!!!!!

Suzi

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 955
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 7:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yeah, sure, Suzi. As if either of you remembered it the next day!

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2728
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 2:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apparently he called his house Much Hadum!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.