Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Things I wish I could post in other t... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Things I wish I could post in other threads but must post here « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 6:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey There, Hi there Ho there forum folk.

I created this thread for two purposes. First and foremost to make us laugh. Anyone who has been around message boards for a considerable time has felt like these pictures before, I'm sure. Second, I felt that perhaps someone else might find them useful.. Oh and if you get offended.. well perhaps you don't belong on the net? :-)

So with out further adu:

"I was born alone, I shall die alone. Embrace the emptiness, it is your end."

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 6:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's do one at a time, so it's a little easier on spry's server :-)

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 6:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 6:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 6:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 6:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

K, last one.. I'm afraid if I post any more Spry will show up and my house :-)

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector

Post Number: 329
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.watchingyou.com/woowoo.html

The parallels between that web page and some of our more.. nefarious posters are staggering.

crix0r

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 9:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, the woowoos are a plague on most websites and boards, their tactics just change somewhat based upon the topic and where they are at the time.

#6, #9, #12, #22, #28, #29 and #34 get seen here all too often.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 8:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

# 28 rings a few bells....

great link Jason

Jenni
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 288
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I began thinking this weekend (always a dangerous pursuit on my part) and it began to dawn on me that since I first ventured onto the boards just prior to my birthday last year that I must be close to celebrating my Casebook anniversary. I did a little checking and yes, my first post was on October 19, 2003. So, I decided I might share a few of my thoughts about those past 12 months.

It was with a great deal of trepidation that I made that first post, confident that since I was writing about baseball (it did also bear on JtR) I would be fairly safe -- and even so, resident polymath Jeff Bloomfield pointed out one error. Still, my initial post met with some encouraging comments, so I plunged in.

Nonetheless, I was early on advised by that wonderful old hand Alex Chisholm that he now limited himself to posting only when he felt he really had something to contribute. That seemed a good approach and I've tried to follow it. Of course, that has still meant some 280 odd (often very odd) posts in a year and if I find it hard to avoid a terrible pun, for the most part I have tried to stay on-topic and also tried hard (sometimes it was difficult) to keep my remarks civil regardless of the provocation.

As it is, I have found most of the people on the boards to be quite nice, even those with whom I may have disagreed. I have probably written privately, with a question or comment, to more than two dozen regulars and found them all to be gracious and accommodating and over the course of the year I've developed real internet friendships with four or five posters.

Beyond that, from a year on the boards I have learned much. Not, perhaps, as much about JtR as I might have imagined, but certainly about a wide range of other subjects. In addition to JtR, it seems all the regulars have special areas of expertise all their own and that adds to the overall excitement of the boards. (In that regard I have often wished I lived in the UK just so I might make use of Richard's often spot-on turf tips.)

Even most of the acrimonious arguments can be instructive and occasionally fun. I mean no disrespect to either party, but I do miss the daily dustup between Caz and John. They were well matched and their comments were fun to read. They seemed rather like an old married couple, forever bickering about something that happened at a party so long ago they no longer recall the event but continue to argue on out of habit.

That, however, does apply entirely across the boards. There is one (no names here) particular poster's thread (which he obviously considers to be his "homepage away from home") where the rules of civility have never been observed and as a consequence nothing worthwhile is discussed and its "popularity" can only only be explained as the same sort of phenomenon that draws people to the site of a train wreck. Why this thread is considered above the rules and its main "homey" treated so special when mere mortals would be banned for lesser offenses has often puzzled me, but then many of the workings of the world are well beyond my ken so I just avoid that thread now.

Anyway, I have rambled long enough and all I really want to say is that as my first year on the boards hoves into view, thanks to all of you -- well, almost all of you. :o)

Don.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 3:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don,
I don't know what thread it is you could mean....!

Jenni
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Maria Giordano
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 7:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy Anniversary, Don. I've enjoyed your posts (especially about baseball) and always look forward to hearing from you.

Sometimes when dealing with small children who can be, as you probably know, completely egocentric and stubborn beyond all reason, it's helpful to remember the Mom's Credo "Ignore it and it will go away." That continues to be my advice in a number of areas.

I,too, am sometimes baffled by the lin\mits of bahaviiors, but sometimes we have to look the other way I guess.
Mags

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Chief Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 691
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 8:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Don

I can't imagine which poster you are describing, however, now that I contemplate it, I can think of a poster who uses a thread on this website as his home base. Coincidently I have heard that this posters' ego has applied for sovereign nationhood. If accepted his ego will take up a space roughly the size of Wales.

All The Best
Gary

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector

Post Number: 342
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 9:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmmmmmmmmm

"I'm just saying is all"

crix0r

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 783
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 2:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last year around this time I marked my first year on the boards and was generally very pleased with the experience and marvelled, for the most part, at the friendliness and erudition of the posters. [My 2004 comments are filed above on this thread.]

Looking back at my second year, I would iterate those last remarks: those posters I have "met" through personal emails have been overwhelmingly gracious and helpful and when you have a serious question posters are eager to help. Moreover, the knowledge evinced by Casebook members on topics other than JtR is impressive and sometimes even daunting.

That said, however, the boards are not nearly so enjoyable as when I first joined. There is an increasing level of querulousness, testiness and down-right rudeness. Far too many people are acting so touchy you'd think they had just towelled off with a belt sander.

This may just be a function of the registered membership more than doubling since I joined, but I hope not. With a subject like JtR, where what is truly known as fact is in very short supply, it stands to reason that much of what is discussed is surmise, supposition, speculation and sometimes even unbridled fantasy. Given that state of affairs almost any idea put forth, no matter how well-reasoned and logically water-tight the progenitor considers his brain-child to be, there will be naysayers. That is the way any worthwhile ideas are proofed: both the defenders and attackers of an idea do their best and both sides are the better for it -- so long as the arguments don't get personal. Alas, that last has been breached too often of late.

Another thing I have found lately is an increasing tendency to apply 21st century experiences to a 19th century problem. Many things about the human condition do seem constant over millennia, but certainly not all and a little grounding in LVP social history could only help us to look at the JtR crimes from a more informed perspective.

Withal, the Casebook boards remain ever stimulating. Thank you all (or most all anyway) for making it so.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

David O'Flaherty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 3:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

" . . . a little grounding in LVP social history could only help us to look at the JtR crimes from a more informed perspective."

Right said, Don. I agree. I recognize the mystery is the main pull here, but it's not as if the East End existed in a vacuum, right? Everything came from something else so there's a rich history that can be appreciated. These days I think that instead of the LVP being a vehicle to better understand JtR, it's the other way around. It's always when the wheels fall off that people mouth off about how a wagon's supposed to work, so JtR tells us a lot about the LVP.

I think in some ways, we're a lot like the Victorians these days, so learning something about them is timely.

Dave

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3005
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don,

I'm very tempted to post a joke rude post but people might think i meant it!!
Jenni
"it is hard not to feel a twinge of guilt. Guilt for the fact that this man's name would always be coupled with something other than the great works of book-collecting and abdominal operations with which he is now associated."

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.