Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Jack the ripper novel Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Creative Writing and Expression » Jack the ripper novel « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 4:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although I haven't finished it yet would anyone be interested in critiquing my novel about Jack the Ripper?
It is still very much in work and I have a fictional first victim and a fictional suspect. I would be interested in making sure it is as accurate as possible for a piece of fiction Kindest regards, Neil

Kris Law
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kris

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 5:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Neil,

I am actually in the process (long, slow process) of writing a novel abotu Jack as well. I was hoping to slip some of the parts I am working on into the "Short story" thread that I started, but as of yet haven't finished anything I've wanted to post. Maybe tonight.

At any rate, I doubt my novel will be completed for at least a few years. I'm not sure I have everything in me that I need to write it yet, but I'm having a crack at it.

So, I would love to critique your work, and maybe you can take a look at some of the stuff I will be posting on the short story thread in the next couple days.

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 4:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kris: It's amazing how long it takes! I'm in the first stages of the Chapman murder. Hopefully I can break lose here PDQ. And I'll look for your stuff on the short story thread. Neil

Andi Ward
Police Constable
Username: Andi

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 2:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm also in the process of writing a novel regarding JtR, but it's a Dark Paranormal Romance. heh. I'm looking at having mine done and ready for submission by the end of the year, however. My "solution" for the murders is completely fictional, though I will have historical personages as characters.

I'd be interested in looking over other such novels, FWIW.

ii
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 5:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi there!

I am interested in reashearching Jack The Ripper but I dont know where to start!

Can any one help me?

Please get in touch

Robin

Kris Law
Inspector
Username: Kris

Post Number: 422
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robin,

You are already at one of the best places to start your research. Go through the dissertations, they are highly fascinating.

After that, start with libraries and used bookstores. After that maybe public record offices?

Good luck,

-K

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
Its in all of us isnt it!
Right start with FACTS and then fly! thats what I say!

Cheers

-s x

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 3:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi:
Isn't that the truth. I have the Ripper novel in work and one spanning from the Potato famine to the end of the American Civil War in works as well. Too busy for my own good sometimes. Neil

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 896
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 2:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robin

There are more good and reliable books in print on the JtR case now than I have ever known, and I think EVER!!

If you are serious, it is worth purchasing a small library of basic texts for reference. Don't be afraid to make marginal notes in them; underline key sentences etc, use highlighters. All are avaialble as relatively inexpensive paperbacks.

I would suggest:

Philip Sugden - as a basic narrative (ignore his own suspect though);

The Complete JtR Sourcebook (I think it has a different title in the US) - essentially all the contents of the surviving files and much else;

The JtR LETTERS (less essential but a good grounding and source)

Paul Begg's books - which seek to sift truth from the inaccuracies of 100 years of reporting;

Don Rumbelow - his "Complete JtR" has been updated and remains essential reading on the case overall - he provides a good analysis of suspects/theories and the pros and cons of the case against them

Martin Fido - On Kosminski.

AP Wolfe - available in e-format here - will make you think anew, once you have read the basic texts;

A-Z - if you can find a second hand copy - is a useful aid - but always check the facts if you can.

Others may wish to add further suggestions.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil and Robin;
The Complete Jack the Ripper Sourcebook is titled The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Companion: An Illustrated Encyclopedia.
I might also add, Robin, don't hesitate to ask questions and keep an open mind. Everyone has their "favourite" suspect (including me) and their own ideas of exactly how many victims there were and who they were. Having said that,I am contiuously amazed at the wealth of information there is available on these boards and the utterly knowledgeable people on this site. Good luck and good hunting. Neil

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.