Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Harold Shipman Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » Harold Shipman « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through February 06, 2004Ally25 2-06-04  4:05 pm
Archive through February 11, 2004Robert Charles Linfo25 2-11-04  10:16 pm
Archive through March 02, 2004Robert Charles Linfo25 3-02-04  5:17 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 800
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 5:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiddley,

The only decent thing he did was to kill himself and save some taxpayers money as well. Good riddance!

Well said!!

Sarah

rosa
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well Louise;
would you want shipman for your doctor? For your parents? For your children?
or should we simply feel pity for him and keep him in jail? what kind of pity is that?
rosa

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 823
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 7:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rosa,

Good questions.

I wonder how all those patients of his who weren't killed by him felt when they discovered what he had done. If I was one of them I'd feel a bit wary of any doctor I choose in the future.

Sarah

Alan Sharp
Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 491
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 6:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There was a fascinating documentary on RTE last night about Father Denis Maher, the Catholic Priest in Hyde who of course was one of those who had to deal with the aftermath of the Shipman case. A quietly good man who had had to deal with the suffering of so many people it would have driven most of us to drink.

He compared Shipman to the Catholic priests who have been found guilty of abusing children. Both, as he said, had the trust and respect of their local communities and both abused that trust and betrayed those communities utterly.

I actually do understand Louise's point here partly. Shipman was a physician of obvious skill and seems to have been respected and admired by his patients. That skill was wasted by the choices he made in life, and that is one part of the tragedy which should not be forgotten.

However, after watching the program I cannot see how anybody's sympathies cannot lie with the families of his victims and with people like Father Maher who had to pick up the pieces afterwards, rather than with a man who tried to play god and ultimately tried to profit from those actions.

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 841
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan,

Yes it is a tragedy that he wasted his talents as we need all the doctors we can get but he was a monster who abused people's trust and I don't feel sorry for him in anyway.

Sarah

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 823
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 1:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah, Alan, All,

Yes, that's the point I think - the abuse of Shipman's abilities to command respect and admiration.

It was only the fact that he was good enough at his chosen career to succeed in it, that he was then able to use his act as a caring, honest professional, dedicated to good works and to all those who depended on him, to help him succeed in getting away with murder for so long.

Had he not had the medical skill, and had he not then nurtured this 'caring' act to compliment it and provide a cover, his dark side could not have been indulged in the way it was.

Pure, unadulterated ego-inflating selfishness.

Caring my arse.

Love,

Caz

d higgins
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

from the sound of it louise does not know who harold shipman is or what he did

why does she keep referring to him as fred shipman?

DAN

rosa
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 2:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

greetings everyone:
She refers to him as fred shipman because she's thinking of fred west who also killed himself; another garden variety murderer.
Nothing like being dedecated to your career choices
P.S. this is a test to see if I always have to be polite.

cheers
rosa

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, it looks like Louise finally got the hint, or got some counseling or something. Anyway, she hasn't been back.

Mikey

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 857
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 4:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

Good point. I noticed that too.

Mikey,

Maybe she realised that she was wrong. Although not likely, probably just couldn't think of anything to say.

Sarah

Pawawal Hooberdand
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeez Louise!!

What the hell are you on? You speak as though you know the man yet you have not given any proof of this. You call him "Fred" which is, pretty much a nickname used by his closest friends and you claim to understand him. How is that again? How can you understand a man who killed 400 plus people yet never ever claimed responsibility or showed any remorse.

For your information I DID know Shipman (my 2nd doctor) and more importantly I knew several of his victims, at least 5 lived on my road, two being my next door neighbours and two others being the Grandma's of two of my closest friends. There are dozens more with more tenius links to my life.

You claim that the people of Hyde still hold this bastard in some kind of reverance. Well no, no they don't they are sickened, appalled and devastated. You cannot understand this as it hasn't pesonally affected you. You cannot understand how it feels to have so many people taken from you by one hand.

Yes, some people have talked about how good at his job he was but you will find these are mainly old ladies with little money who are gracious if you toss them a paracetemol! More worldly wise residents of my town, like myself, will tell you that Shipman was a nasty, cold and uncaring GP. I would much rather sit out a snidey illness than bother going seeing this nob!

So Louise, what exactly DO you know? As far as I can see you just spurt out the same old "poor Fred, how could he be expected to cope? His mum died goddammit!!". Look Louise, many many people go through much worse than Shipman and never hurt a soul if such trauma effected people in such ways then god help us all when the people of Hyde find a taste for murder after going though everything Shipman put them through.

P.s. apologies for adding to this thread so long after it has been laid to rest.

p.p.s. Would you say it is very worthwhile to send off my letter and join this forum? I mean, I am very interested but is there much more to gain than what I already have access to?

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pawawal,

.p.s. Would you say it is very worthwhile to send off my letter and join this forum? I mean, I am very interested but is there much more to gain than what I already have access to?

Sunshine, its a no brainer.....do it.

Monty
:-)
It begins.....

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3153
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 3:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i can't believe that you of all people said its a no brainer,

though that is true

and no that wasnt an insult before you lot start
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my mamma taught me better than that."

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.