Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Ex-Pat Telegraph Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Ex-Pat Telegraph « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All

If you are an ex-pat Brit like myself you might be interested in this e-magazine I have just heard about. Go to

http://expat.telegraph.co.uk

One interesting article that they have is on British "traitors" identified at the time of the Second World War, including, as you might expect, Sir Oswald Mosley and his wife, in information just released by the British National Archives.

As the article notes, "In the list of more than 400 people drawn up by MI5 and Special Branch, coal miners and hairdressers rub shoulders with dukes and retired admirals, while bank managers are collected together with doctors, dentists and ladies of leisure." See

Nobles and admirals on war 'Suspect List'
http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2004/10/12/nna12.xml

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3343
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

Thanks for that. I'm surprised that there are any coal miners etc on the list, since I expected it to consist entirely of the upper and middle classes.

Secretary Stimson said that whenever he was invited to posh evening parties in the 30s he would be asked whether he was a Nazi or a Communist, at which point he would enquire whether it was no longer possible to be simply a democrat.

Robert

(Message edited by Robert on October 31, 2004)

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 490
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

I was reading the web site and noted Major General John Fuller's name. It is not totally forgotten today among military theorists and historians. He wrote several well regarded biographies (one was of Alexander the Great) of military geniuses throughout history. His star was eclipsed by that of Basil Little-Hart, a less controvertial man (from what I know of him) who was more advanced on the theory of total warfare.

Why should we doubt the prominence of so many right-wing/fascistic leaders in British society?
America had Henry Ford, Charles Lindbergh (the villain in a recent novel of "iffy" history by Philip Roth: THE PLOT AGAINST AMERICA), Father
Coughlin, Senators Burton Wheeler, Gerald Nye,
and Pat McCarran, and even (probably) actor Errol Flynn. The sad thing was that the truth about these traitors was not released at the time or in the immediate period after the war.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Lindsey Millar
Sergeant
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Thank you, thank you!

Bestest,

Lyn

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn, Robert, and Jeff

Glad to provide this information. Yes indeed Jeff I agree that many in the British upper class in the thirties had fascist sympathies. Thanks for your thoughts on General Fuller.

Incidentally, the Telegraph also has a number of interesting articles on Lord Lucan, included a new one in which his son denies that he was not a murderer, a claim hotly denied by Lucan's wife who claims she was the target of the murderous attack on Sandra Rivett, the 29-year-old nanny, who was killed by Lucan by mistake at 46, Lower Belgrave Street on November 7, 1974 before the lord famously escaped:

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/10/31/nlucan31.xml&sSheet=/portal/2004/10/31/ixportal.html

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 514
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This has nothing to do with the Telegraph, but since we're on the subject of newspapers, what's going on with The Times. I understand they're changing from broadsheet to tabloid? That's a format change only, right--The Time's not turning into the Enquirer? There seems to be some controversy.

Thanks,
Dave

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave

The Times of London tradionally has been one of the starchier conservative British newspapers, publishing the Court circular and other official material, along with dotty letters from oddbods in Lower Tickle-Me-Fancy who claim to have heard the first cuckoo. I would doubt if The Times is adopting a tabloid format to change its content to match the racier content of tabloids such as The Mirror or The Sun. My guess is that it is more a size change rather than a content change.

Incidentally, I might mention that Liverpudlians and Liverpool F.C. supporters everywhere continue to this day to shun the The Sun for its pro-police coverage of the Hillsborough football disaster of 1989. As you might know, 96 Liverpool fans died after they were crushed against the anti-hooligan fencing. The Sheffield police were believed by many supporters to have fed into the disaster by forcing fans into already overcrowed pens and then to have responded slowly to the developing tragedy.

All my best

Chris

(Message edited by chrisg on November 01, 2004)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 515
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Chris

If Liverpudlians still shun The Sun, what are they going to do to Boris Johnson?

Cheers,
Dave

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave

Boris has apologized and is going to or has come to the city to pay his respects. Politicians are wont always to put their foot in their mouths aren't they. I understand that Cherie Blair, wife of Tony, and incidentally a Liverpudlian, is in some hot water for a U.S. appearance where she spoke as a member of the legal profession and advocate of human rights and criticized George W.'s stand on gay marriage.

Meanwhile there was trouble at Millwall football ground in London last week when the local supporters taunted the LFC fans with a chant of "You should have died at Hillsborough" and references to the beheading of Ken Bigley. sad

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 516
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Chris

Nice crowd at Millwall. . .that would be enough to make me riot myself (and I'm very delicate).

Boris did apologize, sort of. I didn't know Cherie Blair was from Liverpool. . .hope that criticism is coming from the UK and not the US. Funny how Boris is criticized for what he said and Cherie Blair for speaking at all.

But I'd better keep my politics to myself though! You know how political discussions around here usually evolve into lovefests. (laugh) I hope you will be exercising your vote tomorrow. I'm taking the day off because I'm hearing talk of long lines for the people who voted early, and I want to be able to wait around if I need to.

Cheers,
Dave

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave

Thanks for the Boris link.

Yes I am going to vote first thing in the morning. laugh

I know we shouldn't be political here but I thought the next several quotes from the U.S. election that might give you and others a chuckle or pause for thought:

Bumper stickers seen:

"A village in Texas has lost its idiot."

"Save the Environment. Plant a Bush in Texas."

Letter to New York Times Magazine on Ron Suskind's Oct. 17 article, "Without a Doubt" from Ellen Remore of New Jersey on George W. Bush's faith-based presidency:

"After reading your article, I believe Bush's stalwarts may have a point. If we're looking at another four years of this, it is, in fact, time to start praying."

Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjoyed those quotes Chris.Apparently Kerry is much prouder of Dick Cheney"s lesbian daughter than Dick Cheney is!Now that has a certain appeal somehow!
Natalie

Lindsey Millar
Sergeant

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

I hadn't realised that Liverpudlians were shunning The Sun.. mind you, after what you report, they have good reason to. That was a terrible moment, and I remember crying at the newscasts. I shall heretofore shun The Sun. Never liked their Page 3 anyway..

Will be voting in the morning... bright and early.

Just can't bring myself to see Kerry as president..

Well, may the best man win! Just wish I didn't have to vote in three countries.... it's all so confusing!

Venezuelan, English and American Lyn

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3352
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lyn, "I shall heretofore"? You got a time machine?

"I shall heretofore shun the Sun." Now try saying that quickly.

Swan swam under the bridge. Swim swan swim...

Robert

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I've just come back from four wonderful Liverpool days and nights. You can't go into a pub in the city without meeting memorable characters who make fascinating conversation. They certainly know how to enjoy themselves, and give visitors a warm and friendly welcome.

Best of all, we seemed to keep meeting scousers who could have talked all night about Liverpool's history, and pressed phone numbers into our hands to keep in touch if we wanted to know more.

An amazing place, can't wait to go back again.

Love,

Caz
X

PS What's The Sun? Never heard of it.

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris & Dave

I read in the paper last week that Millwall fans had been singing "theres only one Boris Johnson" in order to taunt Liverpool fans.

I didn't realise that they read the Spectator in Millwall!

Best Regards
John Savage

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 357
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

A bit far to go for a pub crawl wasn't it?

I hope it was worth while, and I'll speak to you soon.

Rob

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz

I envy you for your trip to Liverpool, my home town. All the same, I feel as if I was right there with you as you described your trip and the grand time you had in the intimate pubs of Scousetown. Sounds great! applaud

Sadly, I don't think we will make it up to Liverpool when Donna and I come over for the Brighton convention in October 2005. sad

But ... you never know. Hope springs eternal, what? Hmmm... Maybe I will be able to shake hands with whomever forged the Diary by then, huh? reading

By the way, a bit of typical Scouse humor, Caz. As you may know, amazingly the blue half of Liverpool, i.e., Everton Football Club, are doing better at the moment than red half that I support, Liverpool F.C. Nonetheless, soccer fans, Liverpool, despite their poor showing in recent seasons still hold the all-time club record for English football championships, above both Manchester United and Arsenal. Everton at this present moment lie third in the Premiership table while Liverpool languish in sixth position having just acquired a new manager, Spaniard Rafael Benitez and brought in a host of new players. Well, I understand that the Evertonians' nickname for Benitez is "Rafael Beneath Us." laugh

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Lindsey Millar
Sergeant

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert charles,

"I shall heretofore shun the Sun." Now try saying that quickly.

Tried it, and did it, mate!

Mind you, I probably couldn't do it sober....

Bestest,

Lyn

Lindsey Millar
Sergeant

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys..

Is "heretofore" not a word, then?? Did I make it up??? God, I have been in the US far too long... I fear I'm losing my mind! (Along with my ability to speak...)

Bestest,

Lyn

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.