Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Submit to SaucyVox(Dot)Com Special Is... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Submit to SaucyVox(Dot)Com Special Issue on Abuse « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 888
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 9:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all--

SauxyVox's editor Feith Stuart is planning a special issue on abusive relationships for December. If you have a story, poem, essay, or illustration that will fit within the theme, Submit!!!

All the best

Chris

From Feith Stuart --

I’m planning an issue of SaucyVox that will be themed for December. The December issue will be full of work by survivors of abuse. If you are a survivor, or have a venue that allows you to post calls for submissions, I’d really appreciate some help with raising awareness of this issue.

The following is the call:

SaucyVox(Dot)Com (http://saucyvox.com) is preparing a special edition made up entirely of submissions by survivors of abuse in all its forms. Short stories, essays, memoir, poetry, photography and digital versions of visual arts, mixed media – all forms are welcome. The work need not be related to the theme of abuse, but all artists will be asked to include the following statement in their biography –

“My name is ______, and I am a survivor of ____________.”

The point of the edition is to raise awareness of abuse in our society as well as to demystify the face of the abused. There are no gender or age restrictions.

Please send all submissions to abuseproject@saucyvox.com
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 7:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

The Saucy Vox issue on Abuse is now out if you would like to check it out. It is at

http://www.saucyvox.com

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Kelly Robinson
Inspector
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 1:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris.
I've been catching up on old threads while I have some extra time, so I checked this link and lo and behold you are a featured poet in this issue! I tried to click the link under your name, though, and it seems not to work. Any suggestions? I'd like to read your stuff.
-Kelly
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Kelly Robinson
Inspector

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 1:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, never mind, it decided to work, and I'm so glad. Nice work Chris. I particularly enjoyed the Larkin homage, and I appreciated the references in "Court Green": the yew tree, the post mortem - having read a lot of Plath in my youth.
A very nice collection of poems. Sorry I found them so late. Check 'em out, other people!
-Kelly
William Faulkner

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kelly

Many thanks for catching up on my poems. Will you be coming to see my musical performed in Charlotte and to hear the talks by Joe Chetcuti, Dan Norder, Stan Russo and Dr. Jim Bailey? Also as you probably know James Jeffrey Paul's "Miller's Court" is to be performed.

Here are a few more things that might interest you--

There's an interview with me at

http://mysite.verizon.net/respyegf

And here's a poem with a timely subject--

Deep Impact

The NASA techs and scientists give each other high fives.
Dressed in red and blue shirts especially for July the Fourth,
they're joyfully ecstatic to impact the comet with their probe,
"igniting a dazzling fireworks display in space," CNN extolls.

Planned destruction, shock and awe in the name of science,
like the bullet ship in Georges Méliès' Voyage dans la Lune
filmed in 1902: one in the eye for the green cheese Moon.
Disregard the destruction, NASA reassures Earth worrywarts,

"The comet will not split in half or be jarred out of its orbit;
the impact will pose no danger to Earth in the near future."
And what if life exists on it? Inside the comet may be
the DNA that made you and those NASA geeks.

Christopher T. George

La Lune

Voyage dans la Lune, 1902

Cosmic Fireworks on July 4
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Kelly Robinson
Inspector

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 8:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for posting the interview. I've always enjoyed the poems you post here, but the collection posted above at saucyvox is particularly good. I can
see some of your influences, but the writing is distinctly yours.
I agree with your comment that to write well one has to read well. I'm a big fan of Harold Bloom, and I remember him saying once that something important was lost when schools stopped making kids memorize poetry. Rote memorization is not necessarily the best teaching tool, but I agree with Bloom that there is something about HAVING a poem. It lives in you and stays with you.
I used to use poems as audition monologues years ago, and I love being able to pull them out of my brain (I used to use "Lady Lazarus" quite a bit).

Unfortunately, I probably can't go to the convention (I have a week-long D.C. trip coming up, plus a trip to Japan), but I'll be in Baltimore for sure.

Keep posting your work.
-Kelly
William Faulkner

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.