Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Upcoming Auction of A.C. Doyle Papers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » Upcoming Auction of A.C. Doyle Papers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3292
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 7:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're welcome, Jeff. Glad everything's back to normal.

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 552
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A kind person on the HOUNDS email list provided a link to Sherlockian.net's bibliography of Ripper-related Holmes writings. I thought some of you might be interested.

Dave

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3496
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 2:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, Dave. I bet Jeff's read every one of those!

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 553
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 2:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

That's funny--as I was writing, I thought "You know, I bet Jeff has a lot of these in his library." :-)

Dave

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 503
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 8:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Jeff wishes he had them in his library, but then Jeff also wants to find the lost plays of Menander so there are a lot of things Jeff can't get.

Fact is, I have to much to read. In the last three months I read a biography of Alberto Santos-Dumont, the Brazilian aviation pioneer (and first man to fly a heavier than air craft in Europe - in 1906), a book on the Lusitania Disaster, a book about the events leading up to the beginning of the American Revolution, a book about shipwrecks on the Pacific Coast, and several others. I happen to be a compulsive book collector and reader - and it is a pain.

Getting back to this thread on Sir Arthur, on Saturday a week ago I bought a book called FINAL SEANCE: THE STRANGE FRIENDSHIP BETWEEN HOUDINI AND CONAN DOYLE by Massimo Polidoro (Amherst, New York: Prometheus Books, 2001). I purchased it at Colosseum Books, which (fortunately) found a new store location across the street from the 42nd Street Library. Fortunately for me too that I went over there too, because the copy I bought was (apparently) the last remaindered copy they had. I finished it by last Thursday around 12:30 A.M. Mr. Polidoro is a leading Italian investigator into paranormal phenomenon.
Actually the book was pretty well researched and balanced. Sir Arthur comes across as sympathetic in his desire to believe anything, but pathetically self-deluding because of this willingness to believe. Houdini similarly comes across as quite astute, but capable of serious blunders in his counter-campaign against fake psychics (not that he was wrong in doubting them, but his methods sometimes were clumsy). The wonder was that (given their points of view) both men were able for close to a year to form a fairly decent friendship. Then Houdini admitted to doubts about a message from his dead mother that he received through the mediumship of Conan Doyle's wife. The rift really developed from that, but the points of view of the two men did not help matters. Still Sir Arthur remained fairly friendly to Houdini's wife Bess, after the magician's sudden death in 1926. Bess actually sent Sir Arthur some valuable papers Harry had purchased concerning Sir Arthur's father Charles. Possibly they were in the papers that were auctioned (the original subject of this thread). If you can find this book it is well worth reading.

Right now I am reading 1759 by Frank McLynn, a very well written account of the year when Britain began to emerge as the world's greatest power. It is part of my self-education plans (including the previously mentioned THE COMING OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION by Lawrence P. Gibson). It is supposed to be part of a long-term plan to read certain histories that have been kicking around my house for decades (Gibson's Harper Torchbook has been here since the late 1970s). You can see that the library of Ripper-related writings concerning Holmes would have to push their way in very hard to get in at all.

Lord Melbourne, Queen Victoria's first Prime Minister, said that his idea of heaven was a house with three complete libraries. Strange he should limit it to only three - but he said that in the period of Regency England. There was less to read.

Jeff

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 8:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff

Thanks for updating us on your very interesting reading list, from pioneer aviator Alberto Santos-Dumont to Harry Houdini and Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle, to shipwrecks on the Pacific Coast and the years leading up to the American Revolution. laugh It's fascinating to learn what books each of us finds to occupy our time for education and edification. Good luck and bravo on your ambitious self-education effort, Jeff.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3541
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff

If you're interested in aviation, I can recommend the works of Saint-Exupery, plus "Antoine de Saint-Exupery, His Life and Times" (or some such title) by Curtis Cate.

They had the centenary of his birth in 2000, but I don't think they made much of it, which is a shame.

Robert

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 506
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris and Robert,

I try to stick as much to a topic as I can, but I have a lot of interests. I've actually read two books on Santos-Dumont (one about two years ago). The first was Nancy WInter's MAN FLIES: THE STORY OF ALBERTO SANTOS-DUMONT, MASTER OF THE BALLOON (Hopewell, N.J., Echo Press, c. 1997), and the second (more detailed account) is Paul Hoffman's WINGS OF MADNESS: ALBERTO SANTOS DUMONT AND THE INVENTION OF FLIGHT (New York: Theia, 2003). Both are good books, but the second is far more in depth. It's an ultimately tragic story of a brilliant aeronaut and aviation pioneer, who developed m.s., was in and out of asylums for many years, and ultimately committed suicide due to feelings of guilt that the advances in aviation he pushed for man's benefit were used to destroy man in warfare.

Speaking about Antoine de Saint-Exupery, this summer his long missing plane was found in the sea off Marseilles. No human remains were found, however.

Jeff

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff & Robert:

More on the finding of Antoine de Saint-Exupery's long missing plane here:

'Little Prince' Mystery Solved

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 557
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff and all,

I haven't yet read Nick Connell and Stewart Evans's The Man Who Hunted Jack the Ripper, but from looking at Det. Inspector Edmund Reid's obituary in The Times, I gather that he was also an aeronaut and at one time even made a parachute jump of 1000 feet from a balloon during an exhibition at the Crystal Palace. I believe that happened sometime during the 1870s. It's not surprising that Reid or any inspector would take to aeronautics because we all know the world's a nicer place from a beautiful balloon. Does anyone know if Connell & Evans write about this episode of Reid's life?

I have a vague recollection of reading an article early this year that speculated that Antoine de Saint-Exupery might also have been a suicide. I don't know if that's the case.

Cheers,
Dave

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3548
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 6:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff, Chris and Dave

Many thanks for that information on Saint-Exupery. I never knew they'd found his plane. Presumably it broke up on impact, and the body was either destroyed then and there, or else subsequently washed away. I very much doubt if it was suicide.

He'd applied to fly a fighter, but at his age and in his condition they weren't going to let him do that. However, he "pulled strings" to be allowed to fly a reconnaisance aircraft. He was quite vulnerable up there, because in the event of his needing to bail out, he'd have been trapped - his numerous injuries over the years had left him unable to raise his arm high enough to open the cockpit.

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 558
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, thanks for that on Saint-Exupery. I don't remember much about the article. I want to say that I saw it on the BBC's site.

I see that Pulitzer Prize winner Michael Chabon has written his own book about a familiar-sounding detective during the Second World War--it sounds like this is meant to be Holmes without actually being Holmes. Chabon's character, a retired detective/beekeeper, is approaching his nineties and facing the loss of some of his mental powers. This sounds like a good one. The only thing I've read by Chabon is Wonder Boys, which I thought was just all right but his later work seems to have caught fire.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating it.

Dave

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 508
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I actually read WIND, SAND, AND STARS, and one of Saint-Exupery's novels (not NIGHT FLIGHT, but I can't recall the name). I have FLIGHT TO ARRAS and THE LITTLE PRINCE to go through one day.

David's comment about Inspector Reid reminded me of another one of those tie-ins that I am constantly looking for (though not quite with Whitechapel it approaches it). If you followed several threads (including one of my own) on these boards concerning other crimes, Inspector Abberline made a similar pronouncement regarding a murderer who was arrested in the 1880s to that of his reported comment about George Chapman in 1902. In 1886 a band of burglars robbed Netherby Hall in Cumberland of a large collection of jewelry. In their attempted escape they encountered constables several times, wounding two and killing a third. Of the four burglars three were caught (and eventually tried, convicted, and hanged for murder - hanged by James Berry). Abberline had been looking for a man suspected in the murder of Inspector Simmons at Romford in January 1885. The man, John Martin, was one of the three Netherby Hall burglars.

Now this by itself is nothing, but here the odd connections begin. When Berry executed Martin,he got into some trouble because he agreed to use a stranger as an assistant at the execution (actually executions of Martin and his partners). This man's identity was kept secret, but it turned out to be a well-known eccentric and aristocrat, Sir Claude Champion de Crespigny.
It seems Sir Claude enjoyed different experiences and adventures. He was a keen baloonist. In 1904, as a member of England's ballooning society Sir Claude welcomed a visit to the country by Europe's leading balloonist: Alberto Santos-Dumont. The appearance of the incident is detailed in the Hoffman book, and Sir Claude's involvement is mentioned in Ms Winter's book. Ironically enough, it means that Sir Claude actually knew or met four men who died by hanging, for (as I mentioned in my last message) Santos-Dumont committed suicide (and it was by hanging himself with a necktie).

Sometimes it is very odd what this "Six Degrees of Seperation" type of contact brings up. The Ripper "to" Abberline to Martin to Berry to de Crespigny to Santos Dumont. Small world indeed!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3549
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, "and facing the loss of some of his mental powers". You mean as in "Elementary my dear...um...er..."

Jeff, I've just done a quick search for Sir Claude in the Times and he was indeed eccentric. I found two instances of his punching people on the railway. He went bankrupt at least once. One of his sons committed suicide, as did his butler.

He died at 88.

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 559
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 1:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's it Robert, except Watson seems to have shuffled off to his practice in the sky.

On a personal note that's slightly related to Holmes and that's probably only of interest to me, I've just learned that my favorite pipe blend, Bohemian Scandal, which had only just made its debut a few months ago, is going out of production due to a warehouse fire. It's a real shame because its star leaf was Syrian Latakia, a tobacco which had only just started to be produced after an absence of over forty years and which has the most astounding silky texture. Smoking it was like being cradled between the breasts of Gypsy Rose Lee. And now most of the supply in the US has literally gone up in smoke. It's unclear if more can be procured from Syria. Bohemian Scandal's blender, Greg Pease (the Michaelangelo of the pipe world), is devastated. Pipe enthusiasts will be talking about the loss for a century.

I have half a tin left. . .some Thanksgiving. Bah! I just had to vent.

Dave

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 2:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David

Sorry to hear about the loss of the stocks of your pipe tobacco, David. Hard luck. That's a fantastic moniker for the stuff, Bohemian Scandal! I hope that somehow the growers can restock the suppliers or else stocks can be brought in from some other country.

All the best

Chris pumpkin

(Message edited by ChrisG on November 25, 2004)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 560
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 3:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Chris. A lot of pipe blenders and pipe carvers are inspired by the Sherlock Holmes stories. One, McClelland, has a line of several blends taken from their pages. One is Arcadia, based on the legendary blend made famous by J.M. Barrie's "My Lady Nicotine". In "The Crooked Man", Conan Doyle (winking to his friend Barrie) made Arcadia one of Watson's favorites:

"Hum! you still smoke the Arcadia mixture of your bachelor days, then! There's no mistaking that fluffy ash upon your coat."

Arcadia was J.M. Barrie's mythical name for Lord Craven's Mixture, which hasn't been available for I guess a hundred years. In "My Lady Nicotine", Barrie wrote:

"One need only put his head in at my door to realize that tobaccos are of two kinds, the Arcadia and others. No one who smokes the Arcadia would ever attempt to describe its delights, for his pipe would be certain to go out. When he was at school, Jimmy Moggridge smoked a cane-chair, and he has since said that from cane to ordinary mixtures was not so noticeable as the change from ordinary mixtures to the Arcadia. I ask no one to believe this, for the confirmed smoker in Arcadia detests arguing with anybody about anything. Were I anxious to prove Jimmy's statement, I would merely give you the only address at which the Arcadia is to be had. But that I will not do. It would be as rash as proposing a man with whom I am unacquainted for my club. You may not be worthy to smoke the Arcadia Mixture."

Barrie, who had all the Victorian pipe-smokers searching for Arcadia, made the tobacconist who created Craven's famous and rich. The tobacconist was able to retire from his Craven profits (without cutting Barrie in).

McClelland's is supposed to have back-engineered some samples of Craven's to come up with Arcadia, which has the distinctive fluffy ash Conan Doyle wrote about. People who have sampled both blends say the modern Arcadia is really nothing like Lord Craven's Mixture of old, but I like it a lot. Before I fell in love with Pease's Bohemian Scandal (my true Arcadia), McClelland's Arcadia was one of my favorites and I have a tin I've been aging now for a couple of years. When the last of the Scandal is gone, I'll open it to console myself.

Because pipes go so well with books, pipe-smokers go a little ga-ga over literary references to pipes (Barrie, Conan-Doyle, and Tolkien are particular favorites). Another reason for that is because besides smoking, pipe-smokers also love to discuss their pipes, tobacco, tampers, etc. I've always wanted to read Holmes's fictional monograph on ash, which actually is very distinctive and really would make a good subject to write about :-)

Syrian Latakia figured in many of the blends that I suppose some of our Victorian friends enjoyed. That's one of the reasons many people were so excited when it reemerged recently--it was our chance to grab a little piece of yesteryear. I've often wondered which of our Ripper people smoked pipes, and what kind of recipes they enjoyed in their pipes.

Sorry, I'm a bad one to go on and on about pipes. They're a passion.

Cheers,
Dave

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3551
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 3:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, my commiserations on your sad loss. I don't know whether I dare say it...in fact, i won't...it's just that...when the Bohemian Scandal went up in smoke, did Irene Adler rush out of the warehouse clutching some compromising letters?

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 561
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 3:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, I would've much preferred it if she had jumped out clutching some Syrian Latakia for me ;)

Dave

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3552
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 4:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, a great pipe moment from cinema has to be the scene in "For A Few Dollars More" (I think) where Lee Van Cleef knows that Ramone and his gang can't afford to start any trouble, as they plan to rob a bank. Accordingly, Van Cleef strikes a match on Klaus Kinski's face and slowly lights his pipe with it, eyeing kinski all the time. Terrific stuff.

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 562
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 4:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ouch. That's a pretty good moment. I can't think of another one, but here's one of my favorite sections from "My Lady Nicotine":

In a select company of scoffers my brier was known as the Mermaid. The mouth-piece was a cigarette-holder, and months of unwearied practice were required before you found the angle at which the bowl did not drop off.

This brings me to one of the many advantages that my brier had over all other pipes. It has given me a reputation for gallantry, to which without it I fear I could lay no claim. I used to have a passion for repartee, especially in the society of ladies. But it is with me as with many other men of parts whose wit has ever to be fired by a long fuse: my best things strike me as I wend my way home. This embittered my early days; and not till the pride of youth had been tamed could I stop to lay in a stock of repartee on likely subjects the night before. Then my pipe helped me. It was the apparatus that carried me to my prettiest compliment. Having exposed my pipe in some prominent place where it could hardly escape notice, I took measures for insuring a visit from a lady, young, graceful, accomplished. Or I might have it ready for a chance visitor. On her arrival, I conducted her to a seat near my pipe. It is not good to hurry on to the repartee at once; so I talked for a time of the weather, the theatres, the new novel. I kept my eye on her; and by and by she began to look about her. She observed the strange-looking pipe. Now is the critical moment. It is possible that she may pass it by without remark, in which case all is lost; but experience has shown me that four times out of six she touches it in assumed horror, to pass some humorous remark. Off tumbles the bowl. “Oh,” she exclaims, “see what I have done! I am so sorry!” I pull myself together. “Madame,” I reply calmly, and bowing low, “what else was to be expected? You came near my pipe—and it lost its head.” She blushes, but cannot help being pleased; and I set my pipe for the next visitor. By the help of a note-book, of course, I guarded myself against paying this very neat compliment to any person more than once. However, after I smoked the Arcadia the desire to pay ladies compliments went from me.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3554
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lovely passage, Dave. Somehow it reminds me of Stephen Potter!

Here in Britain pipes used to be quite common - e.g. Harold Wilson, Prime Minister 1964 - 70 and 1974 -76 was never seen without one. Now it's rare to see any politician smoking a pipe, or anything else, on TV.

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 565
Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 7:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually Robert, I think you and Barrie share a similar sense of humor, so you might like the entire thing.

Back to Sherlock (I believe I've got this right) but I believe his trademark calabash pipe (Melvin Harris is seen holding a specimen in a photo here on the site) is actually the creation of William Gillette, who originated the role of Holmes on the stage (I think he was the first), and then made the translation to film. In any case, no calabash appears in any of the stories (off the top of my head there are just briars, a cherrywood, and cigarettes). Holmes also smoked a pound of shag tobacco in one evening, which I understand was among the cheapest, roughest tobacco produced. I think pipesmokers Kate Eddowes and Joe Barnett both would have been very familiar with shag tobacco.

Cheers,
Dave

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3572
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 3:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave

I'm just trying to remember the portrayals. I think for instance that Basil Rathbone smoked pipe or cigarette fairly randomly, but I've an idea that Jeremy Brett smoked mainly cigarettes (could be wrong though).

I suppose nowadays if they staged a Holmes play, the actor would have to pretend to be smoking the pipe. If they wanted Watson to come onstage and cough at the inspissated atmosphere, they'd have to use dry ice!

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 2:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
Saw the divine Mr Brett ,before his sad demise at Chichester, in 'The Secret of Sherlock Holmes ' with the lovely Mr Hardwicke too! ..AND YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he smoked both cigarettes and pipes throughout! HEAVEN!!!!!!!
HELL for us audience members though who had to wait for the interval to behave in such a civilised manner!!!!! Pass the slipper!!!!!

Cheers

Suzi

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3576
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 4:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi

You had double luck there -1. Watching the play. 2. Seeing it in Chichester - I love all that area of the country.

Robert

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 510
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 7:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forget the pipes folks, Sherlock also takes the 7 1/2 percent solution of cocaine. In fact, Brett is shown shooting up in several of the episodes of the Holmes series (THE ADVENTURE OF THE MUSGRAVE RITUAL, for instance).

Jeff

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Gillette originated the curved pipe because, according to him, it was the only sort that allowed him to speak his lines with a pipe in his mouth. Gillette was, himself, quite an eminent Sherlockian. He also built a castle here in Connecticut (not, I realize, something unusual for all you Brits) as his home and it is now a state tourist site.

Don.

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 570
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amazon has some reviews of the new Annotated Sherlock Holmes. Leslie Klinger has updated the old Baring-Gould edition and it sounds like it's come off well. I like the comparison to Bible study. . .very true.

Dave

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! Impressive stuff here! I just remember being a bit of a stage door Fanny (as opposed to Johnnie) at Chi and got a tee shirt signed! OMG HOW embarrassing!
Anyway......
Robert! Chi anytime!!!!!!!

Oooooooooh God pipes! sure they're great actually I quite like em! but.....
xx
Suzi

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 9:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gillette Faces in Smoke

Cigarette card impression of William Gillette and "Faces in Smoke" depicting characters in the Holmes stories.

For more on Gillette and other actors who have portrayed Holmes, see "Sherlockian.Net: Actors."

All the best

Chris santa
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 584
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On The New Yorker website, David Grann discusses his article on the death of Richard Lancelyn Green.

Dave

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 624
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

Thanks for that postcard of William Gillette--interesting to see that he's not smoking a calabash (neither am I).

NPR's Morning Edition offers a Sherlock Holmes extravaganza: Michael Chabon discusses his new book The Final Solution; there's also a link to a story about the new Annotated Holmes, which has been receiving some good reviews, although I think they should have released the novels and short stories together. Finally, today's show has a story on the mysterious death of Richard Lancelyn Green.

Dave

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 630
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I understand that Caleb Carr has written a new Holmes adventure, The Italian Secretary, which will be released in 2005. Fans of his Alienist series (set in 1890s New York) will know that this is one to get.

Dave

Kelly Robinson
Inspector
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 8:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Drat. When I bought my leather copy of the Sherlock Holmes stories I actually proclaimed that I have enough copies of the stories themselves. No more! And now I see a new annotated version. It's shrinkwrapped at the store, so I can't peruse it. Has anyone looked at it? Any reason to not
just stick with the genius of Baring-Gould?
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 949
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 9:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kelly,

I haven't read it or even seen it but I hear that new Leslie Klinger version is very, very good and doesn't focus so much on the chronology as Baring-Gould did. The only thing is that I don't think Klinger has done the novels yet; they're coming out in a separate volume.

I just finished Caleb Carr's The Italian Secretary} and thought he really did Conan Doyle justice. The book is about murders in Holyrood House and the legend of David Rizzio, who was murdered there in front of Queen Mary. I recommend the book. Carr is just a great writer, I think, although I wish he would get back to his Alienist series. Jon Lellenberg wrote an interesting afterword comparing Holmes and Carr's protagonist in the Alienist books, Lazlo Kreizler.

Cheers,
Dave

Kelly Robinson
Inspector
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks David,
I don't normally like fake Holmes stories, but the Carr one looks like it might be worthwhile. At least I know he'd be a stickler for historical accuracy.
-Kelly

"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.