Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The Odd Murder of Sir Edmundberry God... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Other Mysteries » The Odd Murder of Sir Edmundberry Godfrey, 1678 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 679
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thinking about really bizaar, unsolved cases (and ones that affected history as well) few can compete with this one. A plot against the throne is revealed by questionable "patriots" like "Rev." Titus Oates. It is supposed to be a plot to kill the King (Charles II) and put his brother (the future James II) on the throne, because James is Catholic. So the plot is planned by Catholics - probably under order from the Pope and King Louis XIV of France. King Charles (who is smart, and does not trust Oates or his supporters) gives their testimony and affidavits to the trusted Sir Edmundberry, a rarity - an incorruptible magistrate. Than Sir Edmundberry disappears, and a few weeks later
is found beaten to death and with sword thrusts through his body. Eventually three men named Green, Berry, and Hill are convicted on perjured testimony for the murder and hanged. They are Catholics, and an anti-Papist hysteria sweeps England.

Who did in Sir Edmundberry? Was there a Catholic plot, or did Oates and his associates kill the magistrate? Or was it the Earl of Pembroke, a drunken madman with a grudge against Godfrey on an unrelated matter? Or someone we don't know? Any takers on this one?

Good hunting!

Jeff

Paul Williams
Sergeant
Username: Wehrwulf

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Several historians and crime writers have tried, so far in vain, to solve this case. My view is that Oates, or his associates, were responsible. Sir Edmund was an interesting character, receiving a knighthood from Charles II for his conduct during the great fire of London. He had a more liberal, and refreshing attitude towards religious tolerance than many of his peers.
Incidentally the body was found at Greenberry Hill and the men executed were Green, Berry and Hill.

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 581
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pembroke is an interesting candidate, as his known MO was kicking people in the chest, and Godfrey was bruised in just that way.

I think a recent book actually suggests it may have been accidental - ie not murder at all, but a cover-up in some way. I have not read the book!! It doesn't sound very plausible to me.

Phil

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 582
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should add that Stephen Knight (infamous for his book on JtR) wrote a good book (well i enjoyed reading it) on this case. I can't recall his verdict.

I gave the book away long ago (foolish me) and i think it must now be out of print.

Phil

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 682
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I seem to recall there was another book, a "novelization" written years ago by a detective novelist (Arthur Conan Doyle's biographer I think - John Dickson Carr?). If it was Carr, he also wrote a book, THE BURNING COURT, about the contemporary "Affair of the Poisons" in Louis XIV's Versailles.

I remember seeing that Knight wrote about the death of Sir Edmundberry. But I never found a copy of that book, and after the revelations about his handling of material in his Ripper book I sort of lost interest.

Jeff

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 584
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John Dickson Carr certainly wrote a number of historical whodunnits - including some, IIRC, with an attempt to get the period speech right - vocabulary and patterns. I don't know whether this case was among them. I used to have several - I like JDC's work a lot - but let them go when I moved home a few years ago.

Phil

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 1:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it was Carr, he also wrote a book, THE BURNING COURT, about the contemporary "Affair of the Poisons" in Louis XIV's Versailles.

Isn't it mainly a weird contemporary mystery, with aspects of reincarnation and witchcraft, and some stray historical references?

Chris Phillips

Paul Williams
Sergeant

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 2:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carr's book was titled The Murder of Sir Edmund Godfrey.

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 587
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 3:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul - Well that's certainly an apt title!!

Phil

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 544
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some folks will already know this, but I own the final written statement by Lawrence Hill, one of the 3 executed for this crime, the night before his execution at Tyburn. Cost a bomb but you don't find things like that every day!

The book some of you are referring to by Knight is THE KILLING OF JUSTICE GODFREY published by Grafton in 1984. My copy is in front of me right now. You can get it quite cheaply through AbeBooks.

PHILIP

(Message edited by Philip on June 05, 2005)
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 684
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi George,

Only question is how were you able to get it?

Jeff

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 546
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, Jeff, how difficult it is to tell.

eeeeeeeeeBay gum, as they say in the North of England (or not).

I could possibly scan it in, but I am obviously a little loath to let a scanner beam of such intense brightness run across it. Would you like me to type it up though? I could always take a photo of the sheet to go up with it... says he making more work for himself...

I took it along with some of my other show-off pieces to the WS1888 meeting last night. I tell you, it would not have done to have been mugged on the way home and have that folder stolen from me with the things that are in there!!!

PHILIP

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 548
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff et al

Here we go then. The first time this has ever appeared in print. The final written statement of Lawrence Hill...

The last Wordes of Laurence Hill whoe was Executed ye 21th of February 1678/9

I am come to ye Fatal place wher I must end my Life, & I hope with that Courage, which becomes my Inocency : I must now Apeare before the Great Judge whoe Knowes all thinges and indgeth rightly; & I hope it will be Happie for me a Sinner yT. I am thus Wrongfully put to Death. I call God, Angells & Men to wittnesse that I am wholie Inocent of ye Manner, Tyme & Cause of the Death of Justice Godfrie; although (on the Account of ye malice of Wicked men) I am brought to this Shamefull Death, which I hope will give me A Speedy passage to Eternal Life; In this Hope I Die Cheerefully, because of my Inocence, & the Benfitts of the Pretious Wounds of my Saviour, by whose Meritts I Hope for Salvation. I die A Roman Catholique, & desire all such to pray for me. And I pray God (in his Justice) to Discover this Horrid Murther, with the Contrivere therof, that my Inocency may apeare : And though from my Heart I forgive my Accusers, yet I Cyte all such as have had a Hand in this Bloody Contrivance before the Great Tribunal of Gods Justice to Answer for the Wrong they have done to the Inocent, and particularly the Lord Cheife Justice, & the Brothers of Sr Edmond Berrie Godfrie, with the Jurie, Wittnesses and all their Pertakers. Oh Lord blesse & Preserve the Kings Majesty & be Mercifull to this pore Nation, & lay not Inocent blood to it's Charge. Soe I bidd yu all Farewell in Jesus Christ, into whose Hands I Comend my Spirit.

Qualis Vita, Finis ita
Christi Omnia

Mr Harrars Inke
My own Inke

Here's a rather poor jpeg of the actual document

Hill

Please note both this image and the text above are under my Copyright and my decision to publish them on Casebook does not give permission for this information to be extracted and utilised elsewhere.

Hope this gives you all a bit of insight!

Best wishes
PHILIP

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 3:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip

Thank you for posting this - very interesting.

Just a couple of guesses about the transcription - I should think "indgeth" is really "iudgeth" (i.e. "judgeth"). And would guess the "Inkes" at the bottom are really "M[ar]kes".

Only guesses, as the scan is a bit too blurry to read, as you say.

Chris Phillips

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 549
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 3:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris.

It is indeed IUDGETH, but it is also definitely 'Inke' - obviously meaning 'ink' as in use of pen, as in handwriting.

Best wishes
PHILIP

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 686
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 8:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil,

It's very moving, as it is likely that he was telling the truth. It must have been an agony in 1678 to be under such a sentence, for he probably was more than just hanged (i.e., drawn and quartered as well, if the crime was considered a form of treason). What an agony of spirit poor Hill, Berry, and Green had to face. And in the next few years they were joined by Dr. Coleman, Algernon Sidney, Lord William Russell, and the victims in the Bloody Assize. In many ways it was a hideous period.

Jeff

Paul Williams
Sergeant

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mercifully I think these three men were spared the drawing and quartering as the killing of a judge wasn't clased as treason.

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 552
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Paul

They must have thought just how damned lucky they were, and how God had blessed them beyond measure in that knowledge as the tumbrel took them from Newgate to Tyburn!

PHILIP

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.