Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

In Memorium: Cindy Perry Nelms Hollif... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » In Memorium: Cindy Perry Nelms Hollifield « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

thomas schachner
Sergeant
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello everybody,

i just learned from dan, that his wife passed away last week.

although i never got the change to know her, i'm sure she must have been a great person - somebody like dan wouldn't make a bad choice!
in his own words he describes her as:

"She was a grand young Southern Belle, raised in the old-school tradition. She cared about everyone in her life, as if they were as close as family. She had manners, grace, respect for everyone she met, and a smile that would melt icicles. She did charity work with elderly people, and everyone she ever met loved her. Everyone she met became family to her. Everyone felt that they were important to her- and they were. She was a remarkable person." (http://www.aphelion-webzine.com)

DAN -- you are not alone!

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 588
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boy, what do you say to someone who's suffered a sudden loss like this? "I'm sorry" just doesn't seem to cut it. Along with Brad McGinnis, Dan has put a lot of time and effort into making the chat room work (where I just happened to be enjoying earlier tonight.) Dan, I've never met you but I have spent many great hours chatting with you online. I just wanted to let you know that you're in my thoughts right now.

Dave

Lindsey Millar
Detective Sergeant
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

I'm at a loss for words here.. just know that you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,

Lyn

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan

I am very very sad to hear of your loss, and am glad to know that so many people have been "there" for you in your devastation. I really feel for you. Thank you for having the courage to tell your on-line "family" about Cindy's last night and also to let us know how you have been coping these past few days. Dan, our thoughts are with you and your loved ones at this difficult time.

Chris George
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

May I ask who we're talking about here? I just got done offering my sincerest condolences to a very confused Dan Norder. I wasn't aware there's another Dan on the boards. Perhaps I know him under a different name? In any case, whether I know him or not, I can't imagine what he's going through. But if he's a Casebooker, he doesn't have to go through it alone. There's never a right thing to say at a time like this, but I hope Dan believes she's in a much better place, because I most definitely believe that's the case.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 594
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom,

Dan Hollifield has been involved with the operation of Casebook's chat room. Aside from posting the weekly topics, he doesn't really post much on the message boards but before he started working nights he was a regular fixture in the chat room. Going back a couple of Halloweens I remember having a great time talking old horror movies with Dan and Tim Mosley. He's also worked on some of the music files Stephen has up--I remember he did "Who Killed C*ck Warren". That's an error message making me censor the song title, by the way.

Dave

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 763
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vila,

My sincerest condolences as well. I tried to catch you in the chat last night, but didn't see you.

Ally

P.S. For those of you who frequent the chattery, you know Dan as Vila. A grand gentleman.

The Vitriolic Victimizer

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,
Sincere Condolences
Keep Strong,our thoughts are with you.
Natalie

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 278
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

Ah, that explains it. 'Vila' does look a bit familiar, but in all my years (6 now) on the Casebook, I've never once participated in a chat. I've gone in the room a few times, but no one else was ever there. The chat on old horror films would be right up my alley, and I'm sorry I missed it.

Ally,

Funny, I was just wondering about you last night. You've been awfully quiet lately. Didn't even do any Begg or Tom bashing in the Ripperologist thread this month. You were missed!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

D. Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

Sincerest sympathy for your loss.

David Radka

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 462
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

What can I say? You have my deepest sympathy.

Mikey

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3643
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan, please accept my condolences.

Robert

Dan L. Hollifield
Sergeant
Username: Vila

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To one and all: My deepest thanks for your kind thoughts and condolences.
No, I don't spend a lot of time reading or posting to the boards any more. At least, not since Spry had to re-vamp them a couple of years ago. You folks just post too many things for me to keep up with *and* have a life at the same time. (grin) I do show up in the chatroom as often as I can, because everyone concerned with the Casebook is a special friend to me. I consider each of you to be part of my extended family.
It has been a rough patch indeed for the last few weeks. Frankly, I've been a zombie lately, but I'm starting to put the pieces of my life back together now. I wanted to take time to put the worst of the grief behind me before I re-entered polite society- And I thank you all for worrying about me and your kind words of support. I couldn't have made it without the thoughts and prayers of more friends than I knew I had, my family, Cindy's family, and my co-workers.
For those on these Boards whom I haven't met, I've been loosely connected with the Casebook since 1995 or so. As was pointed out above, I do MIDI arrangements of period music for Spry, and scanned, sized, and cleaned up many of the photographs that are featured here (about 1/4 of the ones here presently- the site has grown quite a lot over the years), as well as being the un-official guardian of the Chatroom. I also have the reputation of posting the most polite verbal vitrol ever to appear in a Casebook post (ask Brad or Ally, or look it up in the old Casebook archives, LOL).
I'll be hanging out in the chatroom this evening (EST) if anyone wants to drop in. I'll sign off now and let everyone get back to serious posting. Once again, thank you all. You've made a difficult time much easier to bear.
Vila / Dan Hollifield

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan

Nice to know that you are managing to cope with your grief, even if, naturally, the task continues to be very hard for you. I will hope to stop into the chat room tonight and will look forward to seeing you. Hang in there, Dan.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

as I don't really know you I have avoided posting on this thread up til now. but know we all send our sincere condolences

Jenni

Legion
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indeed herr Vila. You have my condolences. Hit me up if ya need anything.

crix
"Our name is legion, for we are many"

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vila...All my sympathies to you,my friend.

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2490
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

Sorry for the late condolenses, but I seldom visit the pub Talk area and just discovered this thread.

I am so sorry to hear this; I won't even fool myself into believing that it's possible to imagine how you feel. I can only offer you my deepest sympathy and I'll pray that you will get enough strength in order to get through this.

All the very best
Glenn, Sweden
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.