Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Was there really a planet Vulcan and ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Other Mysteries » Was there really a planet Vulcan and did it fall into the Sun? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 270
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Recently, what is being called the tenth planet was discovered but was the tenth planet really Pluto? Between 1789 and 1845, several astronomers reported seeing an object transiting the face of the Sun which seemed to be circling inside the orbit of Mercury. They calculated its size and orbit and called it the Planet Vulcan. After 1845, they watched to see it make its appointed appearance but it did not. Some thought that it was so close that the Sun had finally swallowed it up. Were they correct or were they seeing things or were they seeing something else like an arrant asteroid?

Stan

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4813
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stan

It's difficult to believe that there was a tenth planet near the sun, because that would mean that it had gone unnoticed by the ancient civilizations.

Robert

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 271
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 1:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

I think the explanation was that it was so close to the Sun that it could only be seen through a telescope while in transit. The whole thing could have been a hoax but enough people in wide ranging areas over a long period of time said they saw it so I think that would be very unlikely. That doesn't mean I believe that it was a planet, although, I won't completely rule that out either.

Stan

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4814
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 3:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stan

i've been glancing through the "Times." This question was discussed throughout the nineteenth century, and it was even suggested that there were several objects within the oribit of Mercury!

This is an extract from an article Nov 1st 1960 :

Robert

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 272
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 4:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Thanks for that interesting contribution. I've wondered about sunspots but they would travel accross the face of the sun much slower than a planet orbiting that close in. Maybe those astronomers were just seeing what they wanted to see sort of like the canals on Mars.

Stan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.