Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Hello from Canada - I am a French-spe... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Hello from Canada - I am a French-speaking newcomer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

OlivierD
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 4:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've sent my registration yesterday, and since I have posted several comments for some days, I thought I had to go ahead and introduce myself. I do not exactly if I am Belgian (where I am born), French (where I have studied) or Quebecker (where I am working now). One point is certain, however, my first language in not English. I hope you will be indulgent for my grammatical mistakes.

I have turned to the study of JtheR with the book of Patricia Cornwell. However, I must reassure you: I am not convinced by the validity of Sickert as a suspect. From this point of view, however, the work of Patricia Cornwell has been useful.

I hope to be with you in the future months (or years).

Olivier

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to the Boards, Olivier.

As we've "met" already, I can tell there are going to be some interesting discussions.

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Ken Proctor
Sergeant
Username: Gizmo

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Olivier Welcome to the site. do not be apologetic to the fact that you have investigated the works of Patricia Cornwell. she like all of us is fishing in the dark. i also am relatively new to this jtr thing and am yet too much of a novice to discount anything.It takes some time to being accepted on this site so hang in there. WELCOME

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Olivier!!!!!! welcomes you too!!!!
You'll soon get the hang of the way all this works....think of it as the best pub in the world where the best conversation can be had but people aren't averse to playing games!...Eventually everyone forgives everyone else though.....generally!

Welcome!!!

Cheers
Suzi

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"think of it as the best pub in the world where the best conversation can be had but people aren't averse to playing games!"

A good suggestion, Suzi.
But where is the Guinness?

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn!
The Guinness is there NATURALLY!.....otherwise how could we possibly have anything resembling a
good conversation...mind you after a while conversation of any kind becomes a tad 'tricky'!
Heres to a good 'craich'!

Cheers

Suzi

Olivier P.M.G. Donni
Police Constable
Username: Olivier

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all. I have received my password a couple of days ago. I hope to enter new discussions when I will have more time.

Olivier

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Oliver,
Welcome

Jenni

damn the five word rule!!
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 913
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Olivier

Let me join in warmly welcoming you to the boards. In addition to being a Ripperologist I am a War of 1812 historian, and deal extensively with my peers in Canada. At one of our War of 1812 symposiums, several years ago, Luc Lepin from Montreal spoke about the French-speaking volunteers who fought for the British during the war. At the upcoming October 9, symposium, Major John Grodzinski from Kingston, Ontario, will be speaking about the war on the St. Lawrence. But all this is off topic for this site, so let me reiterate my welcome and say that I am pleased that Pat Cornwell led you to us although you don't endorse her theory. I originally got involved through the Maybrick Diary, not that I believe in that either, since I hail from Liverpool though now live in the United States.

All my best

Chris George
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Olivier!!!!
Hope youre still with us!!!

Chris
My husband is a serious Napoleonic wargamer and got a tad excited re 1812 but is still interested in the Canadian aspect, any info or websites would appease!!

Cheers!!! Suzi

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 962
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Suzi

Glad to know about your husband's Napoleonic Wars interests. It's a fascinating era. You both might be interested in an article of mine, "The Eroica Riddle: Did Napoleon Remain Beethoven's 'Hero'?" that appeared originally in the Journal of Napoleonic Scholarship and can be read on the net.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris!
Have saved the page looks very interesting will print out and place in front of husband tomorrow!!!!!

Thanks

Suzi

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Olivier, Its great to have someone who speaks French on the boards because Mary Kelly, the last victim had a French connection. She claimed to have spent time in France and even started calling herself Marie Jeannette. This time in her life is largely a blank. Not confirmed. If you still have contacts in France your contribution could be extremely valuable.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Olivier
just thought that this quote may be a bit aposite here!
'Trois heures,cest toujours trop tard or trop to^t pour tout ce qu'on veut faire!!!'
For us... Three o clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do'
Jean Paul Sartre

Olivier P.M.G. Donni
Police Constable
Username: Olivier

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Suzi. I didn't know this line of Sartre.

To answer to your first remark. I must say, however, that I do not know specially the circle of French prostitutes in the XIXth Century. :-) But I can help you for translations, for example.

Still I am very busy now. In fact, I am again moving in France and I have lost my internet connection at home. It is why I have taken so much time to give you an answer.

Thank you Chris for your references to the War of 1812. This piece of History is very interesting. In France & Belgium, this war is almost unknown. Of course, we are "taken" by Napoleon Warsand in 1870 by the war against Germany.

Thank you Jenni for your kind (even short) words.

Olivier

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Olivier
As to the Satre!!! I didn't either! found it in the Oxford Book of Quotations!...as you do!

The Napoleonic Wars are very big business over here across the Channel... in wargaming terms of course!
Hope your move went well and hope to see you back on the boards soon! en avant!!!!!

Suzi

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.