Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Interviewing British Serial Killers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » Interviewing British Serial Killers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 757
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

Woke up to this news. I think it belongs to this topic but if the powers that be want to move it then I have no problems.

BBC News

Police want to interview every serial killer in Britain in an attempt to work out patterns of murders.
Scotland Yard are also analysing 12 other categories of murder, including stranger attacks, "honour" killings, and those motivated by homophobia.

Police want to know how the killers initially avoided detection, in the hope of making early arrests in future.

Where possible, the detectives who were originally in charge of their cases will conduct the interviews.

They will be accompanied by a behavioural psychologist and a crime analyst.

It is not clear what criteria police will use to decide who falls into the serial-killer category because the Home Office keeps no definite numbers.

Scotland Yard will need Home Office permission to enter prisons and conduct interviews.

The interviews were planned following the Washington sniper attacks in 2002, in which 10 people were murdered in the United States.

One of Britain's best known mass murderers, Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe, who killed a least 13 women, had been interviewed by police before he was eventually caught.

Dennis Nilsen claimed to have killed 16 young men but was only arrested after the discovery of human flesh by a drains engineer investigating complaints of an unpleasant smell.

Railway Rapists

Other candidates for interview include the Railway Rapists, John Duffy and David Mulcahy, responsible for three murders and a string of brutal rapes, and Colin Ireland, who pleaded guilty to murdering five men in 1993.

The interviews with serial killers are part of a wider initiative that will also see work on 13 categories, including domestic killers and those who murder prostitutes.

The Metropolitan Police is conducting the research on behalf of all forces in England and Wales.

They know many killers will refuse to co-operate but believe some mass murderers will talk to them - especially if they have been in prison for a long time.

If the project is successful, it may eventually be extended to all killers.

Former police chief Keith Hellawell, who interviewed Sutcliffe, said interviews with killers could be useful but said there must be caution.

Previous convictions

"They tell you what they want you to know and to some of them - particularly, I found, with Sutcliffe - it was a game."

Mr Hellawell questioned the "credibility" of suggestions that the initiative could stop serial killers earlier.

"Once in a decade or twice in a decade we have one of these people who are serial killers out of 60 million," he told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme.

"It is virtually like looking for a needle in a haystack.

"Many of them have no previous convictions and it is only when they murder once that you have some basis on which to operate."

Would this be any benefit to us ?

Im thinking of Sutcliffe who I feel is the closest we have to Jack in a UK prison.

Would he talk or just play Bundy type silly sod ?

Your views please.

Monty
:-)

Michael Raney
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

If they talk I think it would be a great help to us. Useful information is always a positive. The insight that it can give can be invaluable. In my work every little tittle of information that we can add to our database can make a difference.

Mikey

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 760
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mikey,

Thats the thing....IF they talk.

Also, are they just gonna tell us what we want to hear ? Play to the publicity, give a run around.

Im not sure of the reasons behind this move to be honest but, like you say, if they do play ball then it would be useful.

Monty

PS You're never in your forties man...you look younger than I. But Ive had a life....my God what a life !!!

Preben Bilkjaer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 2:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was really interesting. Perhaps the authorities could give'em extra cigarettes if they cooperated. But it would be useful because so many are so surprised when discovering that serial killers do not operate as you expect them to. "They can never stop" etc.

I remember the murderer in Stockholm 1958-63 who killed one 6 year old girl in august 63 and one 3 year old girl in september 63. Before that he killed a 60+ year old woman in the summer 1962 and before that a 26 year old woman 1958. He raped dozens of women in between and was obviously satisfied with that between murders. His intelligence was that of an 8 year old.

Not to speak about Tomas Quick who between 1964-1989 have murdered boys and men, and suddenly started murdering girls and a middleaged couple....

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 765
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 6:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Or perhaps the authorities should take away certain privileges if these killers don’t co-operate, or if they start telling obvious porkies.

Now here’s where a lie detector test might come into its own.

Ask ‘em a series of questions, record the answers, then ask the same questions under lie detector conditions.

Take away ciggies and so on/don’t take away ciggies and so on, according to the results.

Love,

Caz, waiting nervously for the human rights brigade

Ally
Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 6:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is just outrageous! To suggest that these poor men be denied their small comforts simply at the whim of police in-terror-gators. Is it not enough that they are imprisoned in cruel captivity that fails to provide them with their emotional needs, that fails to comfort them in times of distress? To now suggest that they should be treated like animals, experimented upon and denied cigarrettes...oh the barbarism displayed towards poor serial murderers on this board is just intolerable.

Disgusted,

Ally

P.S If y'all think I meant that tripe, you're nuts.

P.P.S Forget cigarrettes, try the isolation room and cattle prods.

P.P.P.S Screw the human rights brigade.

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 779
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,

Its possible to suspend someones Human Rights. So suspend them.

Im with Ally, if you commit an act against someone elses Human Rights then I feel you should lose your own Human Rights as soon as you have been found guilty and your appeal has failed...but thats a different thread.

I have the feeling that some, Neilson and Sutcliffe, would jump at the chance to show how bright they are, whilst Brady would deny access yet tell the world he denied access thus courting publicity.

They (by that I mean the Goverment) should never have released this info. Just done the job on the quiet...but hey, he needs the votes...from anywhere !

Monty

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 770
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 2:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree.

The possibly fertile ground has already been contaminated by us knowing about their plans.

I believe there are also ideas circulating about how to tell psychopaths from non-psychopaths as much from the way they answer certain questions as the answers themselves. Talk about telling them how to beat the system!

I was only joking about the human rights brigade.

Let’s let Ally loose on the gits with cattle prods. I always did think Guinea pigs had a raw deal, when there were murderers in captivity just asking to be experimented on.

Love,

Caz

Deborah
Police Constable
Username: Elgyfu

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 1:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gathering such information might be of some use - but how would you know if the murderers were being truthful. Why should they cooperate? Besides, what is this going to prove. There are many types of serial killer, just because you found that, say thirty, were white males with fatherless childhoods for example, would that mean that the next one would be too?
Interesting but it seems to comples a subject to try to box suspects like this.

Patricia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 9:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having worked with very disturbed people for many years, I believe that they (serial killers) would be virtually unable to give a true account of thier motives and personal details. Revealing the bits we want to know. would not compute with thier reality. People dont always come to terms with what they have done, they deny it in many ways. Thier reality changes. They cant help it. We have to understand this and be aware. As for the questioning of seial killers, I think it would be a pointless exersize. Better to study the available history. Would you agree?. Incidently I Met a future child murderer once, even went to party at his house. Turned out after, he had been abused as a child, badly. At the time he appeared very extrovert and happy with his young pretty wife and child. He has a large family who must all have been shocked.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.